Uh Oh.... Not Again Pit Bull attack

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Reaction score
Saturday afternoon, after we got home and unloaded the horses from the show, my jeans were so muddy that I had taken them off and Carol had started the washer, when a lady came rushing up our drive and reported that two dogs had a horse down in the south pasture! I ran upstairs to get some pants and called Michael, our helper who was at the barn and always has a gun with him. He had just gotten a new cell phone and apparently I had entered it wrong in my phone, so I rushed out, jumped in the pickup and started honking and speeding toward to barn. He came running out and I told him what had happened and we both sped toward the pasture with Lauren in the PU with me. When we got there there were three cars stopped by the road and thankfully they had stopped the attack and had actually caught one of the dogs and were holding it there. While I checked with them Lauren crawled through the fence to check on the one stallion standing down in the draw where Bingo and Sterling Fantastic had been killed in February. She yelled for me to go get the trailer and to call the vet. The people who had caught the dog were holding it with a strap and I took it from him, saying that I would take it to the house and put in a trailer, but after a second thought, and at their urging, took it to the fence, and as I did so it was trembling and pulling trying to get at the stallion again. I had Mike come over and shoot it, as we had been told to do by animal control and the sheriff on numerous ocassions. I called the vet, animal control (who of course don't work on Saturday) and rushed back to the house to get the trailer. Because of the wet, I almost didn't get the trailer out, but as I did a sheriff's deputy showed up and I told him to follow me.

Mike and Lauren had led Top Cat, the injured stallion, to the gate at the corner of the pasture, about 150 yards. We hurriedly loaded him in the trailer and leaving Lauren and Mike to deal with the sherrif and to try to find the white pit bull that got away while I ran thirty miles to get the horse to the waiting vet who had treated many of the horses the previous attacks.

topcatDSC_3843.jpg

Luckily the flooded roads had cleared since the rain had stopped about two hours before. When I was about six miles away my phone rang and Mike was on the phone, saying, "You lost your load. Go back to Windy Hill Road." Oh, no. Can things get worse? Now let me explain. My miniature trailer has two doors. Any time I take a horse out of it, I fasten the door shut before I walk off. A couple of weeks ago I had loaned the trailer to a customer and they had failed to fasten the door. In my hurry and stress to load the horse and get to the vet, I unfastened the other door, loaded him, fastened the door, but did not notice that the other door was not fastened correctly. Luckily the first four miles to the interstate have a very strict 40 mph limit and the road was wet, so I wasn't going too fast, but about 3 3/1 miles down the road, the door had swung open and the horse had jumped/fallen out? Please no flames.... I have beat myself up enough for this idiotic act.

When I got back there was a car and a police car there holding Top Cat. Luckily, I had left his lead on his halter, so they were just holding him. I quickly pulled over and ran to get him breathlessly telling the policeman, who had actually helped on the investigation of other attacks what had happened. He and the person who was following me thougth that all the damage to the horse had happened because of his falling out of the trailer and wanted to hold me to "talk" before leaving for the vet, but when I opened the door to the trailer and he saw all the blood, he said, "Oh, okay." I started to drive off, and realized that I hadn't thanked the man, so stopped, jumped out, ran back to his car and thanked him and apologized for my current state of mind!

We did a u-turn and high tailed it to the vet south of San Marcos, passing through an area that only hours ago had been hit by a tornado. When I reached the vet hospital he wasn't there, but luckily lives next door, but I was holding the horse out by the clinic so called getting the answering service again, as I had the first time. The "service" started wanting me to give phone numbers, details, all AGAIN. I said, "Look, I am in Dr. Williams front yard. Just tell him I am here," and hung up! When the vet, whose daughter was just starting a sixteenth birthday party at their house came out, I apologized and told him if he gets a complaint from his service, to make my apologies.

He rinsed him off since he was coated in mud from being attacked in a very muddy area of the pasture, before taking him inside. the underside of one of his jaws was extremely damaged, so much so that there was no stitching that could be done. It was actually open into his mouth and there may be some nerve damage because his lower lip was a little too relaxed. His ear on the same side was almost torn off, with two big holes near the base. Dr. Williams said that it probably won't stand up again because the dogs got quite a bit of the cartilage. He also had a couple of small tears on his back legs, but that was about it. Thank goodness for the stanger who stopped and that it was during the day, because if either had not been the case, we would have found him dead, without doubt!

The vet trimmed the jagged edges of the skin, but decided that although he was bleeding a lot that he probably did not need an IV because his color was good and he didn't seem too "shocky". He treated all the damaged areas and gave shots and said that I could leave him there or could take him home and treat him, but that we would need to cut away any dying tissue daily and bring him back mid week. Since an ice storm was predicted for the next three days, I decided that it would be better for him to stay at the vets, where he would actually be kept in a kennel inside the office rather than in my cold barns, so left him there. I helped clean up some of the mess that we had made, thanked Mark, and started home.

When I approached our place, there were two police cars with their lights flashing and about five cars near our front gate, about three hundred yards from where the one had been when I left two hours ago for the vet! Some drunk had slid off the road and drove in the bar ditch, barely missing our pillars at the entrance, driving between our mailbox and the fence and finally getting stuck about forty yards further down. I pulled just off the road into our entrance and stopped to see what was going on. As I started approaching, the deputy who had found my "load" turned around and drove off and the wrecker pulled the pickup out of the ditch, and I decided to forget it and go on home, when....

MY PICKUP WOULDN"T START! The end of my little trailer was about three feet off the highway, and I can't get it started, eleven hundred feet from the house!!!
default_wacko.png
: :no:

To make a way too long story a little less long (shorter is an inappropriate choice of words), I called Carol to bring jumper cables and her car down. Then Mike who was on his way home tried. We finally had to get our other pickup and tow the little pickup and trailer up the hill to the house, where it is still sitting outside my office where I can be reminded of the "day from heck" which started with a great show in San Marcos... another post.

default_sad.png
Oh my God Tony, what a horrible, horrible day for you, your family and your poor horse. You were absolutely right to shoot the dog, I hope the other one gets found before it attacks another horse or something else. I hope your poor boy recovers, please let us know how he is doing. Sending hugs to you all.

Yvonne
default_wub.png
:

Wow tony I dont even know what to say to all of that. Thankfully someone was driving by and got involved at just the right time and you were home!

I actually know someone else who lost a horse out of a trailer that way and didnt even know it till they got home a hour or so later and NO HORSE in the back. they did find the horse and it was fine.

Anyway I am glad it seems like he will be ok how very scary. Iknow you have a HUGE property but maybe fencing the whole thing with dog proof fencing is the only way to stop these attacks from happening.

What a horrible day - hoping the horse recovers significantly from his wounds.

Did you find the other dog(s)?

JJay

omg tony i cant take this in!!!! you are having TOO MUCH bad things happen, i really hoped that the last attack WAS the last attack!, i am SICK to the stomach or irresponsible dog owners :no:

my step daughter was driving along the street last week when a pit bull was grabbing a young boy, she jumped out of the car and kicked the dog off him and threw him into the back of her car where her young son was sleeping in his car seat, and THE DOG jumped into the back of the car ofter him :eek: it ended up biting my stepdaughter in the eyebrow and cheek!

i feel that these dogs should be made extinct! flame away
default_rolleyes.gif
:

we are having really big problems with these dogs over here at the minuite, you can buy them anywhere just advertised different, and theyve been banned for years

once is too much in my opinion

Tony i dont know how your coping with the stress of this more than once......stay strong!

What a day you had. Hope the stallion will recover decently from his wounds. Dang dogs! or rather dang irresponsible owners.

What a terrible day. I can understand forgetting to check everything in the rush and panic. I know there are people on here who defend pit bulls, but in our area, NO ONE except DRUG DEALERS have such animals and they are purely a nusiance. If the owners can be found, they should be prosecuted to the FULLEST EXTENT.

Tony,

I am so sorry to hear about your BAD day. :no: I am praying for TOPCAT. I hope you all found the other dog. Tony bless your heart( you need someone to help you get those bad dogs). We hope Topcat recovers well. If you need anything let us know. Where those someone Pit dogs?Where we live you can't no longer have a Pit dog. Thank the lord you have someone come by to help the horse out. Thank God you all got the dog before he got another horse or person.

Keep us posted.

Melissa
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
: PRAYERS COMING YOUR WAY.

YOUR WEEK IS GOING TO BE BETTER.

Last edited by a moderator:
:new_shocked: OMG! How scary! I am glad the people alerted you when they did and caught the dog! I sure hope the stallion will be OK! Did you not have any guardian dogs down in that pasture? I was hoping they would help solve your dog problems.

I can only imagine the stress you were under. I hope your horse recovers fully. Everytime I read of a dog attack, I feel so bad for the poor horse and the tremondous fear it must have gone through. My heart just aches for any horse who has to endure this. I am so glad that you got one of these dogs and I hope you get the other. Take care.

As if you have not been through enough this past year with dog attacks! I would of shot the dog also. I hope your stallion recovers (emotionally and physically). We hope you find the owner of these dogs and are able to sue the pants off of them for damages and vet bills. We are sorry...We were hoping 2007 would be a good year for you and yours...Theresa & Art

Oh Tony
default_pray.gif
: coming your way for family and the injured Horse.

I wish we could put our heads together and HELP you.

What about hiring a student to watch over your herd?

Or is there any k9 that has been trained to protect animals?

Hope someone else can come up with a good Ideal to help, this just cannot keep happening, enough, is enough. :new_shocked:

OMG! What a horrible day! I'm happy that Top Cat has survived and wish a full and quick recovery for him, Tony. I'm so sorry!

The ONLY good thing in all of this is that there is one less pit bull in the world now! That whole breed and the irresponsible people that own them should all be darned to heck, as far as I'm concerned. I agree with Shane: "i feel that these dogs should be made extinct! flame away "

Tony.... I am SO sorry!! :no: Talk about the day of "what could go wrong, DID go wrong....".. :no: :no:

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way for a full recovery of Tom Cat AND your family. I sure hope that you find that other dog... you have had ENOUGH of these types of situations!

Take care...

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

Oh, Tony,

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this again. It just seems like everything that could possibly go wrong - certainly did!

Poor little Top Cat - he certainly did NOT deserve to go through all of this trauma.

Thankfully there were people there to intervene or poor Top Cat would never have survived.

I am so glad you were able to get at least one of the dogs, hopefully the other will be found and shot as well.

Hugs and prayers for you and your family and special prayers for Top Cat!

The ONLY good thing in all of this is that there is one less pit bull in the world now! That whole breed and the irresponsible people that own them should all be darned to heck, as far as I'm concerned. I

Ahhh a nice level headed response just as one would expect lately on the fourm
default_wacko.png
:

thanks for the wonderful sentiment I will let you know if I am darned to heck if I get there and surely let you know if I see anyone else that owns them.

I am sure the many children that were helped in hosptials and foster group homes by my CERTIFIED THERAPY DOG who was GASP a pit bull would perhaps have a different feeling but hey that is what makes the world an interesting place right

default_smile.png
Hello,

My neighbor has those big white dogs to help with his herd of goats. I don't know the name of the big white dogs, but he loves them they have killed wild dogs and other animals that try to hurt his herd. Does anyone know what they are called?

thanks MELISSA

Oh Tony, you have been through the RINGER. Please keep us updated about TopCat.

MA

Tony,

I am so so sorry this has started yet again.

What in incredibly horrible day and I hope you yourself were not on the verge of a heart attack having to deal with all that!

I am so glad Top Cat is going to be okay and only hope this doesn't start being a regular event all over again.
default_sad.png

Susan O.

Latest posts

Back