Venice Turpentine - How often to put it on

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pam Crise

Reaction score
I think I learned about venice turpentine from rabbitsfizz in a topic here - if I have the wrong person I'm sorry - gettin' older...

We used it last fall and I think we got to a point where we thought we had put it on too often. Is that possible? How often do you put it on? I would suppose it depends on the terrain they are on most - our minis are in dry lots and work on the shoulder of the road/trails alot (ave 3-4 times a week) - nothing larger than 3/4" gravel.

Thanks for the help!

Pam

You're using it to harden the soles of the feet correct? I've never used turpentine for that, but I have used 7% iodine with great results. Considering they are in dry lots I would use it like twice a week. If you get alot of wet weather and the corrals get sloppy then maybe four times a week. With iodine it is possible to use it too much, but I rarely see that done.

I think it was probably me that spoke about Venice Turpentine because I love the stuff and have used it for many decades.

First off, yes, you can over do it.

I did the same thing at first and when the farrier came out for trims, he broke his hoof knife and asked what the heck I had on there. Over kill.

I used it for my ponies that were being in parades and did not have shoes on. This did harden the soles and kept them from brusing and getting sore.

I then used it for a number of reasons and one reason was that during our rainy season in Florida, we had a lot of mud and flooding. It was causing some horses to abcess. So I started to apply Venice Turpentine for that too, but mostly on horses that I did not want to have shod.

If I had a driving horse, I would never be without the stuff.

I recently used it on a horse of mine that became sore in my dry lot too because I have gravel down in part of it.

You apply it with a 2" paint brush and be careful you don't get it on your hands.

I think twice a week for maintenence is plenty. If they start coming up sore, I probably would increase it.

I think it was probably me that spoke about Venice Turpentine because I love the stuff and have used it for many decades.

First off, yes, you can over do it.

I did the same thing at first and when the farrier came out for trims, he broke his hoof knife and asked what the heck I had on there. Over kill.

I used it for my ponies that were being in parades and did not have shoes on. This did harden the soles and kept them from brusing and getting sore.

I then used it for a number of reasons and one reason was that during our rainy season in Florida, we had a lot of mud and flooding. It was causing some horses to abcess. So I started to apply Venice Turpentine for that too, but mostly on horses that I did not want to have shod.

If I had a driving horse, I would never be without the stuff.

I recently used it on a horse of mine that became sore in my dry lot too because I have gravel down in part of it.

You apply it with a 2" paint brush and be careful you don't get it on your hands.

I think twice a week for maintenence is plenty. If they start coming up sore, I probably would increase it.

Hi :saludando:

Where do you get this stuff and what does it cost?

Thanks,

Joy

It sounds like the turpentine and the 7% iodine work about the same wonders on horse feet. I know you can pick up the 7% iodine at most any feed store, but you do have to be 21 (I think kids have started making some kind of drugs out of it
default_wacko.png
: ) any way it is applied the same way, with a paint brush and only to the sole of the foot. I've never used the turpentine so can't tell you where to get that.

We use it, per Marty's advice, after talking with my vet and farrier.

I only use it on a horse that foundered. It makes a huge difference with him. It is applied the evening after his feet are done and now he doesn't need any kind of pain medicine. I use it more in the winter, the hard frozen ground is the hardest for him. But never used more than once a week. Per my vet. But, not sure what it would be if used for a different reason.

Got mine at TSC

Tractor Supply Company

Okay maybe stupid question, but venice turpentine, is it just like normal terpentine to thin paint or wash paintbrushes?

Maybe I can find a similar product here in Holland.

but venice turpentine, is it just like normal terpentine to thin paint or wash paintbrushes?

NO, this is not regular turpentine. It's mixed with a number of things including pine tar as a base but works so much better than pine tar as you are targeting the sole of the foot and soreness.

I get mine from State Line Tack. It is not always advertised so sometimes you have to ask for it.

Horse Health also carries it.

I wanted to add that you apply it only to the bottom of the feet. If you know you are going to be say, driving a lot on a hard surface or in a parade, then you might want to really goop it on heavily that week and cause a deliberate build up. I also did use it on my foundered horse. Seems to really help the soreness.

Thank you guys - that is exactly what I needed!

Marty - believe you are right, your'e the one that had posted it. Thank you...we have drivers also who put quite a few miles on a week besides being in the dry lots. We also do some parades on pavement. Now I remember hearing about the iodine also. We got our venice turpentine on line at www.dblrsupply.com - then had to do a search in their site to find it, wasn't in their table of contents. Just used them because we found them by searching the internet. I am glad to know the places I normally order from carry it too - just might have to ask.

Latest posts

Back