Please Check Out This Article For A Newsletter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
Hi, Folks --

This is an article I drafted this morning. I was asked to write it for Equine Wellness, a national publication which focuses on holistic/natural horse care. The editor requested an article, "Minis; more than just a little horse." The readers want to know more about the breed, care and especially about their personalities and things they can do. This is what I drafted this morning, and need to confirm some things (like the Nationals enteries). I'd appreciate input and you won't hurt my feelings with any corrections or suggestions.

Thanks!

Jill

--------

[SIZE=12pt]Minis: More Than Just a Little Horse[/SIZE]

By: S. Jill O’Roark of Whinny For Me Farm -- www.whinny4me.com

Almost every time someone hears that I have miniature horses, they will ask, “what do you do with them?” Well, what can you do with a mini? You can do anything with them that you can do with a full size horse, except for ride them.

I met my first miniature horse in 1996. He was a sorrel gelding who lived at the boarding stable where my two full size horses lived. I clearly remember thinking “he’s so cute, but what would I really do with a miniature horse?” Well, a couple years later, I met a little stallion and his owner let me drive him. That was it – I now knew at least one fun thing you do with miniatures and decided I would get one. Still, I also remember thinking that while I knew I’d love owning a mini, there was no way I’d enjoy a mini as much as my riding horse. Almost ten years later, I still have a full size horse but it is my seventeen miniature horses that have really captured my heart and most of my free time.

Many people with miniature horses enjoy driving them. An in shape average sized miniature horse can easily pull two adults on a flat surface for a period of time. One thing that I appreciate about driving my miniatures is that it’s a horsey activity in which I can include friends or family who do not know how to ride. They can ride in the cart with me, and we can also have a nice conversation, which is something I’ve never really been able to conduct on horseback. Prior to driving miniatures, I drove my full size horse, but the tacking up is much faster with a mini, and the view is a lot better, too (as you can easily see over the miniature and with my big horse, I have a big view of his hind end).

One activity many miniature enthusiasts enjoy is showing their horses. Miniatures are shown in halter (conformation), color, jumper, hunter, liberty, obstacle, showmanship, costume and driving. All but the driving and liberty classes are done with the horse in hand. Additionally, small children may also ride miniatures. At the 2006 American Miniature Horse Registry’s National Show, where some of the nicest miniatures from all over the country and even other Nations compete, the entries topped 2,200! The entries increase every year, as the breed has become more and more popular.

In addition to the miniature breed shows that many miniature horse owners participate in, miniatures are being seen more and more often in local, open shows competing in halter and showmanship against the “biggies”. Also, miniatures are successfully competing in combined driving events with larger horses, doing the full-length marathon of up to 12 or 13km and proving they can do it just as well. What's more, most of them do it barefoot!

Another area where their owners and the public enjoy miniature horses is as therapy animals. Many miniature horse owners delight nursing home residents and hospital patients by bringing their little horses into the facilities. The small size of these horses makes such visits relatively easy to accomplish. Miniature horses have a wonderful ability to relate to people who have special needs and can be even more gentle and loving in these situations.

A miniature horse stands 38” or less in height, and they are measured from where the last hair grows from their mane, vs. the top of the withers as with other breeds. An “Over” or “B Division” miniature is one that measures over 34” and no taller than 38” in height. An “Under” or “A Division” miniature is one that measures no taller than 34”.

There are two main registries for miniature horses, and they are the American Miniature Horse Registry (“AMHR”) and the American Miniature Horse Association (“AMHA”). The AMHR recognizes both height divisions, while the AMHA recognizes only the Under or A Division. Many miniature horses that measure 34” or less in height are registered with both the AMHR and the AMHA.

When it comes to conformation, miniatures for show and breeding should be held to the same standard as are full size horses. Straight legs, good bites and sound conformation are important. When it comes to showing, there is a type that is preferred in halter class. The current preference is for very proportional horses with high set and long necks, small heads, long clean legs and short backs. However, miniatures exist in all body types and each type has its admirers. The major types are often referred to as Arabian, Thoroughbred, Quarter Horse, and Draft – however, they are all still “just” miniature horses.

Miniature horses on average are very smart animals. They are very inquisitive and they learn quickly. They can be quite manipulative as well, both in the literal and figurative sense – from being master gate openers to knowing just what to do to get what they want from their person. While they may be the same size as some breeds of dogs, they are horses and should be treated and handled as such.

They are an extremely hardy breed and are in general healthy and easy keepers. They require approximately 20-25% as much feed as a full size horse. It’s important when selecting hay for a miniature that you select a soft leafy hay, such as orchard grass, as their digestive parts are smaller in diameter than in a full size horse. It is my opinion that the coarser, stalky hays can cause problems, the least of which is a pot-bellied, bloated look and the worst of which can be impaction colic.

Miniatures come in all colors and all color patterns – from loud appaloosas of all varieties, wonderful spotted pintos in tobiano, overo, and tovero, and rich solid colors. One thing that is somewhat unusual when it comes to color in the miniature breed compared to other popular breeds is the prevalence of the silver dapple gene. The silver dapple gene has an interesting effect on colors and can be a bit mind boggling to people new to the rainbow of mini colors. This gene may or may not cause dappling of the coat. It usually will “mute” the color of a horse’s lower legs, mane and tail. It can cause flaxen manes and tails. The presence of this gene can turn what would have been a basic bay animal into one with a rich, bay-red coat, soft grey lower legs, and a platinum blonde mane and tail!

Miniatures do require the same level of care and attention as any full size horse, with the exception of consuming less feed and water. Miniatures are very rarely shod but should receive hoof trims every 6-8 weeks. They are dewormed on the same schedule as a full size horse and with the same types of dewormers except that dewormers containing moxidectin are not considered a safe product in miniatures due to the difficult / tight dosing thresholds. Minis receive the same dose of vaccine as do full size horses – just as in dogs, a Chihuahua would get the same dosage of vaccine as would a Great Dane.

Because of their small size, miniatures can be less intimidating to some horse enthusiasts. They make a great option as well for older horsemen and horsewomen who no longer feel confident handling full size horses but do not want to give up horse ownership. Additionally, their small size minimizes the ground required to happily house a miniature horse when compared to a full size horse. This makes horse ownership a realistic possibility for many people who don’t have the space or resources to own a full size breed. Also, while miniatures are small enough to “fit” inside your house, they do not make good house pets and they like to live just like “regular” horses which means outdoors with other horses as companions.

Miniatures are becoming more and more popular in the United States and bring much joy and laughter to the lives of their fortunate owners. In my time owning miniatures and interacting with other owners, I’ve yet to meet someone who got their first miniature and later regretted “getting into minis”. Minis are a wonderful breed with affectionate and intelligent personalities and can be an excellent choice for many horse enthusiasts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jill, :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

I really enjoyed reading your article!!! I like how you introduced facts about our mini's in such an interesting & informative way, maintained a casual dialog with the reader, and interjected personal experience throughout. I think it is excellent!!!

I am guessing you have a word-count limit and have to contain the content to stay within size limits (which means you have to prioritize what you can include....... 'cause you cannot include "everything"
default_smile.png
) If you do have the luxury of adding even more content....... one thing that has always struck me is how mini's seem to have an innate ability to relate to those with special needs, and their therapeutic qualities. Also how their small size allows them to visit inside Nursing Homes & Hospitals. (Anyway.... just some thoughts of even more content. As if you did not already have enough !! :bgrin )

BTW..... I am as impressed as I can be, that you whipped this out only this morning!

Well Done!!!

-Becky

Jill,

You have not mentioned about there service capabilities in Nursing Homes, Hositals ect.

I just took my smallest one who can not be bred to a Birthday party for a 2 yr old girl, she

Loves it and I take her to as many events as I can find.

Just a thought to add to your article.

Thanks Jan

Opps Becky G, I must have read to fast to see your same suggestion,

Sorry a day late and a dollar short, That's me ha ha.

Thanks, ladies, for the input
default_yes.gif
:

I edited the article (and my post to show the changes) and included the suggestions about minis as therapy animals. That is a wonderful thing that miniatures do, and I had not thought of it for the article but should have. So, I really appreciate that heads up!

And, yes, I do have a word count request, but was able to stay under the limit even with the addition!!!

:bgrin

I really enjoyed reading your article.

The fact that AMHA and AMHR were both mentioned. Some that perfer one over the other put it out in their writing without thinking about it.

:cheeky-smiley-006:

Deb

Jill,

That was one of the best overall articles about miniature horses I have ever read........You managed to cover just about everything very articulately and with a word limit! EXCELLENT!

MA

Thanks, ladies!!! I feel like I got an A+ on a big report :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

PS......... I know Sheryl's secret(s) -- at least one or two that are fit to print
default_wink.png
:
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png
default_wink.png
:

I think your article is excellent and very informative. I certainly enjoyed it.

Latest posts

Back