Vet wants me to give him wormer...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoddalottaFarm

Reaction score
Hey all!

I took one of my geldings to the vet today. We went through a battle of strongyles last month and ever since he's been losing weight like crazy. He did and exam and blood work today and and we have a couple minor issues to work on, but he believes we could still have encysted strongyles. My gelding is 34" tall and 10 years old. I don't think he's even 200 pounds right now. The vet told me to give him Pyrantel pamoate once a day, for 5 days. He said to double the normal dose of a 400-500 pound horse and just give him the whole 1,000 pound dose. I know he knows what he's talking about, but I still don't feel right about giving him a 1,000 pound dose of wormer. He's so skinny and thin right now. Has anyone ever had to deal with encysted strongyles and had to do a 'power worm' for 5 days? If so, could you please post your experience? Thanks so much!
default_wacko.png

I would consult another vet!

Sounds like you are talking about a daily wormer? IMO, you're better off doing the regular worming according to your gelding's weight.......wait a couple of weeks and repeat. This would be more apt to get the "newly hatched" before they have a chance to lay eggs. I don't think your vet is taking into account the worms' gestational period....but what do I know? I'm not a vet.

Diane,

I think it's sometimes called a "purge" worming, and I've done it before. HOWEVER, I've always been told to do double the horses weight, once per day, five days in a row. So, in your case it would be 200lbs X 2 for a 400lb dose. Of course, your vet knows more than I do, but a 1000lb dose daily for 5 days sounds a bit much to me.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

I'd agree with Parmela. When I've done the five day purge worming, I always double the horse's weight. This may have a wide margin of safety, but if I were you I'd at least call another vet for an opinion.

Jan

Are you sure it is Pyrantel Poamate? Safequard (generic fenbendazole)is the product that kills the encysted bloodworms at a double dose (for the weight of your horse) for 5 days - double dosing (once) with Pyrantel Poamate kills tapeworms. I would check back with your Vet - also, go with your gut just because he/she is a Vet does not make them infallible. Do some research (you can go to Intervet's website and check out the info on wormers- they produce Safeguard) or www.durvet.com (they make the pyrantel poamate in generic form) I'm not sure I would personally worry about the weight issue as Safeguard it suppose to be very safe eveb at a overdose (hence the name) but I would try to get an accurate weight on your guy becasue 200 lbs sound seriously malnourished for a 34" mini

Good Luck with your guy! He sounds like such a sweetie!

Diane, do you have access to a agricultural scale to weigh your gelding?

If your vet doesn't have one at his practice to weigh horses....try a local coop elevator where they weigh the grain semi's on a big scale. All grain elevators have them as that is how they weigh loads/figure bushels for farmers.

What I do is ask the person inside the coop if I can weigh my horses. Then I stand on the scale with the mini. Then come back alone and weigh me seperately. Deduct my actual weight off the first weight total of me+horse and you have a pretty good indication of your horses actual weight. They will give you a scale ticket and charge usually isn't anything as they enjoy seeing the little horses.
default_wink.png

I do this once a year as it does help to properly dose wormer and have had great success. It wouldn't be practical for big herds but it works great for those that are tough to guess weights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I decided I should worm my horses. I had bought some Ivermectin. Dialed up the weight for my colt. dialed up the next dose. Went out and put my arm around my Missy's neck and she fought me just a bit. I got the applicator into her mouth and pressed the plunger and the dial went click, click, click. I gave her the dose for a 700lb horse. She weighs about 280lbs. I ran right in and called the vet. They said that with ivermectin you can give 10x's the dose and it won't hurt them. I am keeping an eye on her though.

You want Panacur or Safeguard. fenbedazole (AKA Panacur Powerpack)

This is the only way I know of to get rid of 3rd stage incrusted strongyles.

I first learned about this 5 yrs ago when a client horse had the same problem yours does.

He kept lossing weight no matter how much they fed him. We pulled a fecal and did the pwerpack and he's been fine ever since.

I do this once a year with my guys.

Like everybody's wrote, 2 X the normal dose for 5 days straight.

Have you tried a weight tape on your horse ?

My 34" guys run about 250 - 300 lbs. I have access to a scale.

I read somewhere that both Safeguard and Panacur are so safe the ONLY way you can kill a horse with it is to drown them in it.
default_biggrin.png

Lucy

I always double dose strongid; always have. It is very safe but dosing for 1000 pounds? Thats a bit over the top. I'd have no problem with dosing for 400 pounds.

I would have no problem double dosing for 400 or even 500 pounds, but that sounds like an awful lot! You can always get a second opinion, but I know that many of the wormers have been tested to be VERY safe- this just seems like a huge amount.

gonna post a link here to the University of Illinois vet hospital. when i have EVER had a question my own vet could not answer to my satisfaction or if i wanted another opinion, this is where i called...

http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/vth/AboutUs/Contact.html

haven't had to call there in a very long time, probably several years, but when i did, they were always very helpful and i never had to sit on hold very long before i was transferred to a vet.

I havent done it to the minis, but was having problems with a QH vet suggested the Panacur Power pack like Journeys end said. 5 days double dose. One tube treats 1100 lb. I had no problem with it. Kathy

Another way to take care of encysted strongyles is moxidectin......GASP!! Qwest!
default_new_shocked.gif

All right, now before everyone jumps up and down about all the overdoses that killed minis YEARS AGO let me explain. Yes, moxidectin can be toxic and the issue with overdoses had to do with the syringe. Moxidectin is safe when carefully administered and I have a whole herd of horses at my house that proves they can get it and live. Instead of dosing double the dose, for 5 days, I give one dose of moxidectin. And haven't killed anything, except the worms.

BUT, get a weight on your mini WITH a scale before you give ANYTHING (single or double dose).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all! I wanted to take a moment and thank each and every one of you who either posted or sent private emails about my question! I have done some research online, and I have also contacted the vet. The vet stands firm on what he said. However, I am going to dose Sammy using Safeguard instead of the wormer the vet suggested. I'm also going to weigh him and double dose his weight. The vet said he "looked to be" about 500 pounds and that is why he said to give him a whole tube. Thanks so much to everyone!

I would not use Quest, nor would I EVER recommend double dosing with it. I understand this is why many Minis died- they were slightly overdosed and this drug is very sensitive to weight and exact dosage.

Just to clarify: I said ONE dose of moxidectin and never recommended double dosing it.

As far as estimating weight, I played a little game with my vet students when we had several minis in. I had them guess their weight first, then I gave my estimate, and then we weighed them. I was always within 20-50 lbs while my vet students where 200-400lbs off. If your mini weights 500lbs, then it should look like a love seat!
default_new_shocked.gif

Latest posts

Back