Uh Oh.... Not Again Pit Bull attack

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony,

default_pray.gif
: I am sending prayers your way that your mini makes a full recovery.. This has to be the very hard for you to deal with as it keeps happening to you. This world needs more responsible pet owners... Please, Please
default_please.gif
: Don't sell out.. The mini world would be loosing and incredible man
default_yes.gif
: Please give us an update on your lit' one... And keep the gun handy.. :new_2gunsfiring_v1: Take care Tony, am I hope tomorrow brings you a much better day..
default_wub.png
:

Holy Cow!! Thats all I can say!! I sure hope your little guy recovers well and that you find the other dog or dogs.

Wow!!

:no: Tony,

Please don't sell out.I love your place, you all do a great job. You can have dogs or other animals attach in the street, so don't let yourself get down.We know you love your minis and would be lost without them(and them lost without you)We love all your minis. The mini world would be lost without you all. Bad things happen to good people. Keep Your head up with all of us praying you will get through this. I am sure you are not the only one dealing with dogs attaching their animals. We are all thinking of you all. Tony you are always help us let us help you now.
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
: Everyone pray for Tony, Topcat and his family

TAKE CARE AND KNOW WE ARE WITH YOU,

YOUR FRIENDS,

MELISSA AND FAMILY

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry this has happened to you again I hope Top Cat will recover

Glad you got 1 dog wish you had gotten all 3 :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

I do love dogs although I don't have any

But we need to protect our innocent little horses, if the owners were worried about their dogs being killed they would not let them run loose to cause heartbreak for others, and if they are strays they may eventually attack children out playing. To put it in a prospective for non horse lovers.

They think nothing of kiling our animals so we should all return the favor.

Sorry to be so blunt but they are my feelings

Again so sorry prayers for you, your family and your horses

Lori

Wow,I am so sorry.Hope your little stallion comes thru this Ok.Pits have gotten into the wrong hands and in turn we the innocent have to suffer time and time again.These dogs need to be banned,owned only by the people who know the breed and knows how to deal with them.Good luck with your boy,I am praying for him!!!!!

Tony, So sorry to hear of this horrible experience. We do understand that you have tried so hard to protect those little guys and no one can blame you for not trying. I can sure understand you posting because it does help to release such frustration to others. It really is sad that there are so many irresponsible pet owners and we have to work so hard to protect what is ours. We have had stray dogs come in to chase the minis but redone a lot of fence that seems to be helping...we also have a county wide leash law so it helps keep the number of dogs from running loose....I call animal control real fast if I see any strays. Hope the little guy recovers real fast and do so understand how you can be so discouraged at this time. Mary

Thanks so much to everyone for your sentiments. Didn't post for sympathy, but more for therapy, I guess. For anyone that feels I am irresponsible, let me share a little more:

1. We have three full sized donkeys in various pastures and three miniature donkeys.

2. We have eight llamas, one of which saved Too Incredible several years ago when he was attacked by three dogs.

3. We have two mules.

4. We have five Great Pyrenees/Anatolian dogs.

5. We got an estimate for adding mesh to ONE SIDE of our property. The best estimate was over $37,000 and that wasn't even new fence, just overlaying what is already there.

It is not practical to try to put 260 head of miniatures in a smaller fenced area. Probably the smartest move would be just to give up and sell out... Believe me that thought went through my head speeding down I-35. There are 1500 houses going in on one side of us and forty-six on the other side.

Hi Tony, first I want to say I am so sorry for all that you have gone through and you have my prayers that your horse will be ok. I know you are doing all that you can to get through this and kudos to you for the way you have handled it all.

On a second note I just wanted to add something. If you seriously do want to put new fence up and try to help deter the dogs I just have to say that the quotes you have gotten are wayyyyyyyyyyy to high

5. We got an estimate for adding mesh to ONE SIDE of our property. The best estimate was over $37,000 and that wasn't even new fence, just overlaying what is already there.
My dad has been fencing for over thirty years and I have been helping him for over ten. Now, depending on the shape of your property (you have 200 acres right?) that is roughly 2 miles or 10,560 feet total. Divide that by four and you have 2,640 feet. Last year we built alot of fence for some people down in Nevada. Not dog proof, but more as a deterrant per se. It is 5 1/2 foot tall no climb horse wire, ten foot centers pipe fence with pipe top. That fence, installed, material included ran about 6 dollars per foot so that means we could do the WHOLE property for about 63,360 dollars, or one side for 15,840 brand new fence like this. Also keep in mind we really are not the cheapest fencers out there, so if this is something you'd like to do it is feasible, just keep looking and getting quotes.

closeupwire.jpg

Now I'm not saying to fence your property, or that it would solve your problems, but I'd just hate to see you decide to do it and have someone charge you that much. Once again I hope things start getting better for you in the near future. (((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

Tony, I am so sorry for what you are going through. I hope you are able to find the other dog involved so it doesn't return. Will keep you and your poor stallion in my thoughts and prayers.

Robin

Oh gosh Tony! Not again?

I am so glad that someone stopped to help you, that is rare these days to find people who will get involved like that. It sounds like your Top Cat is going to be okay.

It appears the dog situation is going to be never ending, perhaps a suggestion in an earlier post to relocate would work? Further out in the country, it does not look like you will get much support or have had much support from anyone on fighting these dogs!

You should get a "handsome price" for your property from one of "those developers".

Best of luck to you and I hope this stops for you and soon!

Beth

Let me say that I am not in any way saying Tony is irresponsible. I'm not the Judge. I know I'm not superior in any way..............It's not my place to judge. He is well-known & well-respected.

However, back to the "fence" thing.

We have two variables here: the dogs and the fence.

Dogs: We will never be able to control other peoples' dogs. You can shoot 'em. You can do whatever to get rid of them, but they will still come. more of them, always. there will always be irresponsible dog owners; and the horse owner and the police as well can't control the dog owners' actions. They will continue to let their dogs run. This factor cannot be affected by our actions.

Fence: We can build as secure a fence as possible. It costs big money. It takes big time. But it is a controllable factor. Expensive, yes, but we do have it within our own hands to do something, with such a grudge against those bad dog owners, but we can at least control the fencing. It's not fair to have to take such an action to guard against some anonymous person's stupid actions, but this is the way it is. We can hate it & resent it, but it this factor can be affected by our actions.

So, here it is: Control the dogs from coming? Won't happen. These owners are inhumane to their own animals by letting them run. They really don't care about ours, obviously. There's not a law or any justice that controls them.

Control the fencing? Seriously, it can be done. At great expense, but it's something within our own control. It's almost impossible to change someone's MIND once they are set on something. It's hard enough changing one's OWN behavior, but someone elses? (the bad dog owners) - Almost impossible.

If there are two factors in a problem, we can only control that over which we have control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony, I am so sorry to hear this has happened again. I hope your little fellow makes a complete recovery. Thank god it wasnt alot worst and there were people there to catch the dog. Corinne

Oh no...not again!!!!!! So sorry to hear of this, why don't dog owners look after their own? Heavier fines for loose dogs, perhaps that would help? What can a person do?

I am so glad that someone stopped to help you, that is rare these days to find people who will get involved like that.
As for this...yes, it is amazing that someone went out there and grabbed that dog. As much as I love my horses, I couldn't make myself do that...I would take a gun and shoot it, no problem, but would be just too scared to grab a blood-crazy dog, (especially a Pit) when it was in full-frenzy. Whoever did such a thing, surely deserves all of my respect.

Control the fencing? Seriously, it can be done. At great expense, but it's something within our own control.
To be honest Little Wee...I only have ten acres, but if I had to put-up six/seven foot high, dog-proof fencing all around, I would have to get rid of the horses. Some things, such as afforability, are beyond my control. I Thank God every time I read one of these posts, that I am in an area where folks are responsible dog owners, and we don't have strays running.

Again just thinking out load, and wondered Tony if this was possible.

Reward for capturing this white Pit Pull in your area?

At least other people will be keeping watch over your herd.

Fencing could be the answer but I do believe Tony has acres and acres, and if they are wanting in they will.

We have had coyotes deliberately let loose to kill the deer population here.
default_wacko.png
:

Have already had a boy attack... What are we thinking :no:

Tony, I am so sorry to hear about Top Cat. It was indeed nice for the people to stop and inform you of what was going on.

Sounds like you had a very bad day with everything going wrong.

I pray that this is the last of your problems with all them dogs.

Keep us updated on Top Cat.

Joyce

The day was bad! However, ( don't you hate positive people?) had it not been daylight and had that lady decided not to stop, or hadn't seen the incident, it could have been worse. As for loosing your guy out of the trailer, luck was on your side that people had him in hand and he wasn't wandering lost. You must have been a total wreck. I pray I never have to handle a dog attack! :aktion033: For thinking quick!

Tony, I am very sorry. No animal deserves get attacked from other peoples dogs on the own property.

I am sure Tonys horses don't go to other peoples back yard.

This week a farmer here got attacked a calve, I got killed 2 alpacas from neighbors 3 lovely labrador and whatsoever mixes. Both pasture are fenced. All animals are brutally killed. Whats next a child?

These dogs are outsmarted they are hungry, thirsty. They do everything to find food. Here are many packs from Rottweiler to every kind of mixes running around free.

We had the police out, neighbor as a witness, went to the dog owner and these dogs came out to greet us.

No fence, gate, kennel nothing, animals underfed, ate on the street their own poop. Anyhow, I had my camera with me and took pictures from the dogs and behavier. Don't forget we have 25F and their dogs are on the street day and night. The Lady called me and her answer was a big mouth. Please don't tell me she needs life assistence.

So far my loss is $ 60 000 without the baby from the pregnant female who was brutally killed from neighbors lovely pets. I went to Hopkins County judge, filed a lawsuit, involved a well kown Dallas lawyer. All told me NO strange dog is allowed to enter other poeples property, fenced or not and kill, period!

We have 5 Staffordshire Bullterrier, you would call them Pitbull, they would never ever enter others property and kill.

Anita

No one should have to go through this - especially more than once!

We have 8 dogs plus there is always 1, 2, 3 or more "fosters" that are with us at any one time. Our yard is not fenced. That means we are responsible for watching over their every move and for ensuring they don't bother any of our horses or wander off our property.

We know when we have a dog with us that is potentially a danger to the horses or another dog. And that dog is handled accordingly so ensure he/she doesn't get into trouble.

We also act very quickly when we see a stray dog on our property. We don't wait for it to get close or to see if it's friendly. As soon as my husband sees it, he gets the gun and fires a warning shot into the ground. If the dog doesn't take off, he gets another warning. We've NEVER had one that wouldn't leave after hearing the gunshots. Now, I realize that if you're in a more suburban setting that you can't do that, but then you probably have more ordinances/laws to protect you from wandering animals.

I LOVE dogs! But I'm not going to put myself or any of my animals at risk of being harmed by a stray.

Dear Tony,

I am so sorry the dogs have attacked your horses again. I know you have done everything possible and

continue to try to keep your horses safe. I meet you years ago at the Eastern Regional show and we

had a nice chat about your horses. I have always admired you and appreiciated the advice you give all us here on the forum. It breaks my heart to heard what an awlful day you had and that you would even

think of selling out. I know the stress of this is very hard on you and your family.

I also wonder that next time instead of one of the horses the dogs could attack a small child or even an adult. We used to live in a subdivision and had our horses on three acres between two streets. I was attacked by dogs one morning and it scared me badly. I had never seen the dogs before and they were not interested in the horses. They came after me. The only thing I had was a broom that sitting by the gate and my screaming my lungs out. I didn't get hurt but it sure scared me. The only reason I mention this is that dogs can attack at any time whether you are in subdivison or in the country. We just have to try to take as many measures as possible and educated people to not let their dogs run free. I love all animals but

we cannot put up with dogs attacking other livestock or even people.

I hope your stallion will heal and be ok. I will pray for your family and your farm. I will also pray for a solution to the dog attacks.

Freida

Silver Ridge Minis

Latest posts

Back