Very controversial!!!!! If you cant take the heat, dont read!!!!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil hoofbeats

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyones feelings were about chickens becoming house pets? Should they be allowed indoors? Should blanketts be made available? or should they only be given perches to roost? Should they be allowed to fraternize with a duck of unknown species? Should a chicken be allowed to sit on a blankett and watch TV as a companion with a human?Not trying to make waves just wondering what are peoples thoughts on this subject?

1661788_10203642875782585_147443001372947994_n.jpg
10252121_10203642214126044_5330005304127586990_n.jpg
1979556_10203578632216536_2120584712_n.jpg
10155831_10203642184165295_2235204154830028750_n.jpg

You may get strange looks, but if having a house chicken makes you happy and the bird is happy, then why not? People have pet pigs, so why not pet chickens. May not be my choice, but its not my life to live; do what makes you happy if you are able.

OMG I love your pictures!

Absolutely! They make chicken and duck diapers for a reason!!!!!

That first pic with the legs sticking out of the blanket is the best!!! Too Cute!!

Are they RIR?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ick no too many sickness and no clean

good lord Julie I busted out laughing! you must have raised them in there? what are you going to do... how will you ever be able to put them out? That is so cute them actually relaxing on the blanket.

This could be very controversial you know. It may scar them for life when the stove is on, please don't fry any chicken in front of the kids OMG they'd need therapy the rest of their lives.

wait...they DO make diapers for them?

Gosh no what's wrong with you? Everyone knows that chickens belong outdoors roaming free you chicken abuser lol

Very cute
default_smile.png
I've not seen chickens in blankets before

Why not? Lot's of people have the strangest pets. I would rather see a chicken than an snake in the house. My neighbor raises their baby chicks in a bedroom before putting them outside. Didn't scar them, just made them very friendly. I find it strange to see mini's in peoples houses. How do you feel about people that hold their little ones like puppies? What happens when the mini grows up and wonders why "mom" or "dad" doesn't pick them up anymore? Talk about behavior issues. So don't feel bad about having chickens for pets. They do eat bugs and leave behind eggs.

That is so CUTE! How is it controversial?

We have had chickens in the house but not roaming freely. And our chickens outside are in a large penned in area with our pet Mallard ducks. They all get along fine. The coop (for the chickens) is raised up off the ground on cinder blocks and the ducks go UNDER the coop for their shelter.

well there was a post about the back poarch needed to be "spiced" up a little with some controversy so i was trying to add some new reading material. Perhaps chickens in teh house is not as contraversial as i thought! LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not? Ive raised chix and ducklings in the house when it was too cold in the barn before. Its hard not to get attached to them. I have a friend with a goose who hangs out with her in the house. It wears a diaper and its too cute. Who knows, maybe house chickens will bethe next big thing.

Well.........Each year I used to bring that years foals into the house, put a Santa hat on them and would take their photo in front of the Christmas tree. But I'd put them back outside again. I stopped doing that about 12-13 years ago though LOL

lol I did the Santa hat and decorations photos with the minis too along with the big horses... but outside.

I dont have chickens in my house but have threatened the hubby that I wanted to and make them diapers. But he didnt see the humor in it.

I personally wouldnt due to all the disease they can give you... but thats me.

You do what ya want!

I do love some of the funnny responses. I laughed my but off!

You better stop being so controversial, Julie!
default_nono.gif
I love your birds. Are they chickens or ducks? They look like ducks to me but heck what do I know!

I was going to call you yesterday but I did a WeeFoal test and that answered my question. Anyways, I deactivated my Facebook but I kept your phone number.
default_yes.gif

Many years ago we had a chicken who was sick and needed a fair bit of human help. Fully recovered she attached herself to the humans and demanded to be alowed into the house when she required. Although she was allowed to wander between the house and her outdoor friends/enclosure, she was often to be found sleeping happily in front of our old boiler on the dog blanket.

Then there was the duckling - a sole survivor of a badger's raid on an egg nest, found him just hatching with no sign of any parents, so took him in. Grew up to be a real house duck, totally at home and very friendly with any visitors. Made him an outside pond (refused to organise some kind of pond indoors!!) and he always had a bowl of freshwater beside his food bowl. Never a problem with our dogs or cats - think he considered himself a dog anyway as he loved to snuggle up on human laps while watching the evening tv!

But before either of these two there was the goose - Martha by name! Took her in as a fairly old bird as she had been a pet and constant companion of a friend who had sadly died. Martha did live an outdoor/indoor life and would tap on our patio doors when she wanted to come in, usually to curl up on the rug with the dog in front of our living room fire. She would always be beside you when outside - took a while for the horses to get use to her invading their stalls when we were mucking out/round the yard. She would come to call and always answered you when you called or spoke to her. She just loved to be carried around tucked under your arm (she was pretty heavy so we tried to discourage this which made her very cross and very demanding until someone gave in and picked her up!) But her favourite occupation was to accompany you on any car rides, sitting on the front seat watching the word pass by - got us some funny looks I can tell you!! LOL!! A great character, but after 3 years of being Martha slaves, we sadly lost her as she passed away in her sleep one night.

That is a wonderful story AnnaC! maybe my chickens and duck will be like those. "Ducky" as he is called will already sit for hours in your lap if you let him.

Back