Vet talking about tubing Ginger

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhHorsePee

Reaction score
I am just at such a loss about Ginger. They are considering placement of a nasogastric tube for her feedings. I have to make a decision tomorrow. The vet there is going to call my regular vet and ask them if they want to deal with an NG tube in the field. I think I will speak to my regular vet in the morning. Her liver enzymes have all been great. The only factor now is her blood glucose. They are weaning her foal tonight. They have not done a visual oral cavity check yet which I asked for. What would your call be at this point? The vet said she acts as though she is so tired. My heart tells me to keep trying but my head says there has to be a limit of putting her through testings and procedures. My heart is breaking for her! I am certain the removal of her foal will stress her something terrible and her sugar will crash. I just don't know what to do.

Please help me decide. Please keep Ginger and Maverick in your prayers tonight.

Thank you

Fran

I am not of any help with the glucose problem, nor the feeding tube (is she not eating enough on her own, or what is the reasoning on the tube?) but yes, I can see she will be stressed at having her young baby taken away. Is there no way to keep the foal with her but prevent it from nursing--she will still have the foal's company, yet it won't be nursing & dragging her down?

Best of luck with both mare & foal & whatever you decide. It's a tough call for sure.

Fran have they checked for a uterine infection? The mare that had the calcium deficiency also came down with a severe uterine infection. Her temp was normal so they were not looking for it. It did however, turn up in the blood test. She was put on IV fluids and the foal stayed with her. Both are doing fine.

Ginny StP

added

I would go with the tube if that's what the Vet thinks will help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prayers for All. The feeding tube might help, but they need to find what is causing her to drop the glucose levels. Thyroid comes to mind. Minimor has a great idea muzzleing maverick so he can't nurse or pull the tube out.

Jean

Fran,

I am so sorry she is not improving.

The feeding tube will help her hold her own, prevent her from going down hill so to speak. If she were mine, yes I would do it. JMO

Prints had a feeding tube and did fine with it for a few weeks. She was a new foal and weak, it did good things for her.

Ask questions over and over, and I am sure you will make the right decision.

best of luck

Thank you all! Needless to say I haven't slept well this week. My regular vet will be in his office soon and I am going to go with what he suggests. I don't think her care has been very good up there. They are not going to muzzle Maverick. He was placed in a stall across from her with only baby gates for their stall doors. I know she will come right through that! Their way is the best way don't you know. I am so frustrated and worried.

Fran

The only horse we've had on a feeding tube was a foal that almost died at birth and was very weak (a distocia) He was on it for 48 hours. It worked VERY well and left us with a very healthy foal. The vet taught us how to use it.

Good thoughts coming your way.

Charlotte

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to talk with Jan (Multi-hitch) she just got Piper home and he had to have a feeding tube for several days and in fact is still being fed by a syringe. She can be contacted at [email protected]

She might be able to help you.

Latest posts

Back