Urgent help needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShelleyS

Reaction score
saludando.gif
Hi. I'm new to the board and have a question I need a really quick answer to. I've bought my daughter a mare and filly miniatures for her birthday. I'm picking them up tonight and need to know what size of water trough I need for them? A lady at the local feed store told me a 2x2x4, does that sound right? Don't want to take a chance of them running out and also would be nice to have one that doesn't need filled daily. Please advise as I have to go get in in the next couple hours.

Thank you all!

Shelley

I think my favorite ones were made for sheep and are short in height -- maybe 2 feet tall -- I BELIEVE they hold 25 gallons -- or maybe 50 gallons

My favorites look like a short bathtub. You could sit in them in the summer to cool off - and they would be about waist height.

With 2 minis you may need to dump out the water in the summer -- every few days as it will get WARM and may get green with algae (clorox and scrub brushes are the cure for that).. I fill mine 1/2 full -- one mini likes to play in it (splash with his hoof) -- but all the others just drink out of it.

I am very happy with mine with minis from 26" - 38"

Good luck and let us know what you choose to buy!

JJ

PS welcome to the board from North Central KY

Last edited by a moderator:
We use a muck bucket (the kind with the two rope handles -- don't know the capacity) that we got at Home Depot. For two or three horses, it's just right for enough water that they don't run out, without having to constantly dump dirty water (the problem with larger troughs -- and the bigger they are, the heavier when full)

I've seen these same tubs at feed stores for $10-12, but I paid $5 at HD.

Of course, if they are to be stalled at night, they'll each also need a bucket of water large enough to last overnight.

I like the sheep tanks, too. I even keep one for my large horse in the summer specifically because I can exchange the water more frequently. I use the tall tank in the winter to keep the heater fully submerged and away from inquisitive diving expeditions. This also helps if my pipes freeze up and I can't get the water to run outdoors for a few days, the larger tank will ensure that she has enough water until it runs free again.

The sheep tank size holds plenty of water for 2 horses, and for 2 minis I imagine you'd need to fill it, or dump and fill it, every couple (2-5) days at least. I like to add fresh water daily. If it starts to look contaminated from dropped grasses or feed, I don't fill it until it gets down low enough for me to dump it, scrub and refill.

This winter I'll have the husband put in a ball-valve so I can drain and clean it whenever I want.

Heidi

aktion033.gif
Thank you both for responding you both were very helpful. Thank you for the warm welcome too!

Heidi said:
I like the sheep tanks, too.  I even keep one for my large horse in the summer specifically because I can exchange the water more frequently.  I use the tall tank in the winter to keep the heater fully submerged and away from inquisitive diving expeditions.  This also helps if my pipes freeze up and I can't get the water to run outdoors for a few days, the larger tank will ensure that she has enough water until it runs free again.
The sheep tank size holds plenty of water for 2 horses, and for 2 minis I imagine you'd need to fill it, or dump and fill it, every couple (2-5) days at least.  I like to add fresh water daily.  If it starts to look contaminated from dropped grasses or feed, I don't fill it until it gets down low enough for me to dump it, scrub and refill. 

This winter I'll have the husband put in a ball-valve so I can drain and clean it whenever I want.

Heidi

476385[/snapback]

Heidi,

Thank you! THe ball-valve is an excellent idea! Thank you!

I have some of those low troughs, and they hold 50 gallons, which is about 2.5 times what those muck buckets hold (which is what I used to use). These troughs are plenty low enough for a foal. The only problem I've had with them is my pony, Sundance, likes to play in them with his front feet, most of all right after I've cleaned his paddock's trough out and re-filled it, of course.

Welcome from the Brave Little Prancers in Tennessee.

I use the muck buckets from the Dollar Store and cut off the ropes for safety reasons.

I do empty them and scrub them out every two days to keep them clean.

However my foal can't reach so for him I have a black rubber feeder thingy that is about 6 inches high.

Be aware that in winter they will not drink cold water so you will need to keep it warm. If you don't keep it warm and they don't drink they can get sick. You may consider a heated bucket.

Disclaimer to Lurkers: this is not giving veternary advice. This is common sense. Bite me.

I have 2 -- 50 gal tanks. They work great and in the winter I have a tank heater in them as they have the drain plug and I use those types of heaters.. I use the 1500 watt ones so the water is cool not cold which means they drink more in those cold days which helps prevent colic...Welcome to LB.

Hi and Welcome......

This is probably too late for you, but we use BOTH the muck buckets and the 50 gal. goat tanks. The 50 gal. tanks are better in winter for puting de-icers into.....IMO.

(Love your disclamer, Marty! I stuck one in at the bottom of all our posts too.
wink.gif
)

MA

You should have your trough by now, but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway lol. I have all of the above in various places - from individual waterers or buckets in stalls, to muck buckets in my out door runs to a 50 gallon and several 100 gallon troughs in the pastures. I like the bigger 100 gallon troughs because the water stays cooler in our hot summers, downside of course is that they are a begger to empty and clean. I have a float on one so the water level stays full. The babies can't reach it if it's much less than full. For 2 horses, a couple of muck buckets should serve you well - and as Marty said, cut the rope handles off. I had a colt stand and chew the nylon rope in half, and no telling how much he injested. No more handles.
wacko.gif

Marty - love your disclaimer.
biggrin.gif

Jan

Last edited by a moderator:
Im probably a little late on this but I have come to appreciate the plastic precut in 50 gallon barrels.. they come in a variety of colors and I prefer the white ones cause I can see the clearness of the water better.. I have a few and although I dont have to fill them daily, I like to attach the inexpensive auto water contraption to them. If the water gets shut off, accidently these buckets will hold enough water in them to last the minis several days. In my opinion-a bigger bucket is better, in the event of a unexpected water shut off. I dont like them much bigger as then they become too difficult to clean, every once in a while.

We have larger tanks for the big horses and cattle, but for the minis I started out with two 15 gallon tubs (they originally held molasses for the feed mill). I just picked up a new 40 gallon plastic tub, as I've added another mini to the one corral.

Back