Update on QH Dollar

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini-Max (Christine)

Reaction score
Well, Dollar is showing improvement each day. She unfortunatly still running a slight fever since Wed afternoon. Our vet has been out everyday since we lost the foal (Tuesday night) and given her medication. He has flushed her out twice. My heart just breaks each time I look into her eyes. She is eating and drinking lots of water. I am so worried about the infection spreading. My vet says it will just take time and lots of monitoring for her. He did find a tear in her muscle wall, but none so far in her rectum. That is a surprise with how much pulling and tugging we had to do.

I have a question...the guy at Tractor Supply said I probably caused the foal to be to large. He said I should have cut her feed back the last two weeks. I never read that in all the research I did. I was feeding her Omelen 200 - two feedings a day -- 3.25 lbs a feeding -- orchard hay. The vet said no, but I don't know if he was just being nice to not hurt my feelings.

Thank you again for all your kind words and support.

Christine

That guy at TSC has a bad case of stupiditis :eek: He is merely repeating something he heard that probably has no real basis in fact. If you even think you caused this, then ask your Vet. What you did or did not feed, had nothing to do with it. It was just darn luck and mother nature. DO NOT beat yourself up worrying that you are to blame. Hugs!

No, not true, not your fault at all.

Even if the mare is starved she can give birth to a huge foal, this is just a myth.

Think about it- the last two weeks??

Heck a lot of mares go short of the accepted pregnancy length by a lot more than two weeks- so just when does he suggest you start cutting back??

Not true, just a myth.

im so sorry for your loss. I feel like the others what you fed the last 2 weeks had nothing to do with it.

Also this shows once again that the mare does not determine the size of the foal. So many people post here that a mare wont produce a foal that is so big she cant foal out. That is a huge myth to!

for sure i would never breed her back to whatever stallion she was bred to on this foal

That TSC person should go to vet school! :eek: We had a mare that was bred to a local stallion -The foal was huge - above what she had been having previously. One of her other foals was itty bitty ( by our stallion)................ Since 1986 we've foaled out about 100 foals. We have always fed our mares well & we've always increased the grain in the last month. Some of the foals were itty bitty & some were average with about two being large.............. If you plan on breeding her again try to find out about her foaling history. Also curious to know about the stallion - what his other foals were like.

Thank you again for the replies. The stallion has had 7 or 8 fillies some average, a few where large. Her filly last year with him was big, but she delivered on her own. This was both the mare and stallions first colt. The people we bought her from are so devistated for us. They are offering us her filly from last year at a discount or a free breeding to any one of their stallions in the future. The vet said he thinks she might be able to be bred again, but to give her at least a year to heal. I think it will be much longer than that for me to even consider this again. Dollar is still running a slight fever and we are giving her the antibiotics. She is starting to walk more and grazing around the pasture. The sad thing is she never went looking for the foal or even cried out for it. It was like she new that it died. My hubby thinks she hates him for all that happened. He was one of the first people to go in the stall to help her. Every time he walks out to talk and pet her she walks away from him. It is really breaking his heart. I think with time all of our hearts will heal.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back