VEWT & WNV

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denise

Reaction score
Does anybody give the Vewt & WNV combo shot to your horses? I'm wondering if it is to much to give at one time. I have some horses that are hard to give shots to and this sure would make my life easier. But then if they had a reaction I wouldnt know which shot caused it. Looking for pros and cons here. Thanks.

I've given the Ft Dodge WNV combo shot every year since its been available; I had one reaction, my APHA mare got a golf-ball sized swelling at the injection site, one year (she was fine the next). Although, this year, I think I want to try the new WN vaccine [Prevenile, I think is the name] at least for my pregnant girls, and split up their vaccines, give VEWT 30 days prior to foaling and WN after foaling just for peace of mind.

Most of the vets are recommending you do it separate.

I've given both ways.

The AAEP site is saying do it separate.

I just had the vet do three of my horses with the combo EWT/WN shot yesterday....this is the first time I have done combo shots in many years (last time I had reactions, but it was a combo with flu/rhino). So far, so good...no problems with the shots yesterday. It seems the shots I see reactions with are the flu/rhino shots (and the vet did them for me at the time). Out of 20 horses that got the flu/rhino combo shot a few years ago, 10 of them had high fevers, disorientation, staggering and could not lift their heads (shots were in the neck) for almost a WEEK! Guess what? I don't even vaccinate for flu/rhino now since I don't have much exposure. It certainly is easier to give only one shot, though. I usually will give them at two-week intervals (the ones I can get myself), but I always have the vet give the initial shots to weanlings who have never been vaccinated before, just in case they do have a reaction (that's the reason for my vet doing the shots for me yesterday). I have not previously been able to buy the West Nile separately myself, but I think it is available now at equine supply stores/online.

Latest posts

Back