Urine Scald

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candycar

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
What can I use to prevent and cure some urine scald on my mare Lexys back legs. I've notived that when her hair is short it comes out in little clumps and gets real thin. The skin doesn't seem to be very injured, It's just yucky in that area.

I'm assuming it's urine scald, as it is where her urine splashes and is yellowed. The up side is, she misses her white tail
laugh.gif

Would desitine ointment or cream work? I need something that doesn't attract dirt and get all grungy.

Any suggestions? How often, how long and what to use? Thanks all!

Yep, Desitin may be a good choice. It will prevent further damage, too.

Andrea

Yep, Desitin may be a good choice. It will prevent further damage, too.

Andrea
Not sure where you would get it but there is a product called Liquid Glove which would prevent scald and would not be sticky.Never tried it but I think it would work.I have used a light coating of vaseline on my foals to prevent the hairless shiny hiny and that works(I know from experience with that 1.

Can you treat the cause by laying down bedding in the areas she typically pees to avoid splashing? My Arab won't pee outside his stall because he hates the way the dirt makes the pee splatter but he'll use the areas of old bedding in Kody's paddock.

Leia

Can you treat the cause by laying down bedding in the areas she typically pees to avoid splashing?
I would have to bed the whole hill!
new_shocked.gif
I do put old bedding down in some spots and where she likes to go is usually soft deep sand. She pees like a boy all stretched out and facing uphill. It still splashes up.

Back