Uh Oh.... Not Again Pit Bull attack

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to say but fencing does NOT always work. I live in the city but there is a State park not too far from me. The coyotes come down the canals and are now actually just walking down the streets.

My neighbors back fence is 7' tall, she came out one morning to find her goose and 4 ducks dead, a couple of days later the coyotes came back and got the last 3. They went over that 7' fence without a thought.

Robin

Tony, first let me add my "sorry this happened again" to the others. Of course, you've done and are doing everything possible to try to prevent this kind of thing. One thing that crossed my mind is that if there's only one dog left, it may be less apt to attack again, since their is no "pack" to run with.

I was watching a video the other day, and was thinking of those of you who have had attacks like this. Seems some people were trying to keep bob cats off a horse ranch (somewhere). Anyway, they went to a local zoo and collected tiger/lion fecies. They took it home and spread it around the area (actually wore rubber gloves and rubbed it into fence posts, tree trunks, etc..) I dunno if you're interested in their attempt, or if you have access to the same "ingredients", but thought you might be interested.

If I can find the video again, I'll add it to this post.

Edited to add the YouTube site:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony I am so sorry that this has happened again. I am glad that Top Cat will be OK though.

As far as blaming certain breeds - any breed is capable of doing damage or killing - it is the irresponsible owners that cause these problems. One breed cannot be singled out!!!!!!!!!!

I think this thread has gone a little "off" - we should be focusing on Tony and the horses there - not on specific dog breed issues!!!!!!!!!!!1

default_sad.png
OMG!!!! I am just reading this, what an awful experience, yet again. Tony I am soo sorry for you and your family & the horses to be going through this yet again. It just doesn't make sense, if anyone has had their share of bad luck it is you. I will be praying for your horse, and that you get the remaining dog.

Tony - you poor guy! What a day - it is tragic that you have to go through something like this agan because of some irresponsible people.

As for the whole pit bull issue - I'm sorry it's a wonderful breed that has been totally ruined by disreputable people/breeders. Personally, I don't think shelters should allow them to be adopted out - yes many are made worse by humans, but they've been overbred and are much more aggressive than the breed standard calls for. 9 times out of 10 in the shelter in our area - the majority of the dogs are pits or pit mixes.

I know I would have done exactly as you did - after seeing what city people's dogs can do in a short time - we've fortunately only lost poultry to them - I wouldn't hesitate in shooting first. 1400 house next to you - yikes! That would make me nervous as I'd be thinking - hmm 1400 potential new dogs!

No fencing is foolproof either - so anyone that believes it is, is extremely naive - fencing is a deterrent at best to a determined predator. We have coyotes, bob cats and I've heard but never seen mountain lions & bears. I just try to make our place an unattractive place for any of them to stop by! That is about the best you can do without armed guards 24/7. The best fencing I saw at one place - 6 foot cyclone with razor wire on top - it looked like a prison but was very effective in keeping things out! Ugly as sin, but it worked!

Sorry for the rambling - hope your stallion will be 100% and back with you soon.

And lets pray no more dogs anywhere near your property for the next 20-30 years!

Latest posts

Back