Very disturbed and with some newbies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've gotten those, too:

Someone who wanted my 30" gelding for pony rides.

Someone else who wanted a "cheap" Mini to keep their ex-racehorse company.

Someone who wanted bred mares, so they could make cheap pet horses.

I do sell to newbies. But, I also make sure they know what they are getting into. Because we were ALL newbies, once. If Darla hadn't sold my Arab to me 26 years ago, a newbie, I wouldn't have had an awesome horse. And if Mags hadn't sold Red to me 9 years ago, I wouldn't have had my first Mini horse.

Lucy

I too think the newbie is very important to the breeders.... there may be some that cannot be educated but I do believe most really want to learn. We don't do a lot of breeding....seems like there are just way too many minis on the market now but I have always taken the time to share the knowledge I have because I always want the best for a horse I do sell. Although I still conside myself a newbie I think I have learned well and want to share that knowledge with anyone that would like to learn. I want to be treated well and I want to treat others the same. Mary

:aktion033: :aktion033: Well said Marty and others too. I have been lucky to not have to deal with people like that and have very little experience with selling as I have only had a couple of my horses go to new homes. Right now I am up to four horses. Three minis and a big horse. I may not make much money and I sure can not afford to buy horses up front generally. But I can safely say that my horses get fed well, and are taken care of well. All of my animals and my daughter get it better then I do. They are my priority and will continue to be so. I have yet to have my property set up the way I want it so everyone is in their own little paddock and get turnout to play etc whenever I can. I have many people inquire about them and comment on how cute they are and well fed. I am only on two acres and the horses are tucked away because I dont want to worry about someone messing with them when I am not there. Most people dont know I have horses there but the ones that do seem to enjoy seeing me working with them when they drive by. I may not be as well off as some people here but what I have is taken care of and its nice that I can educate some people in my area and that they enjoy seeing them. Eventunally I do plan to foal out a mare from time to time but like Marty will be picky of who the foal would go to if I decide to sale. Thankfully I have not delt with people like you guys have and hope I wont for a while. I tend to be too brutally honest at times, harricane can vouche for that. :eek: Anyways enough of me rattling on, sorry

I've thought long and hard before posting this, and almost decided not to. But since I have felt the same as some other 'newbies' here, I am choosing to go ahead.

There are alot of us newbies out here in the world, that just has a hearts desire, and we shouldn't be judged as bad because of it. It doesn't mean that we are in the dark about the comitment of responsibility. Just means we are unlearned about many things. I mean, isn't that why we are all here in the first place, to learn more? And if I can learn from someone elses mistakes or advice, isn't it worth the effort of being here and asking questions? Please don't group all newbies in the same, 'I wouldn't sell to' catagory. Now I can see where some of those posts, like Marty and others posted, WOW, even I wouldn't want to sell anything to, and thats just common sense.

Please people, remember that talking in posts is so much different than talking in person. SO much has to be left out when typing, so it is easy to misunderstand, and I, for one, am not really good with words to convery my thoughts on typing, so I tend to ramble sometimes in hopes to not be misunderstood.

I consider myself a 'newbie' as well. Over the period of 8 years I had a few horses/ ponys, and I dearly loved them. I've been without a horse now for 7 years, not by desire. Now we have purchased a mini for our children (and me, but we won't tell the kids that, ha-ha).

I am sure to have many more "stupid" questions but I have begun to get a little inferior of wanting to ask questions in fear that my question may be too stupid or overlooked because I'm not a big breeder. I'm just a little "guy" and plan on staying that way. There are no other forums that compare to LB. I have learned so much just from reading and I know that you are quite knowledgeable. Many of you are very thoughtful and understanding and patiently give wonderful advice. So hopefully you all will allow me to grow here with you, and forgive me of ignorant questions that I may have along the way.

~Karen

Latest posts

Back