Vaccine Protocols - foals & adults

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelnSierra

Reaction score
I am new to minis and would like to know what vaccine protocols people use for their minis - foals and adults, what you vaccinate against, brand of vaccine, ages, etc. I have bred and shown dogs for about 20 years and Dr. Jean Dodds was "the" person instrumental in changing the vaccine protocols throughout the USA and with all of the veterinary teaching universities for dogs. Dogs were being over vaccinated for years, either required by state regulations or recommended by the manufacturer, thus causing immune problems throughout many breeds.

Thank you very much,

Sheila

This year I started giving the Safe-Vac vaccines and gave the Prestige V + WNV to my show horses this spring and this fall Prestige II. Foals they recommend vaccinating them with Prestige V 5 to 6 months, again 6 to 7 months, and again 10 to 12 months.

Talk to a trusted vet in your area, as vaccine protocol varies a little bit by region and also by your horses "habits" (for lack of a better word), what will you be doing with them, how much exposure to other horses will they have, will they travel much and many other things to consider.

Every region is different. however we (in the northwest) like using Prestige V as our primary vaccine. The foals get vaccinated between 5 to 6 months. If you live in another area, I'd suggest your vet recommending additional vaccines, especially for your foals.

Agree with whats been said above. This was the first year we did a double strangles vaccination and I won't be doing that again. Two of the four yearlings got really sick and we almost lost one of them. Perhaps they were too young but I think I will be sticking with just one in the future.

I will not use West Niles vaccine. Abortions along with other problems with the West Niles vaccines. I have 40 horses, so vaccinating can very expensive. All of my horses get East/West Encephalomyelitis and Tetanus. I do not have horses going in and out of the farm, so I do not give Rhino unless I have sold a horse or they are being shown. This is the program my vet gave to me and (knock on wood, it has worked for 15 years.

All of my horses get East/West Encephalomyelitis and Tetanus. I do not have horses going in and out of the farm, so I do not give Rhino unless I have sold a horse or they are being shown. This is the program my vet gave to me and (knock on wood, it has worked for 15 years.
This is basically my vaccine protocol, also, per my vet.

I now give E, W, and Tetanus, plus West Nile. Skipped West Nile last year because of a vaccine recall, but it was SO DRY that mosquitoes were almost non-existant where I live. This year, with some misgivings, I gave a Ft. Dodge that included all the aforementioned in one; had a couple who were sore for several days afterward, but worked it out moving around(I try to always give vaccinations in their behind, not in the neck...and the most sore was the tiniest.) Word is that the 'super' multiple shot, which includes all mentioned here PLUS flu AND rhino, was causing problems; I personally think that is just TOO MANY in a single shot.(Glad I went back to the West Nile this year; testing has determined that for sure there is West Nile in mosquitoes in this area this year.)

IF I decide to take anyone anywhere, I will probably give a flu/rhino booster at least two weeks ahead of the occasion. All of my horses are quite mature, and I am not breeding, so no PG mares or foals...and no horses coming and going.

Margo

My ponies got what the vet recommended this year which was EEE, WEE, and Tetanus, West Nile, and Rabies. I am in CA and my ponies don't really have contact with other horses.

Latest posts

Back