Vet is on his way

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minibossmare

Reaction score
My vet is coming out, and I had mentioned tetracycline to him, he said he had heard of it, but never has tried it, Can those of you that have used it give me more info? He said we may need to also splint her legs..he will know more when he gets here. SO how often do you give the tetracycline?? One dose IV or does it need to be repeated.....

Thanks!

the tetracycline treatment is actually an overdose of it done by IV.. if results will happen you should see them within 24 hours of treatment.

That said this is not done without risks we have only done it once it was about 8 years ago. I think it was the liver the or perhaps kidneys the vet said the risk was to. She did blood work before and after and then again the following day.

In our case it did work with no bad results.

Its very risky... it can easily cause too much relaxation in the tendons and go from contracted to too-relaxed. Its usually a last-ditch effort, I know of several vets who refuse to use it for that danger.

If your vet does it since he is not familiar with it he should check with a big hospital or a vet that is! It affects the tendons and muscles, and since the heart is a muscle it can affect it. Tetracycline must be administered at a certain rate intraveiniously. I had A filly that we did this to we also had to splint her and do surgery. And more tetracycline and more splints. But my vets did this all under the guidance of New Bolten, The hospital that treated Barbaro. This filly did straighten out but it also required alot of therapy at home. Splints and later leg wraps. GOOD LUCK! Lorie

Latest posts

Back