Ulcers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kilkenny Farms

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

There has been some talk about mini horses with ulcers and it has got me a bit concerned.

What do you think causes ulcers in mini horses?

How do you prevent them?

What are some signs that make you think your horse might be suffering from ulcers?

Thanks for the info,

Barbara

Some studies have concluded that as many as 90% of all horses have ulcers.
default_new_shocked.gif

Horses have evolved to eat forage (grass, mainly), and on an almost constant basis. Their stomachs are relatively small for their size, since they are designed to eat small amounts all day long. With the way domesticated horses are fed, many are only fed twice a day (some only once!) and many get at least half of their calories from grain, which doesn't absorb the acids in the stomach as forage does. When a horse's stomach is empty, the acids have nothing to work on but the stomach lining.
default_sad.png

Stress can also contribute to ulcers. Horses that are showing or working hard, or traveling for example, my produce more stomach acid.

Studies have shown that pastured horses tend to have fewer ulcers than stalled horses, but sometimes there just is no access to pasture, so the best thing to do is offer smaller meals, more often, if possible. Also, alfalfa hay helps to absorb stomach acids. And when a horse is going through something stressful like extended travel, etc, it's good to give something like UlcerGard that can help prevent ulcers.

Signs of ulcers can be subtle at first: losing appetite, especially for grain or just a certain type of feed; drinking a lot or just dipping their muzzle in water and not wanting to drink; lack of "bloom"; grinding teeth; lying down a lot, or lying on their backs with their feet in the air, or "dogsitting".

There has been a lot of research lately on ulcers and many articles in horse magazines about it. These days there are plenty of medicines out there to try to prevent ulcers, and Gastrogard is the best medicine for treating existing ulcers (though it's expensive, it really works).

recent studies (over the past few years) have shown that over 65 percent of all weanlings have ulcers from the stress of being weaned.

The way I understand it just like in people once you have an ulcer they can flare up again during times of stress for some horses that can be as simple as changing pasture mates for others it can be travel or showing- or training.

From my limited experience with ulcers, but with observation over the years........my OPINION agrees with Lisa and Magic in that the primary cause for ulcers is STRESS.

Many of our youngsters may work themselves through a minor episode without our even knowing it because we have good feeding management with plenty of quality forage (this also may include pasture time), proper grain and supplement, and lots of water.

Weaning time is obviously a stressful time. But it can be compounded by other stressful activities which can set things off. We have only had two youngsters who (obviously) had ulcers. One was a minor episode and has gone on to live a happy life. The other, and most recent, did NOT survive. She was a beautiful and successful show filly and the stress of showing her after she was weaned was apparently what set things off. We will never truly know for sure, but she was weaned at six months. And two months later we lost her.

I suppose we should consider ourselves lucky. We've been breeding minis for 18 years and have had two ulcer cases.... with averaging 10 foals born per year.

**Two important things I feel people should pay attention to: One - is allowing a horse to "GRAZE", whether it's on pasture or plenty of quality hay, it doesn't matter. Two - WORMING....... No promises that a horse won't get an ulcer, but it will sure help PREVENT them!

(Crawling off my soap box now.)

If you go according to doctors that treat humans, stress does NOT CAUSE ulcers. Stress can accelerate the production of gastric juices which then irritates ulcers greatly. The current studies say that ulcers are caused by bacteria (they're just not sure what!).

Hubby and horses here have been treated for ulcers - - gee, maybe it's ME! LOL

As the others have mentioned once an ulcer is there it's difficult to make sure it's completely healed and there is always a good chance for reoccurance. I do feed more alfalfa during show season and try to get my show horses on grass when I can. Other than that I break the feed into 3 or 4 meals through out the day during show season and add probios and/or ulcergard during prolonged shows (like Nationals).

Ulcers are something I have intimate knowledge about. My Sr. stallion , last winter had a bout with ulcers. We almost lost him. First off, Howdy recieves GUT, an ulcer prevenitive. Better then most of the OTC stuff and contains probiotics. If he is in a time of stress, he recieves a prevenative dose of Gastro Gaurd, showing, breeding season, ect.... But the most important thing is to keep something in their tummies.

We split his meals into 3 smaller meals and like another member said good hay all day and night.

My vet says highest percentage are in foals and weanlings. So, all my stallions now recieve Gut and all weanlings recieve it too.

I've had really good luck this year treating some of my mild ulcer symptom show horses with a product called EquiTum. It's an equine antacid. I've been able to keep them off of ulcer medications with the use of EquiTum.

my 2 YO had ulcers because of the amount of hauling, because I was feeding a grass hay on the road for them to nibble on. Big no no! Ulcers need alfalfa, the calcium in it soothes the ulcer, so my boys get alfalfa cubes on the road while traveling. Exercise increases the acidity in the stomach which irritates ulcers. so when mt boy was affected, we could only hand walk him.

Go to www.thehorse.com it is loaded with tons of answers/ suggestions from Vets and scientists. just use the search box, and also sign up for the daily newsletter, you will love it. it talks about EVERYTHING!

Thanks again to all of you who took the time to write and share informatioan on this worrysome subject. I learned a lot and now have several things that I can do to try and be proactive.

You all are great!

Barbara Kilkenny

Latest posts

Back