Very disturbed and with some newbies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Sorry the topic should read very disturbed with some newbies (How do you edit a title?)

This is not about "newbie bashing" in general, but it's about some newbies that refuse to learn horse care. They want horses. They love horses. They always wanted one all their lives, but they don't know how to pick up a book or research horse care. This I do not understand.

I am getting very disillusioned about the type of newbies that are wanting to purchases my sales horses or horses that I have on consignment. I am certainly not God's gift to horses, and I am not wanting to preach horse care, nor am I any kind of authority on it, and heaven knows, I have made my share of mistakes with horses, but what ever happened to a little good old fashioned common sense?

"Buy my horse, pay me the money, I don't care who you are, or what your intentions are or if this horse is suited to your level of horsemanship, just show me the money"........

There seems to be a lot of this.

And this is not about the money. I can get my full asking price. Price is not my rant. It's the level of people that are not willing to care enough to care about care~ (did that make sense?)

Are these little guys supposed to be that indispensable?

Are they suppose to be little toys to discard in a corner someplace when people are done oohing and ahhing over them......and they get to be a pain in the neck or too much trouble? Ongoing care being what it is and all.......

Where are the good homes?

If I didn't care where they went and about their future, I think I could make a very good living just selling horses. But I do care and I will always care. I will never lower my standards of who buys a horse from me. I don't want to get a phone call someday that one of my horses is standing in some auction lot sick and starving because I sold to anyone for the asking. Or that the people "goofed" and sold the horse to just "anyone" that had the money. I know I am not alone here. The dirty, filthy, low down, cruel, abusive, public auctions are making money hand over fist selling to anyone, and here we are, some of us sitting on nice healthy, lovely horses because WE CARE.

Cases in point: These are just all short excerpts of things I have been told:

1. This guy called Jerry from out of state up north just last week. He was dumb-founded and passed the phone to me and said he couldn't deal with it. They just bought a unregistered mare from the public auction for $300. and do not know her age, no papers and need to buy a stud to put her with. She already had a baby last year so she is a "good breeder" :new_shocked: They said the mare "wants to have a baby" ??? Don't care about papers, bloodlines, height is not known, but around 3 feet or so maybe......etc.

2. This one is local and just arrived on my doorstep on their way to the local Christmas Tree Farm: Bought a 7 month old filly from the auction for child's Christmas to have a good experience in responsibility, but has no papers, doesn't matter, but need a stud horse to breed her to sell the foals and make some money for himself since he is too young to work. Has a buyer for the foals already willing to pay up to $400. if it's a "girl"

3. Husband doesn't want to mow the yards anymore because he is not well. Have no fencing but we have many trees to tie the horse up to and can rotate the rope every couple of days. There was a lot more to this one......

4. Wants a horse for his new baby grandson to play with when he comes for a visit. However, he gooes away in the summer months and the horse will be fine if he puts out plenty of water in a big bathtub. His cattle and other horses do just fine left unattended when they travel.

I could go on and on with the things I have been told but you get the idea. It's amazing though how people will pay good money for the horses, but refuse to be open to learn and be educated on the care and on-going responsibility.

I dealt with many newbies in big horses in the past with no real problems like this and it was a good experience. Why on earth do people think that because Minis are just little guys that they don't deserve the same treatment and care that you would provide for a big horse is beyond me.

What is with these people that want to buy a horse on a whim, and not bother to know what is really involved?

Last edited by a moderator:
AMEN to that! I couldn't agree with you more.

:worshippy: :worshippy:

AND THIS IS THE REASON WE HAVE ONLY SOLD ONE OF OUR BABIES AND HAVE ENDED UP KEEPING 14 OF THEM. NO NEW BABIES, WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A GELDING PARTY AND I DOUBT IF ANYONE WILL EVER LEAVE, THEY ARE LIKE OUR CHILDREN, AND WE MAINLY GET THE SAME TYPE OF PEOPLE STOPPING IN.

AUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :new_shocked:

Great vent Marty! :aktion033: :aktion033: I've had minis for almost 8 yrs and and have had babies for 3 of the last 5....I have sold some older and younger, traded others but I know how fussy I am and if you're 1/2 as fussy as I am....well....we just have to keep being tuff on them and hope and pray they learn. I am not breeding any more....maybe one day but not for quite a while. Too many mini kids out there....dispersals and health issues, hay shortages.... and when I read the boards and auctions and I really worry about our furkids future.

I agree amen :aktion033: Thats why I dont sale any of mine,Yes I do like showing but I got into minies Knowing how many I wanted,I do not breed all of my mares I just have one due next year but no matter what it is boy or girl its staying with me.I just dont trust people at all They are my kids and they should stay where there loved and taken care of.but that is just me.

I do understand your frustration.

But, those situations is where you share all you have learned from the forum and elsewhere,

don't let them frustrate you,,,,,,,educate them!!!!!!

Coming from a "newbie", I think people are just stupid in general. Add "not really giving a darn", and you have ignorant buyers. Bottom line, I think people associate the small horses with having large dogs. They don't really take into consideration how expensive and time consuming these "small horses" can be.

Personally, I was raised in a family (grandma, aunts, cousins) that all had horses. I knew they were expensive to own, but I had no real idea of how much things would add up. I have had my two minis since June, and not including the prices to buy them, I have spent nearly $3,000 just in their fencing/run-in, boarding (at my neighbors), shots, one gelding surgery, food and farrier. That's not even including all the extra things I get them like treats, halters, blankets that didn't fit, buckets, brushes, toys, wormers, fly sprays and costumes. Even the tiny things add up. I'm just greatful that I waited until I was old enough and actually stable enough money wise, to get horses.

Really good post, maybe it will make people new to horses realize that these animals are NOT big dogs, and they shouldn't rush into buying them just because the opportunity presents itself. Hopefully, it's a lifelong decision, and it shouldn't be made on a whim.

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: I couldn't have said it better myself. I know that many don't think that we have any kind of problems in the miniature horse breed and the things you bring up are just a few of them and it all boils down to "educating" these "newbies" but WHO IN HECK is going to "educate" the breeder that keeps dumping their unwanted and more times than not unregistered stock at low end auctions. In the last week, I always keep my eye on the "broker" sites through a specific rescue and I counted, 14 minis :new_shocked: :new_shocked: :new_shocked: Now I am not talking about a broker when the animal is being sold for a reasonable amount of money and is papered. I am talking about the brokers that pay maybe $200 for the animal at a low end auction and try and turn around and make a profit by asking $350 and up to $500. I was absolutely astounded at the numbers of minis living this at the moment and I keep hearing people here say "no there is no problem". WAKE-UP PEOPLE!! Sorry I need to rant too, must be the stress of Christmas coming and the thought of all these unwanted fur babies, makes me so sad.

This why I won't advertise my filly for sale around this time of year. They think it is a wonderful Christmas gift for the kids but after they get bored it is stuck out in a pen or pasture and forgotten and then possibly taken to a auction.

AAARRRGGGHHH

Carlene

I agree with Marty.I think that because the Minis are dog like in many ways they get treated like dogs by many newbies.When you get tired of it just throw it away.Look at our animal shelters that are jam packed with animals people have decided they no longer want.I sell every animal from this farm with a clause in the contract that says I will buy it back.It works most times.I have refused to sell to people who came here to buy&I felt it would not be a good home for my animal.I get really upset when I go to some of these auctions and many Minis are just dumped there(even by big breeders)I think these special little horses deserve a good life-good feed and water, shelter from the weather,farrier care, vaccinations,training and attention.

not to add more examples to a list of them but i got this e-mail from someone who saw our rescue website:

"i just happpened to stuble across your web site and have fallen in love with what you people do. How ever I was wondering if you ever come across any dwarf ponies, could you please let me know, the last one I found got eaten by coyotes before I even had him home at the farm, so if you happen to get one (hopefully not mistreated to bad or at all) could you please e-mail me I would adopt him or her in a heart beat"

i was quite taken aback and not sure how to even answer. i finally just wrote back that in over 4 years we had not yet gotten a dwarf but they were welcome to check back. i have no intention of adding this person to my adopters list nor referring them to any other rescues...

i am just sitting here thinking that we have been VERY VERY lucky with our adopters so far!!

Yikes! I can't believe some of the responses you guys have gotten. Wow! I can totally see why you are frustrated. I thought I was uneducated when I got into horses, but geez - some of these replies just take the cake.

I just had a prospective buyer who came many times and hemmed and hawed over whether she should get a Mini and if so whether it should be a gelding or a mare. She has a young full size horse out being trained professionally right now and has been taking lessons in riding and although she loves the Minis she wasn't sure if she would have the time for one or not. She wanted to be sure that if she did get one it was exactly the right one and she came for several visits which I encouraged. She did not end up purchasing one and was terribly apologetic. I tried to assure her that I would far rather have someone like her who puts a great deal of thought BEFORE bringing an animal into her life than someone like you have had coming to your doorstep! She was very appreciative of the time I allowed her to make the decision. I find for every 10 wingnuts that comes around there is one person that makes you happy whether they buy or not!
default_smile.png

Marty, More power to ya! One of my friends likes to say about her work associates: so many stupid people, so little time! It cracks me up.

I had a guy stop at our farm because he could see the horses from the road (I hate that about our place) and he asked "you got 'ny mares fer a coupl' hunnerd bucks?" I said no that I only had one non-breeding/pet quality mare for sale right now and she is priced at $1000." He gulped and said "I don't want a pet I want a mare that'll give me some foals! I can go to the auction (he meant Lolli Bros) and git one fer a hunnerd easy." I was so stunned and at a loss for words (which is VERY unusual for me) that all I could think to say was "I'm sure you'll provide a very good home with great care for your new $100 mare. Have a good day." And I walked into the barn. He left in a hurry, spraying gravel around as he pulled out of the drive!

What a LOSER!! Now I have to worry about this idiot coming back when I'm not home and stealing one! Not really, but those type of people make me nervous. I hope he doesn't have kids.

I ask (and actually check) for references when I sell a horse. Other than that plus my gut feeling about a person I'm not sure what else I can do. I do put in the sale contract that I get first right of refusal if they re-sell one of my horses but who's to say they actually contact me?

It's tough. We just have to do as much as we can to educate people.

Unfortuntately Marty it's not just newbies who don't have the desire to learn or to care for their horses properly. By properly I don't mean housing them at the Taj Mahal and buying them every piece of fancy tack available. You'd be surprised how many do just that and yet refuse to call a vet, feed and water consistenly or even spend time with the animal after the initial thrill of horse ownership wanes. A ridiculous example recently is my new foal. She had cosmetic surgery done on her nose from an old kick. It caused her no distress or inabilty to function but the owner wanted a "pretty" foal. Yet she wouldn't call a vet for the foal's colic for the past few days which came to a head the night before last so I called the vet. She has a bad worm load and was eating a totally inappropriat diet for a baby. She was never dewormed after coming off her mom, let alone taught to be haltered or led. Her previous owner has been in horses for 35 years doing high level dressage and is a trainer! I don't care how long someone claims experience and they can sometimes be much worse than any newbie.
default_wacko.png
:

I see it daily, beautiful intelligent, kind and healthy horses tossed aside like so much garbage because the mentality that permeates the horse world in general is that they are nothing but a selfish means to some kind of end or another. Just another disposable commodity for mankind's use. I'd venture to say that at the past 6 boarding stables I've been at the horses are neglected and ignored by the vast majority of owners. They want nothing to do with the daily grind of stall cleaning, feeding or care, just to come up on Sunday, it that, ride the crap out of them and put them away in a dark lonely stall for the rest of the time. If we truly had a majority of horse lovers in this country we wouldn't have the problem with slaughter, over breeding, neglect and abuse that is rampant.

I am dismayed every time I see a thread where someone is asking advice on how to stop behavior problems like biting, kicking, rearing etc. I can't even comment on them because it's ridiculous to try to access the problem blindly from a forum when most of the time the person asking doesn't even have the most primary background in horse handling to begin with. If they did, they'd not be asking how to fix it and need to get on site help with someone to teach them the basics to avoid the inevitable problems that will continue to crop up if they don't. Some will but many won't and look for some king of quick fix without realizing there is so much more to it than just stopping an unwanted behavior with force or intimidation.

While there are a few "good" homes most of those are full up because good homes actually take care of them, not just warehouse them. I couldn't in good conscience ever condemn another animal I brought into this world to the possiblity that some buyer may not have the same commitment to them that you and I have and that is why I don't breed or sell and never will again. :no:

I am dismayed every time I see a thread where someone is asking advice on how to stop behavior problems like biting, kicking, rearing etc. I can't even comment on them because it's ridiculous to try to access the problem blindly from a forum when most of the time the person asking doesn't even have the most primary background in horse handling to begin with. If they did, they'd not be asking how to fix it and need to get on site help with someone to teach them the basics to avoid the inevitable problems that will continue to crop up if they don't. Some will but many won't and look for some king of quick fix without realizing there is so much more to it than just stopping an unwanted behavior with force or intimidation.
I'm someone that recently got in to minis( but have had big horses for years) I did a post about stopping rearing .. I bought from a big breeder and they never handle the horse I purchase or their other horses, so I felt like I was rescuing him. This breeder is know by most people in out area as a puppy mill of minis.

The reason we newbie’s post question is to have advice from people that have worked with minis before. I personally have read may books but you can only learn so much from a book

I feel like when I post something I’m going to be criticized for not handling properly or not know anything about horses.

So many people have told me to check out the LB Fourm’s , people are really helpful and are willing to give you advice. I’m not always seeing thi , usually you get criticized right off the bat or people start to argue about being to aggressive etc.

I would like thank all of you thought that put up with people that are new to mini’s and are willing to give us advice to make sure we are training and caring for our minis properly.
default_smile.png

Sorry in advance if this does not read easily i'm fighting a terriable cold
default_sad.png

If I had a dollar for every "Oh, I just want a pet, nothing fancy- meaning the price- just a pet for the children. It would be well loved and cared for"

Not a gelding, of course, it has to be a filly.

Show quality BUT at pet price as they only want a pet.

And then, of course, they might just breed a foal- just for the kids you understand.

I have NO objection to people being stupid- I know some really nice stupid people.

I just object to them thinking I am stupid!!!!

I dont sell to first time horse owners, i've rarly had to sell our horses and i just will not sell to a first time horse owner because it worries me soo much. I honestly would not be able to sleep at night i'd be so worried. Of course there would be an exeption here and their. I had Lexus up for sale for some time (big horse paint filly) who is 14 months old and i got an email asking if she was broke enough to ride yet by a beginner .....those emails scare me!

When i first got into minis (horses in general) ...i made so many mistakes and just wanted to love them, the first yr with my horses i took allot of heat bc i was trying to figure out what i was doing and had no idea where i wanted to go, i think it was pretty apparent on this forum as well. Kay get me in the right direction and i've spent so much time reading, asking questions and learning. I dont feel i know anywhere near as much as kay ..you or anyone for that matter but i feel i know enough to put together my own feeding program, conditioning and exersize program and train my own horses to the level i want them.

All it takes is time ...allot of it in some cases. I learned to listen to others. Listening is one of the biggest and best things you could possibly do!
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back