update He's eating!!!!!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBennettp

Reaction score
Just an update, Dandy is still very sick. He is still not eating any grain and only nibbling at hay. I have had him in the yard to graze and he mostly just stands there.

The vet is still optimistic about his recovery and calls daily to check on his progress. Dandy is still on antibiotics, Assure, and electolytes.

He has probably lost 50 lbs. I guess the fact that he was overweight has really been a good thing or he wouldn't have any reserves.

He is somewhat better, he made me chase him to catch him this morning. He hates taking his medicine.

Anyway, I wanted to say thanks for all the prayers and good thoughts,they are much appreciated.

Dandy is a pain in the rear but we still love him. I just want him to get better, I don't want to lose him.

Update: Monday evening, he ate his grain!!!! That is the first grain he has eaten in nearly 2 weeks!

He also is eating hay. I am so happy! I really thought we were going to lose him.

I called the vet and he is happy too. He said don't rush him, it is going to take a long time for him to be truly well but he is on the uphill side now.

Thanks everybody so much for the good thoughts and prayers, they really have helped.

Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor Dandy, I will keep praying that he gets better very soon.
pray.gif

Sorry to hear he is still so sick.

I'm sure you are doing all you can and all the vet has said, but just a thought on food. When my one mare was sick and went off pretty much all feed, one thing that she continued to eat better than anything else were her favorite treats (there were days she didn't want them, but for the most part, she continued to eat them), now I know they are not a complete feed and everything she needed, but she would eat them. I crushed them in a bit of beet pulp for her, mixed them with her regular feed, and etc; somedays she ate the feed, somedays she just picked out the treats. At this time of year, when we no longer have much for grass, eating anything is a good thing.

I'm so sorry. I know you are doing everything you guys can think of. Sending more prayers for you and Dandy.

Mary I've been sending prayers and wondering.

{{{{Hugs}}}} for you and Dandy. I know if anyone can get him through this, it's you and your vet.

Sending healing thoughts. I hope your vet is right and it will just take a little time....

Mary, you and Dandy are in my thoughts and prayers. Please take a look at this Nich Quick Start or similar high calorie paste / liquid product you syringe into mouth. Tastes good, high calorie, easy to digest. I think it saved one of my horses this past spring. Also stimulates appetite. Just need a large 30cc or so syringe to dose it a few times a day out of the bottle it comes in. Think it's like 180 calories a dose which adds up plus it perks up their own appetite. Recommend some of the 16oz bottles... I think each 30cc dose is about one ounce and would do 3x day. I really think it was a significant factor for one of our horses this past spring. This horse we and vet think was pre hyperlipedemia. Was VERY serious very fast. Wasn't given a high chance to make it and was on much meds. But I credit this high calorie "force feed" for her complete recovery.

http://www.jeffersequine.com/product.asp?camid=EQU&pn=0032410&cn=2364

Last edited by a moderator:
Mary called last night and said she feels Dandy is slightly improving. He had a decent day grazing a little bit in a new little grassy pen she put up for him on Sunday temporarily. He's drinking his water with electrolytes in it. I kept saying ulcers too from the get-go but the tests point to a bad bacteria infection. Her vet does not want to give him any ulcer meds as he told her it might be a conflict with the meds he is presently on. She should be back on here tonite with another update after work.

IF ulcers, then some fresh grass will be a help.

The high cal supplement Jill mentions would be something I'd try...and I have found that Red Cell helps stimulate appetites. I've mixed onto feed and they began to consume again.

I'm thinking the vet has tested for a bacteria -- yes?

Prayers for his recovery soon. It's a horrid feeling when we just can't seem to help them!! Graze him all you can.

What wonderful news, I will keep praying for a speedy recovery.

Latest posts

Back