Vaccinating question...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stampedeoflove

Reaction score
Do you vaccinate your minis once of twice per year? When I was in Californina, we did it annually. In North Carolina they say you must vaccinate twice per year. What do you think? Money racket or necessity? Are we over vaccinating?

Last edited by a moderator:
I vaccinate once a year; in the Spring. I think that if you're in an area that has been shown to have outbreaks of something or other that it may warrant a certain vaccination schedule. ie. some vaccinations are not very strong and so you may be required to give more than one/year. Also, it may depend on whether you show/your horses leave the property etc. etc. etc.

Stampede- Do you have a link to specific requirements in NC? Which ones do they say you must do twice a year?

Depends what vaccines you use. Most three-way/four-way vaccines are only good for six months of protection, however, for 80% of people 6mo is plenty to get them through the mosquito season. For those of you who live in warm climates like Florida, bi-annual vaccinations may be needed. Consult your vet.

Depends on the diseases present in your area and what you are doing with the horses.

For example;

Twice yearly vaccines are recommended for:

Potomac Fever

West Nile (depending on area/Vet)

Every 60 day vaccines are recommended for:

Rhino

Flu

If your horses do not leave the farm or come into contact with other horses, then rhino/flu are not of great risk and therefore may not be needed. But PHF and WN can get to your farm whether your horses leave or not.

Dr Taylor

Thank you very much for the info!

I have read some BAD things on the internet about the west nile vaccine causing some serious issues in pregnant mares. ANy experience with this?

Do to showing I have adopted the twice a year vaccination schedule (6-way and Strangles), with my broodmares getting the additional Rhino vaccinations. My horses are off the farm to much and exposed to many horses to not be super dilligent about vaccinations. On the flip side, I have been told by my Vet that I am vaccinating to much, not from a safety standpoint but from an expense standpoint, however I consider that just one of the costs of horse ownership.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read some BAD things on the internet about the west nile vaccine causing some serious issues in pregnant mares. ANy experience with this?
Those reports are over blown and exaggerated. With that being said, most Vets avoid vaccinating a pregnant mare during the middle trimester. First and last trimesters should be fine.

Dr Taylor

Your vaccination protocol should be worked out based on where you live, your exposure rate (near by horses, horses coming and going off your property, etc.), health of your horses and overall risk for becoming ill.

ex. a horse boarded at a private facility, fairly consistent number of horses present VS a show horse with a heavy show schedule VS a horse on a private ranch hundreds of acres from the next horse VS a horse kept with number of horses or with neighbors that give marginal care.

There isn't (IMHO) one best answer on vaccination/care without taking your situation into consideration. Discuss it with your vet or research your area as to what you need to be aware of and then do a risk assessment.

Latest posts

Back