~Warning~ Internet Fraud found Us..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JumpinJackFarm

Reaction score
Just a warning...check your statements !!

Our bank (Bank of America) contacted us today inquiring about suspious Internet transactions that happened yesterday... March 29th

There were 2 transactions that totaled over $6000.00

The scary thing is... I HAVE NEVER used the card on the Internet ???

We are so lucky BOA brought this to our attention... I [SIZE=14pt]"only" just check monthly statements.... But NOT anymore![/SIZE]

They did assure us that we would/should [SIZE=14pt]not be responsible for it.
default_pray.gif
: [/SIZE]

And they are investigating and going to do an audit.

They said they were sending us an [SIZE=12pt]affidavit to us to sign as well...stating that we did not activate these transactions[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]**Just be careful everyone...I thought being careful was NEVER typing in your Credit Card # EVER on the Internet...but I guess it is Not
default_rolleyes.gif
:
[/SIZE]

:no: :no: :no: :no: Teri, Sorry this happened. I hope they get it all cleared away for you. Corinne

Wow, a notice like that from the bank would be a shocker. I know you said the $$ was internet transactions, but does that necessarily mean they got your info from the computer? Could be they got it somewhere else and are just making purchases online. I was in an airport one day and found a credit card receipt, with name and cc # laying on the counter. Shortly afterward I got a home shredder and am careful to make sure I run my receipts through it.

Good luck with the "responsibility" part!!

Well thats downright scarey!!! Do you know how they got your info? Thank goodnees they found it in time to stop it! Looks like someone at BOA is looking out for their customers.

I heard on the news yesterday that in our area Marshalls, Homegoods and I believe Target stores all had hackers go into their systems and steal numbers and identities. What a mess!
default_sad.png

I had a similar situation with Bank of America. Thankfully our bank warned us that this was going on so when I got an email asking for my info I didn't give them anything. Just copied it and took it to the bank. They were grateful.
default_wub.png
:

We had a similar situation with another bank and we (well actually, my husband) keeps very VERY close tabs on our bank account. He checks and verifies activity on a daily basis and the bank called him because they noticed suspicious activity that hadn't even posted for us to see yet but were large transactions from overseas companies. We actually thought the call from the bank was suspicious because we hadn't seen anything to validate what they had caught. They cancelled the card and we were issued new cards.

They were very diligent and right on top of suspicious activity which we are very grateful for.

We have no idea our our card information stolen, other than suspecting that it may have been stolen at a restaurant or gas station by the employees.

Last year we had a charge applied to our card of $140 seventeen times in one day! Luckily we check our account every day and caught it and called the bank. It came from one of those family tree sites........have no idea how anyone got the number.

Since then, we have a seperate internet account with one card. If we need something from the internet, we transfer the exact amount into the internet account and process it that way.

We check all of our accounts daily
default_yes.gif
:

The bank thought it was randomly generated....which means it could happen again.

It can happen to anyone at anytime. Very SMART to check accts. daily
default_yes.gif
:

My Hubby asked "how do they nail these guys" and our bank basically said that they will get their money back from the vendor. Then it is up to the vender to take action on the perpetrators (sp?)

There must be a 30 story office building with bank employees working full time to find these frauds....thank goodness they found it so fast. *I am going to check my bank accts. now
default_yes.gif
:

I am sorry this is happening this to you. WE have bought things off the internet for many years putting credit cards numbers up. Have had maybe 2 problems in the many years. There is truly no way to protect yourself from this other than not to have credit cards.

We can call places to place orders. When we do this we hope the person on the other end of the phone is honest and not selling your numbers to others for money. This has happened in our state. Customer Service person was getting $100 per number she supplied to her source. Sure beats the $8 an hour she was more than likely making. Could be a phone purchase, a motel transaction, gas station anywhere you might have used the card.

When I finally broke down and got a debit card I assumed it worked like a credit card. That we were protected against theft and such. But when I called my bank they said no way. That we were not insured for this. Pretty Scary.

Traci

I jus bought a plasma tv a few weeks ago and the same day I made a few hundred dollar purchase at Home Depot. My Credit Unoin called my husband at work to verify these purchases.Of course he didn't know and in fact it was for his birthday.The next day they called me at home and said they put a hold on it to verify before they paid it. I used my debit card so that was good to know.

This happened to me a month or so ago.

Someone charged $80 to an Internet gambling site based overseas. They then tried again to charge $500 to the same site. The first charge went through, but the second one was put on hold (my account is with Wells Fargo) til I called in.

We got a new card, and the bank refunded my money after signing the fraud forms.

I asked them how this could happen and it's no guarantee that the # was stolen from the Internet. You can be the victim of fraud in many ways. Some unsavory employees at a store could have photocopied the info or just copied it from store receipts (this was just after Christmas and it's pretty likely that the number of extra workers at that time of year double the potential for this situation), or sometimes they run software that "guesses" combos of numbers til they get a good one and they keep hitting it.

Just a sad fact of life in today's world. All the more important to find out your bank's policy regarding fraud, and check your accounts carefully.

Sorry this happened!

Liz M.

With all these companies/agencies losing computers etc and getting all of our info out there, dont think we are safe at all anymore. Untill legislation is passed that these entities get fined $$$$ for every single shred of info they loose, this will never stop and we will never be safe.

For those of you who travel and stay at hotels, never turn in the room key if it is a card (similar in size and look to a credit card). Personal information is on that key card, including your credit card info.

Latest posts

Back