update on laminitis....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

krissy3

Well I have researched this to death, and made a few calls. This is what we did , and this is what will happen in the next few days...I am posting in case someone can learn from this.

I want to say first ...if you have a very chubby pony , act now and quickly to make sure this doesnt happen to you.

It looks like my overweight mare that can find calories in air, has Laminitis and has not foundered yet. Founder is when the bone actually rotates or drops. Laminitis is irritation , and if you dont take it seriously it will turn to Founder.

I put her in the round pen with deep sand and took everything green away from her. The sand is so she can sink her toes in and give those heels a rest. Then watered the whole dry lot to soften all of the footing , and added more shavings to her stall. Later I read to give her bute and that she can have grees dry grass hay , but not pasture. I also read that it is important to let her walk , so she can stimulate the blood flow in the hoof. Fortunatly I massage my horses feet , so they gladly accept this , but she was not keen on the idea today. If the hoof is warm you can aply cool water but not cold or the blood vessels will close . I liked the wet muddy ground , cool and soft. I checked the pulse behind the fetlock joints , it was not throbbing.I had a very bad trim 3 weeks prior , and this could be from that . My new Farrier that will be here saturday , (he will drive across country to get here ) said according to the photos taken after the trim it made sense that she would have this problem now. So more help is on the way. He is a wild hoof trimmer , specializing in ponys. He told me NOT to give bute or any other chemical as the toxins will be eliminated in the hoof causing more problems. Here , we go into the Alps in late summer for Arnika flowers and simmer them for 2 days in milk fat , then let it sit for a day and remove the flowers. i m to rub this on the outside of her hoof wall, to eliminate toxins naturally. I have made a giant bed from straw in her paddok as well , incase she prefers to sleep outside tonight. I learned that grass hay cut while it has gone to seed is just as dangerious as eating spring grass. I looked at this hay and sure enough there are some grass seeds in it . Fortunatly I have other hay w/out the flowers... I think the first hay is like eating Lucky Charms. So by Saturday we will know if this was caused by the farrier , but for now she is stable .-..knock on wood. I normally would call the vet , but here they are more expierenced with cows. So taking away all rich food is the first thing to do , then soft ground, and I like the watered down lot. then seek professional advise from a farrier or vet. It makes sense to me about NOT giving bute ... Any of you grow and use Arnica?

hope this personal expierence helps someone else down the road.

I'm glad to hear your mare is stabilized and that help is on the way!

Latest posts

Back