Warts???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cretahillsgal

Reaction score
A friend has a horse with small warts starting to form on its nose.

Does anybody know the best way to remove them? Or prevent them?

I found that smothering them with BABY OIL gel worked by far the best.

Found it out by accident.

A colt we were showing had them horribly. They had been burnt off by the vet and came back worse. But we showed him anyway. And in the three days of the show by the last day he had almost NONE. And they stayed gone.

EDITED TO ADD:

If she turns them out in the sun wait until night time to put the gel on. As the horses nose will burn.

Last edited by a moderator:
They can be a right of passage for some horses. I've heard if you pinch one of them off or pinch to "break" it open, then the immune system will kick in against the others.

One of my yearlings had them on her muzzle. They went away after 4 months or so. I did nothing to them.

My yearling just had one - I pinched it off and it is gone and no others appeared. That is what I always do and it works perfectly for me.
default_smile.png

They go away without treatment.

I have read that they build up the immune system for a healthier horse, down the road.

Juvenile warts can be an indication of inbalance in nutrition. Ask if they have loose minerals available to them. I had a terrible case last summer. Had vet out, even ordered a very expensive shot she had to have every couple days. Took 3 months. Had the equine nutritionist out at the same time as the vet and asked about minerals. Tested our hay and found out that the grain and hay were not meeting the nutritional needs for the growth period.

The other couple yearlings started with a couple, but once on the minerals, they went away within a week.

They went away and she is just beautiful now. I tried the pinching and making them eat it, etc. Didn't work.

I had a gelding that had warts, he came from down south and they had a very wet summer...i just let them run there course and they went away on there own over time ... (not long) ...

Juvenile warts can be an indication of inbalance in nutrition. Ask if they have loose minerals available to them. I had a terrible case last summer. Had vet out, even ordered a very expensive shot she had to have every couple days. Took 3 months. Had the equine nutritionist out at the same time as the vet and asked about minerals. Tested our hay and found out that the grain and hay were not meeting the nutritional needs for the growth period.
The other couple yearlings started with a couple, but once on the minerals, they went away within a week.

They went away and she is just beautiful now. I tried the pinching and making them eat it, etc. Didn't work.

Warts are caused by a very common virus. They have nothing to do with an imbalance of nutrition IMO

Everything I have ever heard and read says warts are a virus they can sometimes spread thru a herd and other horses will not get them at all depends on the immune system I have never heard it had anything to do with nutrition?

It's a virus, and the horses' own immune system will determine how bad they get it or not. Usually, even the worst cases, don't last more than a few months.

Although super ugly, they are fleeting.

Most of the "treatments" may or may not work. I think sometimes it's a placebo effect. My colt got three of them (very tiny) and I was like "oh great." But that was about it. Had I "treated" it I may have thought that whatever treatment worked, but the truth is the three little warts just went away in a few weeks on their own.

Andrea

it is actually a bovine virus that can live in the soil for a very long time. Although it is ugly it is harmless, and once they've had them, I've been told they can't get them again. I've also heard that if you pick them off they go away faster, but for me that was a huge "ick" factor, so just let them go away on their own
default_rolleyes.gif

Julie,

Hey they can try to pinch them off and put some castor oil on them or just let them run their course

that later part is what i am doing ! UGH ! i got my horses back from the farm I boared at to let my pasture grow up

(same farm my mare kira had foaled pacey at ) and low and behold my big boy dewey and kira both got warts at the same time

just popped up here like a month ago ! UGH !!!!!!!!!!!! none of the minis have them and they were all at the same farm down in the same area

it is caused by a virus, we had an out break at one of the farms i worked at and we gave equistem shots pinched and put castor oil on 12 yearlings

that was a fun task to do ! but they all went away after a bit

My big boy dewey he has them on his chin and two on his nose mkes him look ugly but i know they will go away so im just dealing with it for now

and he dont like me to pinch them I tried and yeah he is way way way way bigger than me and just has to pick up he head an inch LOL

Hope she finds something - oh they make a commercial product called warts off you can get from like valley vet stateline or jeffers i think they all have it

We've rarely had a problem, but when they occurred they were on a young horse and Larry would just pinch them off. They were never very big and they never came back........ It's been several years since we've had them on any of our kids.....

I did a google search and found an interesting article.....

http://www.horse-previews.com/1001articles...corner1001.html

Just wanted to add that not only are warts viral, but the predisposition to develop them is hereditary. One of our show mares as a yearling developed a good case of warts. Now her yearling daughter has them as well. They'll eventually go away on their own regardless how you treat them.

Latest posts

Back