Unofficial use of photos on websites

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crabtree Farm

Reaction score
How do you feel when photos you purchased are being used on other people's websites without your permission?

Like many of us, I have paid for quite a few professional photos over the years. My feelings about the question really depend on the situation:

• If it's a horse I've sold them, that's part of the deal as far as I'm concerned. I would expect them to display any pictures of the horse that they wished to use.
  • If it's one of my horses they are holding out as their own -- that is not okay.
  • If they're using a photo of one of my horses to promote something that I appreciate, I would actually be proud they wanted to use my horse's image.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Jill 100%!

But... I always ask the buyer of the photo for their permission to use the photo if I haven't paid for it.

I have found that every horse that I have bought came with the photo "rights" from the seller.

And if I have purchased a photo of one of my horses I would be more than happy to share it... as long as the photographer is properly credited.

I'm with Jill & Julie here too.

Are you referring to a horse you sold and then the new owners are using the photos? Or someone simply using them because they like YOUR horse?

I have always asked permission to use photos of horses I have purchased. I have never been turned down - and actually they will send me more of what they have (thank you everyone again). We also pay tribute to them on our website by name. So perhaps someone viewing our horse, sees where it came from, likes the pictures and then goes to the sellers website to check them out further. Maybe consider it a way to draw more viewers to your website to check out your available horses?

I think it's common courtesy to ask permission BEFORE displaying someone else's photos.

Editted to add:

If you are totally against someone else using your photos, there are ways you can protect it so they can't copy/paste/download (although some are pretty smart in getting around it but majority wouldn't have access).

On the flip side, I don't agree in people false-advertising with photos they randomly copy from websites or sale ads without the owner even knowing (DRK has had some issues with this and hopefully finds a way to correct & prevent it in the future).

Like many of us, I have paid for quite a few professional photos over the years. My feelings about the question really depend on the situation:
  • If it's a horse I've sold them, that's part of the deal as far as I'm concerned. I would expect them to display any pictures of the horse that they wished to use.
  • If it's one of my horses they are holding out as their own -- that is not okay.
  • If they're using a photo of one of my horses to promote something that I appreciate, I would actually be proud they wanted to use my horse's image.
I agree.

I will also add that if a photo is being used in a way to promote their horses (see this horse from so and so farm, it is a half sibling, sibling, get , grandget, ......) but I have never dealt with the farm, I would expect them to ask me first.

I think it is proper to ask permission, so I agree with that.

If you do not want to allow that to anyone there are ways to make it impossible to take the photo off your site.

I often prefer new owners use my photos of the horse on their website as we have strived to get excellent photos and would rather see a great photo of one of my horses on their site then a poor one.

Each of your horses is an ambassador of your farm. A great photo is a sales tool.

I have been known to cringe when I see a spectacular horse of ours on another site in a pasture photo. OMG!
default_new_shocked.gif

PLEASE use our photos!

Everybody knows how I feel about this. I've had it happen to me twice this year and it's still happening. If someone would ask me and it's for a reference or they purchased one from me and wanted to use the pictures I would be honored to let them use them but to just take them without permission and especially to use them as they were their own horses is unacceptable.

I too agree with Jill and the notes above....

No it is not right to use someone else's photos and pass off as their own. This is fraud, false advertising, etc.. and I certainly would NEVER buy (or sell) to someone with no ethics like this.

And if I purchased the photo, and a certain person took it to scan and use on my website (which they created for me) then used that same photo on their website.

And then I sent this email.

I have been informed that you have photos of XXXXXXXXXXXXXX on your website. I am formally making notice that you remove that photo from your website immediately. You do not have official use of that photo.

Sincerely,

Tina Ferro

cc. XXXXXXXXXXXX, Esquire - Attorney at Law

Shouldn't that suffice?

Though I can't post what was sent back to me, I did go look at the website and as of 10:30 am this morning, the photo was still on there.

If it's someone who designed your website, I would hope that you would have a good relationship with them.

I would try to not overreact, I would just shoot them an e-mail and say something along the lines of:

"Hello! I take the handling of my horses and photographs very seriously. I noticed that one of my photos, the one of "X", is on your website. Could you please remove it promptly?"

And then, if they don't send you an e-mail back with the intent to reply (and then do take it off) I would get a little bit firmer.

Many people don't share the same feelings. I am pretty casual about photography myself... but always respect the wishes of others should something come up!

Andrea

Are they simply using as "here is an example of my website work?" and have they done any enhancing?

If that is honestly the case, I don't see alot of harm in it, JMHO.

I had some show photos I purchased. One photo I asked the photographer to blacken the background. It turned out GREAT, they have it under their sample photos to show the extent of their capabilities, no biggie.

Latest posts

Back