Very bizarre puppy situation!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperhill

Reaction score
We have a Papillon that is due to have pups on June 6th. This is her 4th litter and she usually has 2 to 4 pups on the morning of her due date, like clockwork. Last Sunday, 15 days early, we could tell she wasn't feeling well and she proceeded to give birth to 2 live, preemie pups. They only lived for half an hour or so in spite of our best efforts as their lungs just weren't developed enough. She panted on and off for the rest of the afternoon, but by evening was running around like nothing had happened. Vet said to take her temp 3 times a day and watch very closely for any discharge. Who knows why she did it. She has had no temp and is bright eyed and bushy tailed. The picture of health, except that she continues to get bigger in the stomach, her teats are filling up, and I swear I can feel the hard lump of another pup in there! I know there are hormonal changes after a dog gives birth, but surely after this long with no one nursing, her milk would dry up instead of developing more!? If I hadn't been there for the birth of those two preemies I would think for all the world that she is just moving along normally towards her due date. Vet said she has never heard of a dog aborting half a litter before, but it is possible.

Has anyone out there ever heard of such a thing happening? I would love to hear from you!

thanks!

Well not really the same thing but Ravens cat Klumpy was born days after the rest of the litter I think it might have been as much as a week maybe more trying to remember exactly now and he was perfectly fine. Wierdest thing I had ever heard of.

Can you bring her in for x-rays so you know for sure? and I am sorry for the loss of your two pups it is so hard to wait that long and try and try to save them :-(

I have heard of a dog "absorbing" or aborting a puppy before it's time, usually because there is something wrong with it. I am not certain about them then carrying another one to full term. Did you try Googling it?

We have a Papillon that is due to have pups on June 6th. This is her 4th litter and she usually has 2 to 4 pups on the morning of her due date, like clockwork. Last Sunday, 15 days early, we could tell she wasn't feeling well and she proceeded to give birth to 2 live, preemie pups. They only lived for half an hour or so in spite of our best efforts as their lungs just weren't developed enough. She panted on and off for the rest of the afternoon, but by evening was running around like nothing had happened. Vet said to take her temp 3 times a day and watch very closely for any discharge. Who knows why she did it. She has had no temp and is bright eyed and bushy tailed. The picture of health, except that she continues to get bigger in the stomach, her teats are filling up, and I swear I can feel the hard lump of another pup in there! I know there are hormonal changes after a dog gives birth, but surely after this long with no one nursing, her milk would dry up instead of developing more!? If I hadn't been there for the birth of those two preemies I would think for all the world that she is just moving along normally towards her due date. Vet said she has never heard of a dog aborting half a litter before, but it is possible.

Has anyone out there ever heard of such a thing happening? I would love to hear from you!

thanks!

Dogs have a left and right "horn" or uterus...She probably had the preemies from one of them..Now the pup(s) from the "other side", are progressing...Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Haven't heard of this but I too was thinking about the left to right horn thing.

Personally, I'd be very concerned in regards to the cervix being opened for the delivery of some pups and the possible rising chance of pyometra.

I'll throw this out to some breeder friends and see what they have to say.

As for the production of milk hormones themselves can do this even without puppies.

So, 8 days after Abby had the first two puppies, she gave birth to 3 more, perfectly normal and full term puppies! They are all happy and healthy and doing very well. sounds like the right and left horn information was right on the mark. I guess we will never know what caused her to go into labor early on the first two. We watched her closely for uterine infection, but everything seems good! We got 2 boys and a girl! I love a happy ending! Thanks for all the info and thoughts.

Linda

thanks!

WOW---Surprises abound!
default_yes.gif

Congratulations and I hope she and her family continue to do well.

Congrats !!!!

I never even thought of the 2 horn thing and that makes total sense now as to how my daughters kitten was born so much later

Cant wait to see pics of your pups

What an awesome UPDATE! Thank you!
default_aktion033.gif
Hope you let your vet know about this....

Oh, and don't forget to post PICS!
default_yes.gif

Makes perfect sense, once explained. Now....pictures please?
default_yes.gif
Both my daughters have gotten Papillons in the last couple of years and they are the cutest, tiniest things as pups!

Jan

So, 8 days after Abby had the first two puppies, she gave birth to 3 more, perfectly normal and full term puppies! They are all happy and healthy and doing very well. sounds like the right and left horn information was right on the mark. I guess we will never know what caused her to go into labor early on the first two. We watched her closely for uterine infection, but everything seems good! We got 2 boys and a girl! I love a happy ending! Thanks for all the info and thoughts.

Linda

So glad to hear everything is alright! The last 3 pups were probably conceived at a later breeding..

So glad you kept an eye on her.

Yes, had a dog aborted undeveloped young and go a week later and have healthy pups..

Our vet was surprised too, normally only go 24 hours later but she surprised us all...

Yes, looking forward too see pictures.
default_wub.png

Back