Wanting to buy a notebook computer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayne

Reaction score
I got a flier that Dell has a $499 notebook that frankly, has more memory and everything else than my two year old desktop. All I want to do is to be able to access the internet when I travel and maybe play a few simple games (Hoyle cards, etc).

Seems to me, though, that I read a while back that people were having problem with Dell Notebooks. Are there any other makes I should be looking at? I don't want to spend a lot as it does fall in the "toy" category, but I don't want to buy a piece of junk either.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Jayne

Best Buys has a Gateway laptop for $399... which fits in my toy category, if you KWIM? I would never get another Toshiba... as the darn thing overheats all the time. I've been told to get a "hot pad" for it, for another $20.00s but I keep forgetting to pick one up. I've heard from others that they are chronic at over heating which is why everyone has a pad for one.

Anyway, that's all I know on the topic.

God Bless,

Lynn W

I have a Gateway, not a $399 one because I'm a heavy gamer and needed a good graphic card. Now I never thought I would buy Gateway, never thought I would like them, but I love my laptop. I play games, anything from Hoyle to Sims2 on it and it never has over heated. I would highly recomend a Gateway. Stay away from HP as they burn out in about a year. Andf or a laptop you MUST buy the extended warranty as laptops go thru heavy heavy abuse. I bought one for my laptop but not for my desktop.

My fiance has my old Toshiba laptop and I never was thrilled with that one.

If you can find a good price on a Fugitsu ( I think that's how you spell it), get it. My computer guy swears by them. I plan to get one after I wear out this Acer that I have. Don't get an Acer. My husband use to have a Dell and was in to see the computer guy all the time. The Computer guy got him a Fugitsu and they never see each other any more. Kind of like the Maytag Repair Man. Have fun looking.

I guess I am not sure about the price, but I got an IBM Thinkpad for Xmas from my dad and I love it.

The Dells I have heard a lot of bad things about.

Liz

I have Toshiba laptops and have been pretty happy with them over the years. My most recent one had the HD crash 2x! But out of probably 8 Toshiba's, this is the only one I've had much trouble with. I replace them because after awhile, I need "faster" ones to run different proposals / illustrations for clients.

Thank you guys! I will continue with my research and shopping today!

The impetus behind this purchase is that I'm traveling to Oregon to spend a couple of weeks with my mom after her knee replacement surgery and she doesn't have a computer!! What in the world would I do without a computer for a couple of weeks!?

Jayne

HP is the only way to go, I have a laptop, desktop and pocket PC, all HP, all over 2 years old and running fine. I just finished reading an article which said HP is the only company that will resolve any software issues when there are compatibility problems at no charge.

The other companies will as well, for a stiff fee, and this is for the software that comes loaded on your new PC!

I have the Toshiba P25 series, with the 17 inch monitor. My haddrive did die on it and the only one they could replace it with was the exact same model. (Nothing else fit) So I expect it to die again in another year and a half.

While the harddrive was failing I thought it was overheating. But that wasn't the case.

I love it. It does everything I want. I did a lot of research on it beforehand and it was the best I could afford.

Dell has a tendency to put the absolute minimum into their computers. For instance they'll use a harddrive cable that has only one connection, even though they probably had to have that specially made. I was not happy with the desktop I got from them.

My husband has a Dell laptop for work and it seems to be working fine.

My laptop was close to $2000 a couple years ago.

Just remember you get what you pay for. If I didn't need this one for work, I'd get a $500 one for the fun of it. Or get one for my kids.

I have a Toshiba Satellite, don' know the model number as it's on the bottom and I don't feel like picking it up.

I've had it for I think 3+ years now and have never had a problem with it. I have not heard about Toshiba's overheating. Didn't know there is a pad to put underneath it.

I love this puter! Specially now that it's wireless. I can use it anywhere in the house and even out in the yard laying in the hammock! :bgrin

If you have not bought yet, PM me if you need help. I build website, computers, repair them, mod them.....all on the side of course, I can tell you who is bulling you and who isnt. Be very careful with notebooks today, Dell and Apple are both having exploding battery trouble with notebooks using batterys made by sony

Latest posts

Back