Varnish roan?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaiteraMiniatures

Reaction score
In the past I've posted pictures of my mare and a lot of you said she was probably a varnish roan. I've read up on it some recently and I'd be kind of surprised if she wasn't a varnish roan...the only appy characteristic she doesn't have is the striped hooves, but she has four white socks. I'm just wondering if anyone else has a varnish roan and if they changed as rapidly as my mare. I'm stunned at how much her coat as has changed over the winter. Is this typical? I'm just curious. She's also pinto, which is obvious in the first two pictures. I'm just really interested in her color, because it changed so quickly and is pretty unique in my mind
default_laugh.png
Thanks for any feedback!

6 months

guin.jpg

yearling (winter 2009)

035-3.jpg

2y/o (summer 2010)

021-1.jpg

3y/o... now (spring 2011) *sorry for weird angled picture*

148.jpg

spots on her nose (last summer)

027-1.jpg

spots on her nose now

150-1.jpg

She doesn't even look like the same horse to me sometimes xD Good thing she's kept the same personality the whole time, or I actually might be worried someone swapped her for another horse! lol

I owned this horse from a weanling til he was 10. I can not find the pictures right now but he was born a bay with a few white spots, 2 back socks and a star. When I got him, he was already starting to roan. By 3-4 he was he was completely roaned and this picture is probably about 8.

IMAGE0003.jpg

I will try to find those baby pics. But yes, they change quickly.

I've had several.

This was our past herdsire, a black varnish roan/near leopard/splash appaloosa:

untitled.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

A mare I used to own, a black snowcap/varnish roan:

Lacey

I've had a few other varnish foals but I'd have to hunt up photos.

I've had several.

This was our past herdsire, a black varnish roan/near leopard/splash appaloosa:

untitled.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

A mare I used to own, a black snowcap/varnish roan:

Lacey

I've had a few other varnish foals but I'd have to hunt up photos.
Thanks for the pictures! The stallion is beautiful, he's very different looking.

I have many, you can see them on my website www.CheyAutRanch.com

On the mini mares page is Sage, Nikki, Dream, and Melody.

On the stallions page, Chianti is a spotted blanket but also has the varnish roan going on, same with Gambler. (can't see it as well in Chainti's pics there, it's more appearent in the summer).

Each has a link to their photo album.

I have many, you can see them on my website www.CheyAutRanch.com

On the mini mares page is Sage, Nikki, Dream, and Melody.

On the stallions page, Chianti is a spotted blanket but also has the varnish roan going on, same with Gambler. (can't see it as well in Chainti's pics there, it's more appearent in the summer).

Each has a link to their photo album.

They're all beautiful.I love Sage's coloring a lot
default_smile.png
Oh, and Design is gorgeous!

We've got one! I need to take some better pictures, with an actual nice clip job. His spots on his rump are dime size or smaller so they're often hard to see. In his varnishing you can see a lot of spots though!

Starchief Color Code, aka "Cody"

180713_1571957059068_1239764257_31293975_4764412_n.jpg

180768_1571957259073_1239764257_31293977_3493219_n.jpg

I have a filly that I am wondering if she will roan out. She is showing I think signs of mottling on inside of lip. Do you have any very young photos of your roan? Like weeks old? Love to see them.

I used to own a varnish roan. The only areas on her that werent white were where the bones are. LIke the legs, face area. Shes actually the mare in my profile pic to the left. She was born solid black.

Last edited by a moderator:
My little girl is black not roaning out yet or any snowcapping can that come out with time? new to the appy stuff

My little girl is black not roaning out yet or any snowcapping can that come out with time? new to the appy stuff
Yes she could appy color with time, may be months or years, and if so more than likely will be appy roaning, most the other patterns its either very obvious at birth or there's hints/signs they're hiding a pattern.

whats the hints of hiding a pattern butt white? I was so hoping she would have patterns like spots
default_sad.png

I have a filly that I am wondering if she will roan out. She is showing I think signs of mottling on inside of lip. Do you have any very young photos of your roan? Like weeks old? Love to see them.

I wish I did! The first photo is the day she came to live with us at 6 months old. Before then we only took a few photos, but they were on a computer that crashed
default_sad.png
She was SOLID black though...maybe a little bit of light hair across her butt, but even her skin was black! Her nose turned pink over the last few years...which is by far the strangest appy characteristic to me lol. Skin going from black to pink is quite impressive
default_laugh.png
haha.

I have photos of a couple but they are at home, so will have to share later... and yes, roans are born solid- some roan out pretty fast within a couple of years, and some take quite a few years to finish

Here is my filly Kitty as a new foal... solid black except for her star- no hint of white underneath....

Nutmegfilly5110tendays.jpg

Then just at about 3 months old after being clipped... you can see it starting already.

Nutmeg10fillyRS6610.jpg

I am just clipping her for this year- I can see more white under there, and will post pics once I am done, but I believe she will varnish out.

Here is another filly I had by a leopard stallion and out of a varnish roan mare that CheyAut has now...

As a weanling:

Misty07.jpg

And as a yearling and still coloring:

MistyPixsunset82108.jpg

that looks like my girl only my girl has black hoofs. She has the silver coloring coming through now more not as black black. Still black along her spine but sides and legs are lightening up I see.

Latest posts

Back