upper airway noise

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munchkie

Reaction score
has anyone had any experience with upper airway noise when a mini horse/small pony is breathing harder/ or faster? I haven't heard it when he is running around but hear it when I am grooming him and he is really enjoying it, or sometimes when he's eating (if he's being a brat and trying to steal hay from his buddy for example). My vet said lungs sound good, he has no nasal discharge or coughing. He is 3 1/2 and having teeth erupt I think...

I have had two colts now that do the same as what your describing. I tell people that they are "purring".
default_laugh.png
It is mostly when being groomed. They both have done this since birth and the vets can find nothing wrong with them
default_unsure.png
. Would love to know if anyone knows what this actually means... if anything.

My vet is not concerned, she just said to keep an eye on it to see if it got "worse". I had been assuming it was an 'expression' noise from him also, much like your 'purring minis'
default_smile.png
It very well may be. I will let you know if I find out anything more.

quote name='JAX' timestamp='1322611307' post='1429729']

I have had two colts now that do the same as what your describing. I tell people that they are "purring".
default_laugh.png
It is mostly when being groomed. They both have done this since birth and the vets can find nothing wrong with them
default_unsure.png
. Would love to know if anyone knows what this actually means... if anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, yes, he does it when he is being a little pig
default_smile.png

What did your vet do for an exam?

One of mine makes a similar noise when he eats. He sounds like a little pig. He just started doing it lately and he is 14. Vet could find no concerns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back