Vet wants me to give him wormer...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I took Erick to be gelded I weighed him on our scale at 172 lbs. Just for fun I asked the surgeons what they would have guesstimated his weight at if I had not been able to weigh him. Their guess was 350lbs. Unless a vet has a lot of chances to weigh minis they are not good at estimating their weight. 500 lbs is a small hunter pony.

Double dose of pyrantel one time kills tapeworms, double dose fenbendazole for 5 days kills encysted small strongyles.

I cannot believe a Vet can be this wrong.

I suggest you print out some of this (you can do your own research, BTW and get corroborated evidence) and then ask him forhis evidence???

Do not use Moxidectin (Quest) it even has a warning on the insert for crying out loud!!

There is a lot you can get away with but, when your luck runs out it is the horse that will pay the price.

I never had a horse die from using Moxidectin either but I stopped using it after I had done the research.

It is not so much the dosage, either, but how the chemical is absorbed and stored.

Look it up for yourself, I think you may have cause for thought afterwards.

Kentucky Equine Research did a study of miniature horses weights a few years ago. They came up with a fast and very accurate (92%) way to get a weight on your horse.

(11.36 x girth) + (2.85 x height) - 357.26

For a 34" horse, with a 40 in heart girth, weight would be 207.

That said - is this a vet you use regularly? Do you trust him? Has he (or she) proven their knowledge? If yes, why would you go against his advice? If not, get a second opinion by another licensed vet.

Back