Traveling a LOT this summer....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayne

Reaction score
We will be traveling quite a bit this summer, and of course I can't miss even one day of my L'il Beginnings habit, as well as contact with the farmsitter and family members! So, I did a little research and there is a 'wireless broadband card' that you can get (with a subscription to their service as well) that will let you get on line no matter where you're at? I do understand it's like a cell-phone and there are dead areas, but for the most part you can have access in reasonably populated areas.

So do any of you have one of these things or know about this? I see Verizon has two plans, one for 50mg and one for 5gig. What does this mean? The five gig one is $20 a month more, but the 50mg one charges .25 for each minute over some usage limit. So it would only take me 80 minutes to make that $20 extra be a break-even point. And I would only want the service from July through September, so I'd have to go with a month-to-month contract which would be a higher monthly cost than the 2 year commitment but I don't want the thing for two years!

It's all so hard for a non-techie person to comprehend...so is there anyone out there who can help me wade these murky waters?

Thanks in advance!

Jayne

I have one through Sprint and I went with them because their price is for unlimited usage and the other companies had the same price per month but the usage has limits ot it. I use mine everywhere and so far have only had one spot where there was no coverage. Adn teh Sprint network also uses the Verizon Network. They cross over depending on whos coverage area you are in. I love it and could not go without it at this point because we travel so much for our business.

We had the Verizon one that was about $40 per month. It was nice, worked great. The only thing I didn't like was the two year contract. I don't need it now so I discontinued it after the two year period.

I went with the AT&T because of course thats who we got our cell phones thru and it runs about 60.00 a month but we gave up our home phone because for basic home service and the dial up internet we were gonna be paying about the same if not more. And we use our cell phones all the time anyways and rarely used our home phone. And I can take it anywhere so I thought it was worth it for us.

I had dial up, no access to anything else except satellite. I got the wireless from Alltel, because it is who we have our cell phones with, and of course, Verizon and Alltel are merging. That means a lot more access in a lot more areas......I hope!

Anyway, to me it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have unlimited usage, did have to do a two year contract, and it costs 59.95 per month. It is very portable, and can be used on any and all computers. I can take it with me anywhere I go, and still have access to everything. I have a desktop and a laptop, so it is very easy to take it off one and put it on the other. As I said, I think it is great, and once you have it, I bet you won't want to let it go!

Thank you so much for all your help! Looks like I'm heading in the right direction, however...

I just saw on TV that there will be i-phones coming out this summer for $99 that get on the internet, too! Can you check emails and look at websites with those too? Looks like I might have to make a little trip to my nearest apple store!

Thanks again!

Jayne

Latest posts

Back