vaccinating

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoey3

Reaction score
I have a 4 month old Mini. Can i give her a 4 way shot? What size needle is best to use on minis? When can i deworm her and is their a brand i shouldnt use? thanks Deb

Everyone will probably say something different. I find the best thing to do when you are unsure is consult a vet, however I wait till my foals are 5 to 6 months old to give shots. I prefer using a small 20 gage needle for injections and I deworm with ivermectin..... Right or wrong it's what I do.
default_smile.png

I use a 20 gauge, 3/4". I deworm foals when they are weaned (between 4 and 6 months of age). I use a four-way on mine, but consult your vet as to what is endemic in your area and what to give. Has your girl been dewormed at all? If not i'd start her on a 5 day purge of Safeguard (fenbendazole). Don't use Quest ever; it has a small margin of error...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to give dex shots to a horse of mine and I use a 22 gauge needle on him, if the substance is thin enough like dex or a vaccine, there is not reason you cant use a 22G needle on the little baby, but you are safe to use a 20 or even an 18 its just more wiggling! 4 months should be alright.

Thank you so much for the help! I just dont want to do anything wrong!

If your mare received her booster shot 30 days prior to foaling, your foal should receive its first Eastern, Western, Tetanus & West Nile at 4-5 months old. Flu/Rhino vaccine should start at 6 months. You should de-worm with Safeguard or Panacur the first couple de-wormings. You should start at 1 months old and continue monthly for the first 6 months or so. At 5 month & 6 months I will use Ivermectrin then switch to a every 3 month program alternating between Ivermectrin and Strongid. You may want to contact your vet to see if any additional vaccinations are needed in your area. ALl vaccination will need boosters usually in 4 weeks and some again in another 4 weeks.

Back