Update on Ellies colic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElliesMom

Reaction score
Well, Ellie made it through the night. She took another small poop, but it contained long strings of what looks like intestinal lining which leaves me wondering if this is normal after colic?

She also still has the purple color to parts of her gums....I've searched all over the internet to find out what this could mean....so it is a circulatory problem, but there is no info on what kind of circulatory problem it might be......Any suggestions?

Please help if you can offer me any answers to these questions....its much appreciated!

Just popped on, so haven't seen your first post. Is she under veterinary care?

The shreds of mucus and tissue you see are parts of her colon and possibly intestines sloughing--not a good thing. This usually happens in severe inflammation of the lower digestive tract due to Salmonella, Clostridium, or other agents that cause colitis. The horses are very painful, and can go go from a normal horse to dead in 48 hours with the more severe cases. On top of that, endo toxins are released into the bloodstream causeing shock and circulatory problems--purple gums. I would be all over this baby with IV fluids, anti inflammatories, and antibiotics plus whatever supportive care is necessary. Her bloodwork should be closely monitored for electrolytes and protein levels. One of my own babies had this several years ago and I believe the only thing that pulled her through was IV plasma and prayer when all else was failing.

Best wishes!!

[SIZE=14pt]Boy Dr PAm....we are soooooo very lucky to have you![/SIZE]

Lyn

Would the intestine sloughing be caused by blister beetles by chance? There was no change in anything in her diet or routine that would have caused her to colic...so its a mystery still. But I did read up on blister beetles this morning and realized that I might have seen one yesterday without knowing what it was. Can these bugs be in any kind of hay?

The vet did treat her yesterday for what it was worth....but her gums still have the purply color to them, and thats whats got me concerned.

Elliesmom --

I'd be on the phone to the vet telling him you are bringing your mare in. I'd also print up Dr. Pam's post and bring it with you.

Best wishes,

MA

I had a mare earlier this year with a unidentified gram rod negative bacteria, similar to Salmonella but not, and we too poured the IV fluids (50 liters in 2.5 days) into her along with a liter of plasma.

She was hospitalized and also went on high powered antibiotics. She made it but it took very aggressive and quick treatment.

Whenever I have a colic, I have gotten so I demand IV fluids, it really helps them pull through it.

Call your vet

Latest posts

Back