Want to move.......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boinky

Reaction score
Ok i want to move just about ANYWHERE but here (Maine). I figured i'd put this out here since there are alot of people spread all over the country to see if i can get any decent input from differnt area's! I've been scouring the internet for rental properties where i could keep my horses and not comming up with TONS. either they are way overpriced or someplace that really wouldnt' work for me (ie a a couple hundred miles from any real major town or city...too far for me to drive all the time being sick). I'm really not picky and dont' need anything huge as far as housing for myself. Unfortunatly i don't have an unlimited budget though and would need it to be no more than $550-$600 per month and would have to be dog and horse friendly. In your area/state do you have farm rentals? If so what is the average price of rentals for them? Heck it doens't even have to be a true farm just someplace with a little acerage that I could fence off and put up a run in, i'm certainly able to provide those things myself all i need is LAND and a house/appartment!! lol... Does anyone know of anything like that? anyone able to direct me to some properties? I suspect there are probably alot out there that aren't being advertised. I remember when i Lived in Kentucky if you had connections you could find apartments on local horse farms that would also allow you to have horses ect.. I just don't have those connections anymore.......

I've been glancing through classifieds in Texas, Arkansas, Kentucky, florida, NC, and anywhere that i can come across anything related to farm property. ANYONE have any advice or knowlege of anything???

$500/mo? I pay almost that for just an apartment, no pets allowed. I'm looking for property in SE PA or NE MD and I'll be extraordiarily lucky if I find something under $2000/mo. I'm still looking... you might have to bump your price range slightly to make it work. Land isn't as cheap as it once was
default_sad.png

We rent an older farm house. Our landlords have been great. At first, they said no dogs, which we have two. Once they seen that they were older they were alright with it. Then, when I decided I wanted to get my mini's, it was up to them.(They go away for the winter to Fla) She emailed me back that same day and said go for it.. We put up a fenced area which our two made into a drylot real quick. Our landlords have even offered use of their extra alpaca pasture. So, if you find a area, ask around. If you stress that you will be responsible for your pets and any damage, maybe that will help. It did with us. And we pay 400. for a 3 bedroom farm house with a garage and about 2 acres of land... Good luck..

In various areas around the NW, I know of some farm type rentals that are in that price range.

The problem is that they are rarely around any major metropolises, so the people that tend to be looking in this area are only able to get minimum wage jobs, etc.

But, I think if you find the area you want to go to, and take your time to do some research, you may just be able to find what you need.

The NW is pretty nice...and temperate and we have some great A and R mini horse clubs...
default_smile.png

Liz M.

Come to Oklahoma! I'm sure you could find a place to rent at a price you could afford. Property around the Oklahoma City area will be higher, but get a little ways out of town, or move to one of the surrounding cities and the rental will be cheaper. Lots of land here, lots of miniature horse people and lots of miniature horse shows!
default_smile.png

You can pretty much rule out California at $600.00 or so a month.

I live in one of the poorest county's in California and you would be lucky to get an apartment for under $600.00.

As far as California goes the land prices where I live are a lot less than elsewhere in California.

If I had not bought our place 20 years ago I would not be able to buy it in todays market.

default_yes.gif
: How about Ireland? The grass is always green, there's almost no snow, definately no lions n other scary big animals to eat minis. No snakes! And no terribly dangerous creepy crawlies! And it's just fab if you like lots and lots of rain
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Kate

Oklahoma City is one of the lowest cost housing cities in the US. It is a big city in land area, but much of that land is rural/farm. I have no doubt there would be something in your price range in the OkC area and even lower pricing a little farther out. I would suggest doing an internet realty search in the OkC area.

We rented out our 5 acre farm after buying, but before we moved here in '97. the rent was around $650 if I remember correctly. 3 bed rock ranch house, barn and some fencing at that time. 3 minutes from interstates, 20 minutes from shopping and doctors. I imagine rents have gone up some, but should still be in your range.

Good luck in your search and you sure came to a good place for country wide information!

Charlotte

Hi Boinky -- here in Central Illinois farmhouse rentals with a small acreage are renting in about your range. We're located mid-way between Champaign and Bloomington (30 miles each way), so it isn't too far to whatever you might need. If you get much closer to a decent-sized town than that the price goes way up, but most central Illinois locations have at least a small town where most of lifes necessities can be obtained within 10 to 12 miles.....we're 10 miles from Gibson City, which has a wonderful hospital and a wide range of doctors connected with major clinics in Champaign/Urbana, a nice grocery store, feed stores, and a big farm supply store similiar to Tractor Supply, hardware store and numerous places to "eat out". Oh yeah, and in the summer even a 2-screen drive-in movie theater (shades of the 60's LOL). Kaykay lived here until a year ago, and can tell you quite a bit about the location too. I'd LOVE to have you in the area, we need more mini-people, and as I recall you have a fondness for Circle S Bill Bailey horses from Century Farm (me too, have owned 2 and have a grandaughter here now), and you have Aussies (I have the mini-Aussies). Find a location in my area, and we'll GO PLAY. (Maybe a road-trip to Century Farm?????)
default_yes.gif
:

LOL I'd LOVE to move to ireland..lol but that would probably be unrealistic since i don't really want to part with the horses I have... I have one big one that will be with me untill she dies. She's 20 this year but i have no doubt she has about 20 more years in her since she still looks and acts like a stupid 2 year old and no signs of real age! lol and importing them would probably be WAY above my budget..LOL

Actually after going to Nationals Oklahoma was one place i was seriously giving thought to. I had the opportunity to see OKC becausei took my dog down there to breed her while at nationals. Really loved the looks of the outskirts. I saw prices of rental (anything) was very low and the land looked very nice... Anyone know of any good classified that advertise stuff like that in that area?

Ginia,

Yep i have the Circle S Bill Bailey daughter. I wouldn't mind illinois and where your suggesting sounds fine. I'm not big on Cities and i don't want people to think i mean i have to live right in a city..LOL i just meant i wanted SOMETHING within 2 hour drive..LOL.. Where we live here in Maine the nearest "larger" city is Bangor (which isn't a large city..but has alot more of everything). The closest "town" with stores in 15 minutes away so i'm used to driving some to get what is needed..i just don't want to have to dive 2 hours to the closest feed sore or whatever! LOL I'd love to move someplace with more of EVERYTHING going on. here in Maine we have nothing. the closest dog shows and herding trials are 6 hours away... the closest sanctioned show's for horses are at LEAST 4 hours away if not more. the Horse heads new york shows are 10 hours from us. Anything has GOT to be better than here. OUr winters are 7 months long (beleive me that runs up quite a hay bill every year! lol). We have neighbors that moved in that aren't animal people and are giving us a terrible time and it's just TIME TO MOVE!

Any suggestions on classified ads or whatever in your area I could look through to see if i can find something?

Hillary

An hour south of OKC is nice too! We are down here. It's close to the shows in OK and TX too! Right now we're in between R Nationals and AMHA World show. Plus there are tons of mini people. Can you look in the Lawton OK area too? It's the 3rd largest city in OK.

Well..........Don't move to York!! Sooooooooo expensive!
default_wacko.png
:

$850 for a large studio appartment, that is what my friend gets! It is crazy!!!!!!!

and about Ireland, York is cheap compared to Ireland! I have often thought of moving back but it is way to expensive!

How can you leave beautiful Maine
default_wink.png
:
default_smile.png

LOL fiona..well you have heard a little about my LOVELY neighbors..well lets just say even though we won our case with the dogs....it's not ending!!! t's TIME TO MOVE..i can only fight just so much and it's not like i can afford all the legal fee's ect. Even though we are in the right it doens't matter..they are going to continue to make our life miserable. AND if i'm going to move..lol i'd rather move someplace where it's not winter 7 months of the year and i don't have to pay as much in feed bills because it's winter all the time! LOL and someplace horse and dog friendly!

I live in Shelby,NC and to me its nice around here. The closest big city is Charlotte, lots of work there.

Its about an hour from here. There is a lot of property around here,, I am not sure of any rental available. But we are close to the Fletcher show and the East coast mini club puts on a show every year.

Dont know about dog shows.

Just Google a search of Cleveland County farm rentals.

For $300 a month you could BUY a place here :new_shocked:

I live in SE Pennsylvania, 1/2 way between Philadelphia and Allentown, and you couldn't find a small 1 bedroom apartment for under $550 around here. I would REALLY love to move, taxes are so high here and the area is getting to developed. We are waiting for an offer that we can't refuse on our land and we are out of here LOL. Good luck :bgrin

Latest posts

Back