Equine Dentistry Qualifications

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWC sr.

Reaction score
The other day in response to the posts I made on the thread about the stuff going on in Oklahoma and Texas. I received an email asking me about what if any credentials, training etc that Carl Mitts had would give him the education and ability to work on a mini's teeth. So I went to the man himself and ask the question. He forwarded this today to me and I thought the rest of you might find it interesting.
default_wink.png

From what I can see he is still the guy I want with his tools in my horses mouth. I dare say they are few other practitioners or Vets today of Miniature Equine Dentistry that can offer this type resume:
default_new_shocked.gif

Credentials For

Carl Mitz

 Carl has 24 years of experience in equine dentistry and is a 3rd generation horseman.

 He apprenticed with an Equine Dentist, M.W. Becker – who had 40 years experience and his clients included Calumet Farms, Spend Thrift Farm, Taylor Made Farms and Alexander Harthill, DVM in Lexington, KY.

 In 1986, he was given 2 miniature horses from NFC Farms and 2 miniature horses from Crescent Miniatures to use to develop instruments and techniques to accommodate the breed.

 He developed floats and speculums to better fit the miniature horses.

 He was certified by Dr. Jack Easley in Equine Dentistry through the International Assoc. of Equine Dental Technicians (IAEDT) in 1992.

 He was certified by Dr. Toots Banner in Advanced Equine Dentistry through the International Assoc. of Equine Dentistry (IAED) in 2002.

 He has over 120 hours of Continuing Education in Equine Dentistry, with 60 hours of that being RACE approved.

 He is a Former President of the IAEDT.

 He was Chairman of the Grievance Committee for the IAED.

 He is published in 2 veterinary manuals:

o Equine Dentistry: A Practical Guide by Pat Pence, DVM

o Manual of Equine Dentistry by Tom Allen, DVM

 He is employed by Capps Manufacturing – the largest manufacturer of Equine Dental instruments in the U.S. He provides R & D and technical support for Capps Mfg.

 He is a former associate of Equine Associates in Georgia (Dr.’s Bill & Jennifer Baker).

 He is a former associate of Metamora Complete Equine in Michigan (Dr. Denise Burbary).

 Carl has developed numerous Equine Dental instruments, including a pneumatic system.

 Carl has put together the largest Miniature Horse Dentistry display in the world, which he uses to educate horse owners, equine dental colleagues and veterinarians.

 He has been a consultant to numerous Universities and Vet Hospitals.

 He is involved in a Miniature Horse Dwarf Research program at the University of Kentucky.

 He presented educational material at the 2009 IAED Conference in Orlando, FL – RACE approved, with 17 veterinarians attending.

 He has been the Wet-Lab Coordinator for the IAED Conferences for the last 4 years.

 He is currently seated on the AMHA Genetic Committee.

 He is associated with and referred by numerous veterinary clinics, thru out the United States.

I also asked Carl how he felt about the use of sedatives for dentistry work in miniatures. His response was that were a few exceptions to the rule. But in 99% of the cases it was not something he used or suggested. Patience, slow movement and competency with the required specialized tools usually got the job done for most miniature horses.
default_biggrin.png

Additionally he said in those few cases were it was needed, he believed that a vet only should administer and supervise the sedation or dispensing of any sedative to large or small horses.
default_aktion033.gif

Pretty cool information from where I am sitting.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Not many vets who could compete with that list of credentials.
default_smile.png

Jan

Thanks for the post John. Carl has worked with my horses and I have always been pleased with the way he treated my horses. He not only treats the horses right, but he is also honest with the horse owner. I love that he checks all of the horses and may only see a need to do work on one or two......and that is what you get charged for. I love his honesty and his answering all the crazy questions that I come up with.

You know what more can you ask for ..........someone who has creditials and loves miniatures?

Thanks for the wonderful post, John.

I always wish Carl came to my area, but he once told me I was out of his area when I inquired.

Of course one time when I was looking for a "close" director, Tony G. told me I was 800 miles from EVERYTHING! haha

I hope to one day save enough to fly Carl out here to do my herd. :)

Susan O.

Susan,

Carl is close for us so we do not have to contend with the distance problem. But in talking to him over the years, I understand that in a lot of areas that around the country that need his services. The local mini club holds a day for everyone to bring all their horses to a central place and then the travel and living expense costs are not so bad when split between a number of owners. You might want to think about that approach.
default_wink.png

Then all you have to do is work out a schedule with him, which could be the hard part. As he is so durn busy it is hard for even for folks like us that he has been servicing for over 10 years to get on the schedule now days.
default_wacko.png

Good guy and a great asset to us over the years with our mini's.
default_saludando.gif

Now if we can get the states to leave him alone to do the job we need him to do, things will be fine. LOL

Thanks John,

He did say he might "possibly" be able to do something like that, but I was not at the time able to figure it all out.

If I could get the Utah people interested it just might work. I am closer to other Utah breeders than most WY ones since I am just a few miles from the Utah line .

Except I'd still need to schedule him to come to my farm and pay extra if need be, as I have over 20 horses and could not get them all to somewhere else.

Susan O.

Thank you John for posting that so folks here know we are not speaking about some guy who one day decided to pick up a tool and go work on someone's horses teeth!

Carl was just here earlier this month, and I always have the whole herd checked. He does not charge for looking if they dont need anything done! But I always have him at least look, cause you never know.

We have discussed his credentials as the Mini King (lol) and the tools etc... he has created FOR the vets and others to use with his extensive knowledge of equines and dentistry.

Susan, many of us here get together and split the cost of Carl coming out. It ends up like $5 a person by the time it is split among the MANY people who use him here. He will spend a day at a particular location, and the folks in the area who want to haul in, do so. Then the next day he may be way out in the west valley at another big farm where he tends to their horses, and others who want to fit into that schedule.

I am lucky because he comes to the big farm right next door and I just walk the horses over through the back gate to their barn. Before, I trailered them to the place he would be nearest to me. It worked out great and splitting the cost with others makes it seem pretty much non existant!

If you have ANY other farms within about 30 or 40 miles of you that would get together and plan this out, someone has to handle the scheduling and where he will be and when, it is NOT that expensive. I had three horses floated this year and it cost me only what a vet charged me to do a floating on a full sized mare I had! It is NOT as expensive as you think at all!!!

I highly encourage folks, whether it is done by your vet or a qualified equine dentist, to not neglect your horses dental care- I have seen them from ages one to in their late twenties need things done at various farms, and just because they are fat or in good shape does NOT mean their teeth do not have points, hooks or other issues! I have seen the inside of horses mouths that look like hamburger from having to chew with these points and things and it must be extremely painful. I know of a nice stallion that was sold because he was undependable in harness. His new owners picked him up for a song, and had his teeth checked.... they were awful and hurt. After getting his teeth done, end of story and he made, and still is a fabulous driving horse with no more problems!

Thanks again John for posting all this - Carl is too humble about what he has done for the industry and especially the Miniature horses in general! (And he makes great BBQ too, but that is an entirely different chapter... LOL)

I am just proud to know someone like Carl, as a person with the highest integrity, not to mention his expertise in this field. I hope that some of these states quit wanting to revert to the Dark Ages and move forward in an effort to make sure our equines have the best of care by the individuals who are the best qualified- at our choice and descretion!

I've known & used Carl for years.......trust him explicitly with ANY of my horses!

And yes......he is more qualified than anyone I know...including vets...to do Dental work on Miniatures teeth.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back