Vaccination question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammie

Reaction score
I have been giving FluVac Innovator 5 and Recombitek WNV for years now but was wondering if I switched to a combined vaccination like Recombitek rWNV-EWT or Prestige V + WNV would I need to administer a booster vaccination in 3 to 4 weeks?

Since you are dealing with the same vaccinations and just changing manufacturers, I wouldn't think you'd need to do a booster.

Why would you need to give a booster at such a short interval at all, unless the initial vaccination was the first the horse had EVER received? I have switched makers a number of times over the years, never considered or gave a booster of the 'new' brand after the interval you mention. Horses are all hale and hearty. As a matter of fact, I have in recent times read in several different places some professional opinions that we generally may be over-vaccinating our horses...just food for thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your input it is much appreciated.....These were my initial thoughts as well but I just wanted some other opinions.

No. An annual booster is all you need. A booster a month afterwards is recommended in horses who've never had one before or who may have been exposed to a pathogen.

Latest posts

Back