Update on College Station Police Officer who shot the mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txminipinto

Reaction score
I was just surfing the local news media and found this link in regards to the police officer who shot the mini here in College Station:

College Station Police Officer Cleared of Charges

Since I wasn't there, I don't know how I feel about this. I'm sorry it came to this descision but I can see both sides of the issue.
default_unsure.png
:

There are of course two sides to every story. If a dog had been running loose, causing damage, we would be glad it had been stopped before further damage was done. From what I have read, this seems like a similar situation.

Wow!!! Is about all I can say, that must have been one agressive mini. I feel bad for everyone involved in something like this :no:

Since I wasn't there, I don't know how I feel about this. I'm sorry it came to this descision but I can see both sides of the issue.
default_unsure.png
:
Why are you sorry that it came to this descision? You weren't there (like you said) and you don't know what this poor horse owner had to go through (the fact that he's a cop has nothing to do with this..he could be a brain surgeon and he has the right to protect his animals.). I'm sure if he's a police officer with ongoing training in the use of firearms he thought long and hard before doing what he did. I have no gun training at all but if someone's (not going to say mini here-to change the breed)...if someone's LLama stud repeatedly broke onto my property and attacked my mini mare injuring her to the point where she required medical care and the owners did nothing to stop it I'd have no problem getting my husbands pre-ban AR15 assult rifle and blasting the sun of a gun to his maker
default_rolleyes.gif
: . Same goes with stray/loose dogs...POW...dead as a doornail. I wouldn't even mess about. I've seen too many post on this board about injured horses to stand by saying "please" tp owners who don't secure their animals properly.

Oh my god, I cant believe that it is ok.... but they want to vote for a 'no spanking' law for kids. Dont spank your kids but shoot your neighbors Mini. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :eek:

WOW!!!

"Texas law provides that citizens have a right to use force to protect their property at nighttime if there is no alternative"

What lucky lucky people you are!! We do not have the same privlidge here! If someone was to break into our home, burgle the house, threaten to kill the children and you shot him and killed him you would be charged with 1st degree murder! We have terrible problems here in NZ currently with what are known as "home invasions" at nightime! It is horrible!!! We just cannot seem to get away with legally protecting ourselves by using force. There was recently a case here where a guy stormed into a firearms store to hold the place up and the owner shot him in the leg. THE SHOP OWNER WAS charged!!!!!!! Its crazy!!! :no:

WOW!!!

"Texas law provides that citizens have a right to use force to protect their property at nighttime if there is no alternative"

What lucky lucky people you are!! We do not have the same privlidge here! If someone was to break into our home, burgle the house, threaten to kill the children and you shot him and killed him you would be charged with 1st degree murder! We have terrible problems here in NZ currently with what are known as "home invasions" at nightime! It is horrible!!! We just cannot seem to get away with legally protecting ourselves by using force. There was recently a case here where a guy stormed into a firearms store to hold the place up and the owner shot him in the leg. THE SHOP OWNER WAS charged!!!!!!! Its crazy!!! :no:
My husband and I were discussing this because we are planning on moving on the outskirts of town. Years ago, we were told by the police that if someone is breaking into your home and you shoot them, you better drag them indoors or you could be charged for murder. Doesn't sound fair, does it? We decided that we are going to get some high voltage cattle prods and place them around our property/home incase someone comes in. At least it would catch them offguard, and give you an upper hand. That way, it's self defense and not murder.

I completely agree with you miniwhinny, no matter what the animal, I'm going to protect my animals. I ended up shooting the neighbors dog because she actually killed one of our calves, and chased our horses, full-size and minis both. I called her owners on several occasions telling them that she'd had all of our cats "treed" on every fence post, and all the cows backed into the pasture corner. They'd sometimes come and get her right away, but what other choice did I have. The calf that died was only two days old. Sometimes you have to get rid of the problem before more animals get hurt.

If the owners of the mini were angered, they should have penned it up. What if there was a kid in with the neighbors horses?

The way I remember the original story this horse was TIED UP AND SHOT AS IT WAS TIED is that correct? he was able to catch it stop it from doing any damage and then decided to shoot it again this was how I remember it being presented the first time and if that is the case.. it was totally unjustified

The way I remember the original story this horse was TIED UP AND SHOT AS IT WAS TIED is that correct? he was able to catch it stop it from doing any damage and then decided to shoot it again this was how I remember it being presented the first time and if that is the case.. it was totally unjustified

that's the way i remember it too, which is what i had the problem with as well. i would never want to see a mini shot, but if it was loose on the rampage that's one thing... if he already had it caught and tied up, i believe the shooting was unjustified.

one can only hope not to be found in such a situation, on either side!!

Once again an animal suffers because of the low life that owns them and takes no responsibility to keep them contained on their own property. Stupid idiots all around.

that's the way i remember it too, which is what i had the problem with as well. i would never want to see a mini shot, but if it was loose on the rampage that's one thing... if he already had it caught and tied up, i believe the shooting was unjustified.

one can only hope not to be found in such a situation, on either side!!
And the fabulous Forum Police tired the man and found him guilty as a result of what was printed in a newspaper without hearing his side at all. Thank goodness the justice system looked at BOTH sides of the story before reaching a decision.

Sadly.. as one who lived in LA during the Riots
default_sad.png
and the Rodney King case or the OJ simpson case... not to mention my own personal issues and that of other women and children,victims of repeat petifiles or friends who have had children killed by drunk drivers(many not on there first offense) the list goes on and on..

I surely have learned to have very little faith in our justice system to actually..... provide Justice! :no:

That said I clearly said IF IT WAS THE CASE that the horse was tied up and then shot.. it was not justified and yep I stand by that statment

Last edited:
You get the picture to Songcatcher...good one.

Clara

So...it is OK to shoot a dog that has been caught and is tied up...but it is not OK to shoot a horse that has caused damage on numerous occasions and, if turned over to it's owners, will do so again???

It was not HURT in any way shape of form, only killed, cleanly.

Would you rather that he took pot shots at it as it ran around harassing his animals (I bet it was a stallion!!- I have seen for myself the potential of a Mini stallion loose with big horses)

I'll bet that PitBull that killed Tony's horses was a gentle dog with his family, but it's OK to shoot it??

Even though it was a family pet??

Yes, of course it was and, like Tony, this man was at the end of his tether and did what he did to give as little stress to the horse and himself.

In certain circumstances I agree with his actions, just as I did with Tony's actions.

So...it is OK to shoot a dog that has been caught and is tied up...but it is not OK to shoot a horse that has caused damage on numerous occasions and, if turned over to it's owners, will do so again???

It was not HURT in any way shape of form, only killed, cleanly.

Would you rather that he took pot shots at it as it ran around harassing his animals (I bet it was a stallion!!- I have seen for myself the potential of a Mini stallion loose with big horses)

I'll bet that PitBull that killed Tony's horses was a gentle dog with his family, but it's OK to shoot it??

Even though it was a family pet??

Yes, of course it was and, like Tony, this man was at the end of his tether and did what he did to give as little stress to the horse and himself.

In certain circumstances I agree with his actions, just as I did with Tony's actions.
I agree with you. Judging just from what I have seen in news reports, this animal was a repeat problem. It had a well established pattern of behaviour, and it's owners had shown they were not going to keep it at home. If we took the words "miniature horse" out of this story and replaced them with "pit bull" or "large dog" we would all be cheering for the guy.

The thing that gets me, as always, is that this horse was likely simply following his instincts. And just like with dogs that end up shot for the same behaviours it has paid the price for belonging to people who can't be bothered to keep it properly confined. That angers me in ways I simply can not begin to express.

I have a question, why didnt animal control come and take the Mini from the owners and find it a new home??? I didnt read all the article..........just curious to why it was shot and not found a new home??
default_wacko.png
:

I am journalist. I've worked on some major papers both as a staffer and freelancer (long since retired). Believe me...NEVER...EVER believe what you read in a newspaper as gospel. The jist will be correct but 99% of the time that's as far as it goes. Anyone ever witness something the press has then written about will most likely know what I mean..."but it didn't happen that way!!!".

I'm sure more of the truth was told when both sides got to court.

I have a question, why didnt animal control come and take the Mini from the owners and find it a new home??? I didnt read all the article..........just curious to why it was shot and not found a new home??
default_wacko.png
:

I'm curious about whether animal control was involved in the past myself and if so what exactly they did...

however with other wandering animals I have personally dealt with in the past it usually goes like this:

1. I catch roaming beast and return it to owner with a threat to call animal control if it happens again. It always happens again.

2. I catch roaming beast and call animal control. Animal control returns it to owner with a threat to take it away if they don't keep it home. They do not keep it at home.

3. I catch roaming beast and call animal control. Animal control returns it to owner with a threat to take it away if they don't keep it home. They do not keep it at home.

4. I catch roaming beast and call animal control. Animal control returns it to owner with a threat to take it away if they don't keep it home. they STILL do not keep it at home.

Repeat several times.

The only time animal control has actually solved the problem is if they can't find the owner at all. Unless the owner surrenders the animal or a judge gives them permission to confiscate the animal chances are they will just have to return it to owner over and over and over. Of course, if the animal is a clear and present danger to my animals (actively trying to attack them) it never gets that far.

edit to add:

I am journalist. I've worked on some major papers both as a staffer and freelancer (long since retired). Believe me...NEVER...EVER believe what you read in a newspaper as gospel. The jist will be correct but 99% of the time that's as far as it goes. Anyone ever witness something the press has then written about will most likely know what I mean..."but it didn't happen that way!!!".

I'm sure more of the truth was told when both sides got to court.
OH BOY! Is that ever the truth!!! Every news story I have ever been involved with or personally known the people who were involved was SO inaccurate I hardly ever take anything at face value any more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again an animal suffers because of the low life that owns them and takes no responsibility to keep them contained on their own property. Stupid idiots all around.

Yes, Marty is right! Couldn't have said better.

Anita

Latest posts

Back