UP-DATE...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue_C.

Reaction score
Animal health authorities investigating an outbreak of equine piroplasmosis on a South Texas ranch have now located 317 positive horses. These horses include 288 on the index ranch, seven on other premises in Texas, one in Alabama, two in California, five in Florida, one in Georgia, five in Louisiana, one in Minnesota, two in North Carolina, three in New Jersey, one in Tennessee, and one in Wisconsin. All known positive horses are under quarantine, and testing of all epidemiologically linked horses is ongoing.The information was released in a Nov. 13 report issued to the World Organization for Animal Health (Office International des Epizooties, or OIE) by John Clifford, DVM, deputy administrator of the USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. See the report.

Officials in the United States have screened all imported horses for piroplasmosis for nearly 30 years. The disease was officially eradicated from the United States in 1988. It is spread by as many as 15 species of ticks, the use of contaminated needles, and possibly through blood-contaminated semen of infected stallions.

Signs of equine piroplasmosis can include a host of nonspecific clinical signs, such as fever or anemia, and some infected horses might appear well. Blood tests are needed to diagnosis the disease. The only treatment is a potent type of chemotherapy that can have serious side effects in some horses.

As a result of the current investigation, Canada and several states have restricted the importation of horses from Texas. Bob Hillman, DVM, Texas' state veterinarian and head of the Texas Animal Health Commission, urged horse owners and veterinarians to check with animal health officials for any state of destination to ensure the animals have met all entry requirements.

Read more:

Equine Piroplasmosis Reported in New Jersey

Piroplasmosis: Texas Horse Owners Urged to Check Regulations Before Hauling

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up. I just contacted my veterinarians office by email and will find out what they say.

I have six horses sold that are due to leave for Canada. Sounds like I will need one more certification!
default_wacko.png

All these horses are from California, so not a problem. Just ONE MORE form!

If any of you Canadians want a horse from our farm we are certainly in practice with the paperwork!!!
default_biggrin.png

Actually you don't need an extra form, just an extra statement on the regular health papers. We had to get that on our health papers for Q when we brought him up this fall, though in actual fact the border restriction on horses from Missouri was lifted just days before he came across the border. At the time the papers were done the restriction was in effect, so the vet added that extra statement on the side of the health certificate.

I should have scanned a copy of the one that just went to Ontario - her certification read like a book with the new Texas restrictions on it! LOL

Wow now that is scary, and we have a show in Glen Rose with Horses coming in from eveywhere!!
default_new_shocked.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I've fallen in love with a pony that is now in Texas, and I of course am in Ontario. Is there any way to work around this ban?

Lewella, sounds like you did?

Maybe it's just not meant to be
default_no.gif

Back