Vet books?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingminihorses

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what Vet guide books or horse care books have been most helpful to you? It has been a long time since we have owned horses and I would love a book that went into depth of diseases, common problems, info about vaccines and foaling, ect. and lots of pictures are a plus too. What about the book "Miniature Horses: A veterinary guide for owners and breeders"? Any reviews?

Thanks for any help!

Lindsey

Lindsey,

I don't have that particular book, but the one I find most helpful (and it's title alludes me at the moment) is a spiral bound emergency reference book. There is also a fairly big book titled "How to be your own vet, sometimes" that I've found useful in the past.

Captain M. Horace Hayes's "Veterinary Notes for Horse Owners"

I bought my first copy with a book token when I was 13 (1973!) My kids bought me an updated copy a few years ago. I've referred to it time and time again. If not to find out problems for myself, then to expand on what the vet had already told me. An invaluable book but not for the equine hypochondriac!

K

Yes, I like that book a lot. I use it for reference for such things as:

- when do their teeth come in/fall out

- weight calculation based on measurements

- growth chart (foal heights/age = estimate mature height)

- anatomy questions

- health and nutrition issues specific to minis

I also like "Miniature Horses: Their Care, Breeding and Coat Colors" by Barbara Naviaux and "Horse Owner's Veterinary Handbook" by James Giffin and Tom Gore."

For horsekeeping and general maintenance, I like Cherry Hill's books, and for general training I LOVE John Lyons.

I have a couple new (to me) books on driving that I like a lot also, while I'm in bibliography mode:

"The Essential Guide to Carriage Driving" by Robyn Cuffey and Jaye-Allison Winkel

"Carriage Driving: A Logical Approach Through Dressage Training" by Heike Bean and Sarah Blanchard

"Competition Carriage Driving on a Shoestring" by Jinny Johnson

and of course my old standby

"Breaking and Training the Driving Horse" by Doris Ganton

Hope this helps! (As you can see, my philosophy is "you can never have too many horse books!"

There are two that are invaluable to me. The first was a textbook when my hubby took Equine Managment at the Tech School. It's The Illustrated Veterinary Encyclopedia For Horsemen, by Equine Research. And the second has been so helpful and is just awesome and uses both holistic and traditional medicine. Complete Holistic Care And Healing For Horses, by Mary L. Brennan DVM

Blessed are the Broodmares, and the Complete Book of Foaling. Even if you only raise one foal..I think both of these books should be a MUST HAVE and also kept with you when the time comes, with pages marked for a emergency. Vet. Notes for the horse Owner and also Miniature Horses there Care and breeding.

Latest posts

Back