Using Cargo Trailers for Minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megamini

Reaction score
I have only one large B mini and I am thinking of the possibility of using a Cargo trailer modified with windows added to take my guy and a lightweight 2-wheel cart to some competitions next summer. Has anyone done this? All of the smaller trailers, 5 x 8 or 5 x 10 have only a single axle. Has anyone used a cargo trailer with a single axle? How was the ride? Any problems with with flat tires when there are only two wheels? Has anyone used the larger 6 x 12 with tandem axles?

I'm just looking at the possibilities and my limited finances means that a regular horse trailer and a large towing vehicle are not really likely to happen. So, i'm trying to think outside of the box. All suggestions and experiences good and bad are welcome!

Joanne

I used my ex mother in laws deer box strapped to a single axle trailer when I got my first mini, also hauled him in the same box in the bed of a truck once. It worked but I wouldn't do it now, and I can't believe I thought it was a good idea back then. The ride was really bouncy on the single axle trailer. I do know someone who used to haul their goats (bigger than my horses) in a cargo trailer with no problems. But I'd be afraid to do it. Mostly because they aren't designed for animals and so the floors/walls are not something I would trust. For the amount of reinforcement I'd have to do to trust it I'd be better off buying a used horse trailer.

Hi, Joanne --

I know others here have used cargo trailers, so you may get some good input from people who have used them.

Personally, I have not used one and I would worry about the single axle if there were a flat or a blow out.

But, one of my mini trailers, I bought 2nd hand for only $1,500! I know they don't come along every day, but it was in great shape and holds 3-4 minis. It's an 8'x5'x5' stock type trailer for minis.

Good luck,

Jill

PS here's my inexpensive mini trailer:

Mini%20Trailer%20and%20Truck%20--%2001272006%20--%20008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't used one, but I would also be leery of a single axle trailer. A flat on one tire would be much more of a problem that with a dual axle.

I agree that a used regular horse trailer may be an option for you. A friend of mine just bought a used two-horse trailer for $400. It has a little rust, but nothing major, and a dent of the roof were a branch had fallen on it, but the floorboards were nearly new and they had put in new wiring and lights. You might try keeping an eye on the newspapers and (in our area) the 'Thrifty Nickle' type of local classified papers.

I had a cargo trailer built specifically to haul miniature horses in back in the mid 90's. It was 5 X 8, fully enclosed with a lifetime rubber floor. I added windows and vents all the way around and it worked perfectly for my needs at the time. A single axle trailer will give a rougher ride than a tandem trailer, so that is something to consider.

What I do have now in addition to my big gooseneck is a small Calico miniature horse trailer. It's also 5 X 8 and a 3 horse slant load. Tandem axle. This little trailer could easily be pulled by a small SUV. It's very lightweight but also very sturdy. I would suggest you look for something like that.

Well I just purchased a 14x7 American Cargo double axle cargo trailer brand new for 4700.00 Cdn. Ideal for my wife and I to haul our minis around. This trailer can haul 7000 pounds of cargo. I do not think you will ever exceed that. The back end drops down on a counter weight. I am allowing 8 feet for horses and 6 feet for ourselves. I will be installing kitchen cupboards up front. They are so nice you could live inside them. I will be building stalls using 1 inch square steel.

KenBen

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1592/9647...9/285918524.jpg

Ours is an aluminum cargo trailer which we modified with slant stalls and will carry 5 miniatures.

An oak floor covered with rubber stall mats glued on top makes the floor excellent.

Windows were added and two roof vents.

I have ridden inside with the horses and it is not overly noisy.

we have a track on the sides to add awnings when at a fair on a hot or rainy day.

Many Cargo trailers come with 2 axles and brakes. I have been looking at a snowmobile Cargo trailer with 2 axles and a heavy duty floor. Would have to put a couple of windows in it and vents,,,, have Rhino liner sprayed on the bottom and half way up the sides. Then have the place I buy it from put tie rings. Takes a bit but is do-able.

Granted I most likley going to have to wait until next summer before I can buy it.

We have something like what you are describing. I carry my cart in the back of my truck (although I have carried it on the top of the trailer a few times). The cargo trailer (I bought it already modified) has a ramp in the rear --- and a back door that shuts from the side. There is a removeable divider -- I can carry 3 32" minis or 2 larger minis at a time. I do NOT like the windows -- as horses have tried to go out them. Mine is only 4 feet tall inside -- 5 feet would be a blessing - I have hit my head several times on the roof. It is lined with plywood and the floor is covered by a rubber stall mat. There is a feed trough in the front that holds hay and/or grain.

I also wish it had 2 axels -- as if you lose a tire with this -- you are in BIG TROUBLE - especially while hauling at speed limit on interstates.

Here is a pic of our rig (sorry the picture is so large):

trktrlr.jpg

Other than the windows (I bungee and hay string tie them so the horses can't come out) - and the single axel -- I love the trailer. Even if we do buy a larger trailer we would keep this for hauling a single horse or for emergency trips to the vet.

JJay

Hi, Joanne --

I know others here have used cargo trailers, so you may get some good input from people who have used them.

Personally, I have not used one and I would worry about the single axle if there were a flat or a blow out.

But, one of my mini trailers, I bought 2nd hand for only $1,500! I know they don't come along every day, but it was in great shape and holds 3-4 minis. It's an 8'x5'x5' stock type trailer for minis.

Good luck,

Jill

OK have seen this before and totally love ths trailer of yours..please what brand is it and model? Thanks, Maxine

Our first mini trailer was a 5x8 cargo single axle. It worked well for a number of years. We traveled to shows as much as 10 hours away, BUT it was a rougher ride. It was extensively modified. Windows & vents, kick plate, rubber mats, loading ramp, 2 dividers. We pulled it with a minivan.

Charlotte

Hi, Joanne --

Good luck,

Jill

OK have seen this before and totally love ths trailer of yours..please what brand is it and model? Thanks, Maxine

Hi, Maxine --

I love it too, just not as much as my "fancy" gooseneck from Wrangler
default_smile.png

My bumper pull was made by Big Valley. It is a 1994! So not nearly new, but very minimal surface rust and I think pretty cute and very useful.

When I was ordering our gooseneck, I had thought I'd probably sell my bumper pull but then thought harder and it's just to handy to sell.

Jill

For safety reasons I would NEVER use a single axle trailer to put anything ALIVE in it.Too much danger of flipping if you turn suddenly or somethingelse like a blowout occurs.I have seen cargo trailers converted very nicely, but it was more expensive than finding an older used horse trailer that was made for hauling animals.I have also used an 8 passenger van with stalls built inside.Horses are right in there with you and that had both good and bad points.Good luck

I second the opinion of looking for a small horse trailer. I just sold mine, already set up for minis (more on that later) for $600. I just wasn't using it. It was pretty old (1979) but it was a really good make (Kingston) and was in terrific shape.

It was originally a two horse straight, with hay mangers and a tack area with saddle rack, but when I bought it, I had the divider moved and modified so it was a two pony/mini slant, with space behind for my cart. Its unloaded weight was just under 1000 pounds. I pulled it with my 1/2 ton dodge van.

Those older two horse straights are really out of favor now. If you keep digging, I bet you can find one that was really well taken care of that you can use for your minis wonderfully for a very reasonable price.

I am just too nervous about a single axle to want to take my minis on the road that way. Good luck and good question!!

Jayne

(p.s.: I have more often hauled my minis in the back of my farm van that I bought for $2000 about 8 years ago and modified for safety. I find this more convenient for quick trips than the trailer was. And my minis just hop right in the back with a mounting block as a step and love looking out the windows. They also like french fries at any random drive through! So if you're thinking outside the box, maybe you can think in this direction too!)

(yet another p.s.: I LOVE the farm van (full size 1991 dodge van, all rubber floor - it was previously a work van for the State of OR) and I think it's much more convenient for the most part than a pickup. It rains here a LOT and I can go to the feed store and throw in my grain and whatever else and still run to the store without worrying about the load getting wet. I can haul hay and of course minis! I got it in the year 2000 with just 100,000 miles on it and now I just have about 130,000 miles on it and it runs great. My mechanic says to never get rid of it as it has some really good engine that dodge used to build that is supposedly unkillable. Just wanted you to think of the options if you spent your money on a good used van rather than a trailer.)

We have a big cargo trailer to haul the minis in and I HATE it. It has a drop down door in the back, so a ramp for the minis to load up on, but it's so HEAVY. We had to put some rubber on it as it is so slippery that they horses could not walk up it. We had a nice rubber mat put on the floor and ties on the walls. BUT the walls are so lightweight that a few of the horses kicked holes in the walls
default_new_shocked.gif
This cargo trailer was my Dad's idea. Mom sent him to the trailer store alone and he came home with this. NOT a good horse hauler. It does have a double axle though. He refused to have windows put in it, so we can't even use it in the summer time. It's just TOO hot in there.

I would NEVER haul a horse in a single axle trailer. They fish tail along behind the vehicle at highway speeds, they are not stable and if you get a flat, good luck! My father-in-law uses a single axle trailer to haul his shoeing equipment and he told me that it's so unstable that it has almost pulled him into the ditch a few times. He drives a one ton 4 door diesel ford truck. He is so unhappy with the trailer.

Also a cargo trailer is probably going to cost you more than a good used two horse trailer would. A new miniature horse trailer that hauls 4 minis, made by Wrangler is about $4500. A 6 x 10 cargo trailer is about $5500. At least here in Montana. I was shocked! A good, big horse, two horse trailer around here runs about $600. Just food for thought
default_wink.png

A good, big horse, two horse trailer around here runs about $600. Just food for thought
default_wink.png
Point me in the direction of that $600 2 horse trailer... I have yet to find one that reasonable around here (still in MT, just the opposite end). I do have a nice 2 horse, but I was looking for a smaller one to modify for the minis. [My 2 horse is a full-size deluxe model that is very nice for my full-size horses, so I don't want to change anything permanently for the minis.]

I have a 5X8 converted cargo trailer. I don't show more than an hour away so this is perfect for me. It has vent, windows, and mats.
Trailer2.jpg

I have and 18 foot cargo trailer that is fitted for minis. I hauled it out to Tulsa and have used it for several shows and it is awesome!!! I trucked eight minis 2 carts 10 bales of hay and 4 bags of shavings along with other gear for nationals and we had plenty of room and it traveled just fine. It is a 2 axle with roof vents and windows. The door in the back on mine is not heavy. As for the price I got a really good deal and it was MUCH cheaper than a new or used horse trailer, I know I had been looking for one [regular horse trailer] for quite some time.

Latest posts

Back