Using Cargo Trailers for Minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like single axle trailers at all for any horse. We used one for years with my big horses then I bought a home made single axle trailer but that was an emergency and I actually bought it in case we had so we could evacuate our emu which I would not recommend putting in the car. I have since bought a standard 2 horse trailer. Since no one kicks I should be able to put all 3 of my kids in it.

IF it was a 2-axle cargo trailer I wouldn't hesitate to put lots of windows and ventilation in and use it for horses.

HOWEVER single axle trailers (as has already been discussed but I'd like to stress the points) are DANGEROUS in case of a tire blowout and it is VERY uncomfortable for your horse to ride in. It will create a lot of stress on the legs.

Also, the lighter the trailer, the more the trailer will bounce around. Weight isn't always a bad thing to create a comfortable ride.

I bought my two horse trailer with dressing room (Logan brand) brand new for $5,000. Now that certainly isn't CHEAP but in the long run it will hold it's value, it is SAFE and ROOMY and DESIGNED for my horses. Horses are EXPENSIVE to begin with, so what's the cost of a trailer going to hurt? It's near what I spend in vet bills practically.

Andrea

I just sold my cargo trailer because I wanted more room, but it worked great

To address this "It has a drop down door in the back, so a ramp for the minis to load up on, but it's so HEAVY"

Mine had a ramp also, but hubby put garage door springs on each side, and I could lift it up with one hand. We added windows, and it hauled 5-7 minis comfortably.

It was 16', dual axle, and pulled nice.

WOW!!! Thanks for all the replies. You have all given me lots of food for thought. The problems with the single axle (bouncing, flat wheels etc.) I have already thought of but I wanted to hear what everyone thought without any prompting from me. First and foremost, I want a safe and comfortable ride for Fox.

I live in Vancouver, B.C. and the horse trailers here are much, much more expensive than in the U.S. Our rising loonie ($) has not so far been reflected in horse trailer prices. A good used horse trailer will cost more than most of the prices quoted here for a new trailer. I may end up going south of the border to get a horse trailer at a reasonable price.

It was great to hear first hand experiences, good and bad and since I hope to do some longish hauling (about 4-5 hours) I will certainly avoid a single axle trailer. I followed one used for landscaping in my neighbourhood yesterday and saw it bounce, bounce, bounce ...... on paved roads!

I have been looking for a good used horse trailer but have found that a lot of the older models (straight haul) have a center support beam that is not removeable and that would make loading a cart just about impossible. That is why I started looking at the cargo trailers because they are an open box. Another concern with them (cargo trailer) is that the ramps have cables to help with lifting and I would be concerned with Fox coming off the trailer and possible hitting the cable and hurting himself and/or me. Any comments on cables on the ramp?

Jill, I have seen the picture of your trailer before and really liked it, especially at such a reasonable price!!

I will google some of the trailer manufacturers mentioned and see what is available in a smaller horse trailer.

Again, thanks to everyone for your valuable input. This forum is fantastic for a new mini person such as myself. I had been in large horses for a very long time but always paid a professional to haul my horses to local shows and have no experience hauling my horse by myself.

Joanne

I would LOVE to see more pics of these actual "mini" trailers. Little ones...not big fancy ones... I am watching this post with great interest!

Megamini they make brackets to hold the cart in place on the back door of the trailer. That could be a good option for you.

I have more pictures of my bumper pull trailer and my gooseneck (which is bigger, but not "big" and is made only for minis). I really like both our trailers and they're actually the ONLY horse trailers I've ever owned.

http://www.whinny4me.com/Trailer/

Fred (or anyone who knows) can you PM me with info on where to get the cart hanging brackets? Do they make pony cart size ones? How exactly does that work?

THanks,

Andrea

I would LOVE to see more pics of these actual "mini" trailers. Little ones...not big fancy ones... I am watching this post with great interest!
We had a 2 horse trailer fixed up for our minis and cart

This is our horse rig, we can fit our cart in front and the centre pole comes out.

HorseRig-1.jpg

4 minis can fit in fine....

Boys3-1.jpg

I have been looking for a good used horse trailer but have found that a lot of the older models (straight haul) have a center support beam that is not removeable and that would make loading a cart just about impossible.
Don't let that little thing stop you.
default_wink.png
I had the one on my trailer cut off, then the welder added a "lip" around where it fit on the bottom, and a bracket both on the beam, and the roof, so that it will"clip" into place easily...held in place with a "pin". I can go out and take some pictures later, if you'd like.
default_yes.gif
We also had a small slide-under-ramp built too, as I have always disliked step-ups, and have actually had horses injured when coming off of a friend's step-up trailer.

I do not mean to be rude or a Miss Know It All, but please listen to what I have to say! DO NOT haul any type of MOVING thing or animal in a cargo trailer, that is why they call them cargo trailers, they are built structurally to haul non moving cargo! If you need help looking for a less expensive used or new trailer, please let me know, there are real mini trailers out there that range from 500-50,000. I will help you find something, but DO NOT haul a mini or animal in a cargo trailer, I have seen some bad wrecks because the trailers could not handle the motion that was occurring on the floor and against the walls. I hate being told by our state police neighbor the cargo trailer/ animal disasters. Please DO NOT make that mistake, they are not horse trailers, they are CARGO TRAILERS for a reason.

Well its been said to death NO single axles, lol My husband is going to transform our large 4 horse trailer into a mini trailer for me, thet way a cart and the horses and all kinds of stuff will fit.

Course we must buy new big horse trailer for the big horses first,

LOVE the pics of the trailers being posted, great ideas to be had,

I have been looking for a good used horse trailer but have found that a lot of the older models (straight haul) have a center support beam that is not removeable and that would make loading a cart just about impossible.
Don't let that little thing stop you.
default_wink.png
I had the one on my trailer cut off, then the welder added a "lip" around where it fit on the bottom, and a bracket both on the beam, and the roof, so that it will"clip" into place easily...held in place with a "pin". I can go out and take some pictures later, if you'd like.
default_yes.gif
We also had a small slide-under-ramp built too, as I have always disliked step-ups, and have actually had horses injured when coming off of a friend's step-up trailer.

Hi Sue C,

If you could pm me some pictures of your modifications (or just put them on this thread for everyone), of what you did that would be fantastic! I also don't like step-up trailers so pictures of the middle beam and slide-under-ramp would be really helpful.

Thanks again to everyone who has so thoughtfully replied with suggestions and tips! I am learning lots!!!!

Joanne

I have been looking for a good used horse trailer but have found that a lot of the older models (straight haul) have a center support beam that is not removeable and that would make loading a cart just about impossible. That is why I started looking at the cargo trailers because they are an open box. Another concern with them (cargo trailer) is that the ramps have cables to help with lifting and I would be concerned with Fox coming off the trailer and possible hitting the cable and hurting himself and/or me. Any comments on cables on the ramp?

Joanne
I have a 4 horse straight load that had a center support bar. I had my welder friend cut the bar out and put in a slot at the top and bottom that it goes back into with a lynch pin to hold it in place. It can be easily removed and replaced to load and unload.

You are too right about the cables being dangerous. They would have to be replaced with garage door type springs as in other trailers. If the trailer was low enough to the ground I would look at removing the ramp altogether and putting in double swinging doors - lighter and easier to use.

Latest posts

Back