Update on sick filly,we thought was colic.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VernB

Reaction score
I thought I would post this here because I want to let others know what I've just experienced....

December 29 I lost my 21yo. stallion Andrews Ameigo to what appeard to be a compaction colic. The vet treated him for this. A few hours before he died I noticed a green/yellowish puss looking stuff running down his sheath and some coming out of his bottom. It was late so I decided to wait till morning to call the vet. The next morning he was dead. So thinking it was colic I gave his food, that he hardly touched to one of the mares and then I put my little black filly in his corral. :no: I noticed that the mare that ate his leftovers was laying around alot. Within 5 days my filly came down with what looked like colic. We rushed her to the vet. He gave her some oil, laxatives, and shots for pain. Still nothing The next day I called him he had us give her another pain shot to keep her from rolling and give her some enemas. So I did. She went 6 days not eating or pooping. I felt lost. :eek: I didn't want to give her more oil or anything else for colic because I didn't think it was. I asked for help here, and started feeling like maybe it was colic. The next morning I called another vet and she said it sounded like a stone or compaction. I called our vet to let him know, and he said bring her in again. He put more oil down her and even more laxatives and gave her a DSS enema. It only puffed her up more she looked like a fat fat toad. When we got back from the vet. I got onto the message board and was reading from the thread I posted. Whitney had written and said " we needed to try kaolin" I was ready to try anything. The closest store we could find was qiute a drive away but I really needed it. We got back late and noticed the other mare( that ate the stallions food) was really sick and rolling she hadn't eaten her food. I gave her some bute(not recomended)because It's all I had and it was late. Then I gave her some Kaolin. The next morning she was acting ok but not eating or pooping. by afternoon she started nibbling at her food then eating it and by 5 o clock she was pooping. I also gave the filly kaolin and noticed her belly had gone down a little but no poop and not eating....I had been waitng for a vet that specializes in equines (also a surgeon) to get back with me. She did and I told her the whole story. She said It sounded like strangles in the abdomen. She told me to force feed the filly and not to much. I did and about 2 in the morning I noticed that the filly had a big pile of diarrhea in her pen and then more and more until her little belly was so sunken she looked starved. She went 9 whole days not eating or pooping. She's now eating a little and looks like she's coming up........ I just felt like surgery wasn't the right thing to do.....

One thing I learned is that the more we treated it for colic the worse it became. I didn't know such a thing existed but I sure learned alot.

I'm so sorry for everything you had to go through. I hope everything will get better, and I'm sending good thoughts your way!
default_pray.gif
:

What is Kaolin? what is it used for and how much do you give them? Never heard of this before.
default_unsure.png
:

I want ANYONE who reads this to make sure if your mini is acting colicky that it is NOT an impaction colic through your VET!

You can read my prior posts on what I have been through for the last 3 months. With 3 different vets. We finally think it is bacteria/viral and hopefully a hard freeze will kill it.

Kaolin (purchased at Tractor Supply Co) is white clay. It is recommended for loose stool. I think the vets call it kaopectaline (sp) Dr. Pam would know. But it also must pull toxins out of the gut. Whatever my horses had it DIDNOT like kaolin. I had 3 very colicky horses. However I was able to keep them eating, pooping and peeing with a receipe I devised. So I knew it wasn't an impaction colic, not to mention they all got it within a week of each other with no change of feed/turnout etc.

I found out kaolin USED to be in Kaopectate, before they changed the formula to the same ingredients that is in pepto bismal. Kaolin is in UGard an ulcer preventative. But this is not an ulcer I did the gastrogard for 30 days with my minis and as soon as I stopped giving it the colicky symptoms returned.

The only reason I found it important to post here is because minis are dying from whatever this is and NO ONE including the University Vet Hospital knows what it is. I'm SO glad it helped VernB.

If it is bacterial/viral an antibotic will kill it but without knowing what IT is, your vet may pick the wrong one and make it much worse thats what happen to Tweet when treated with Tribrissen.

In closing I will state again call your vet FIRST!

Last edited by a moderator:
default_sad.png
Sure hope your horses are on the mend.

Can only guess you must've felt so vulnerable with all the differing vet opinions. Sharing your experience has been extremely helpful.

Thanks, Whitney, for sharing your heart-wrenching experience and the existence of Kaolin. Gues who'll make a trip to Tractor Supply this weekend.

Thanks for sharing. Even us oldies are constantly learning from our forum buddies... I am sorry to hear about your loss. Hope all is well soon!
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back