Udder pics - my progressing-too-quickly mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaunaL

Reaction score
My mare Whitney had been on Regumate, SMZs, banamine last month due to early bag development. It stopped, regressed so we went back to just Regumate. The past few days she's started up again.

She is at 229 days today and on the meds listed above as of yesterday. I don't think we are going to hold her off, as quickly as she is progressing now
default_sad.png
Anyway, I learn so much from this forum and I hope this abnormal pregnancy can be helpful to someone somehow as well.

Here are a couple pics of what she suddenly looked like last night
default_no.gif
Might not look like much but this is a mare that has only had a few foals in the past and has NO BAG most of the time, as in, you cannot even see her bag through her fuzz. I haven't tried yet to express any fluid but I will tonight. I'm still hoping for my little one from her, but at this point my main concern is holding her off long enough for the baby to hopefully be in the right position, that scares me more than anything with these late-term abortions.

Whitney_bagback_3_5_10.jpg

Whitney_bag_3_5_10.jpg

That definately doesn't look good! My mare is 240-280 days right now and she isn't even that big! I'm sending prayers your way!!!!
default_no.gif

Be sure you have her on enough Regumate. Others on this forum, with alot of experience on this, can tell you the specifics, but I think it is double or more of a normal dose of Regumate. Ask for some opinions on this- it may not be too late yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear, no that is not the bag of a 229 day gestation. I will pray that she holds. Thanks for sharing your pics. This time of year everyone is so fearful of those early bags, it's good information to have.

amanda

Thanks for the well-wishes, we could certainly use them! She is on a double dose of Regumate, SMZs and Banamine. I guess I will increase the dosage even more on the Regumate. She is beyond huge. Last year when she foaled she had a teeny tiny little colt and a massive amount of fluid. I think (and other agree) that she is already almost as large as she was when she foaled last year and she is not due until June. She is tiny (28"), the sire is a tiny Buck Echo son (29")and last year's baby was teeny tiny so for some reason she must be full of fluid again. We were concerned about shock with all the fluid we knew she would lose with foaling but other than being a red bag, the foaling was fine and she was just fine after. I'll still be watching her closely this year, in case it's harder on her this time.

She is starting to pick at her food again, being very cranky and her belly is low low low but it's wide way down low - really odd shape. Her sides are pretty normal looking, but her belly is hanging down low and wide as can be but under her
default_wacko.png
Poor thing, I feel terrible for her.... We've got to get to the middle of May for a chance at a healthy baby, we are sure trying our best to get there!

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way!! She's way to early for that size of a bag. I hope she can hang in there and give you a healthy foal!

I will say a prayer that things improve and that your mare can hold the baby.

A thought though...... try not to handle her udder(bag) much. Try NOT to squeeze milk from it to see if there is any. There is a lot of thought that trying to express milk and handling of the nipples/bag can cause contractions and labor. I know for a fact it can in humans.

Best of luck, no matter what, you have certainly tried everything to save this foal and you are to be commended.

Robin

I've been thinking about this mare a lot lately and haven't seen an update in awhile. How is she doing? Hope she's still hanging in there for you!

The good news is that you are close to Somis, if need be. Keep us posted - best wishes.

Liz R.

Ok, I have had mares foal as early as 311 and 321 days with no problems and the babies were just fine. If this mare is one of those that just foals a bit earlier than some, her bag is going to be progressing more at this time. However, your vet can give you the best advice on what they think may be going on.......... Best of luck and hope everything is ok!!!

She is hanging on! Udder progressed a bit more then stopped and went back down quite a bit. This does seem to be her normal pattern but I am hoping to change that and welcome her first surviving foal in many years
default_smile.png
She has a history of foaling a couple months early and the foals don't survive. I think our 5 day old last year was the longest survivor in quite a long time. We personally have lost both foals we tried for from her in the 4 years we've owned her, one lost at 6 months gestation, one born at 282 days. She had 3 (I think) healthy foals many years ago.

I think we are looking pretty good for her to make it to the safe zone, thank you for all the support! She gets her meds faithfully and is under 24/7 camera watch just in case she decides to pull a fast one. Unfortunately, my surgery is tomorrow and I will be in the house for about a month I think. She is in my husband's capable hands (he's a vet), with the help of some of our staff, friends and family, until I am back on my feet but I admit I am worried
default_unsure.png
Mainly hoping she waits to foal until I can assist her. She DOES NOT LIKE anyone but me to handle her but she tolerates my husband - usually
default_wacko.png
No one else is going to handle her unless she is foaling, as we don't want her to stress at all. After she foaled last year she was amazing with everyone handling her and her foal though, I think she knew we were helping them. My poor husband is under orders to get bag pics every night for me
default_biggrin.png
What a trooper. We are close to several great equine hospitals if needed. The one in Somis was amazing trying to help us save her colt last year, they went above and beyond.

We are praying for at least 300 days, which is May 15th ~ I think we just might make it this year
default_smile.png
Please keep us in your thoughts that this is our year
default_pray.gif

You AND your little mare and foal are in my thoughts for a safe delivery and an easy surgery for you.

I've had mares foal at 291, 293 and a few other 290s and with just a little support like keeping them warm they did fine.

Charlotte

Hi Shauna, It's Joyce with Cookie over here in NH! I will pray your mare holds on for you. You are sure doing everything you can for her. Nothing but the best thoughts for you and your mare.
default_wub.png

Keep us updated!

Prayers sent up for all to go well with both your mare and you.
default_pray.gif

Shauna,

So sorry you are going through this. You're doing all you can. If I may suggest, maybe contact Charlotte privately and see if she has any additional suggestions to try. I wish I did, but I don't

Keeping you, your mare and her baby in my prayers.

I hope Whitney holds out for you! She certainly holds a special place in my heart, as she is the dam to my National Champion and Reserve National Grand Champion gelding Magic. He was her first foal back in 1996. I also owned his full brother for a while as well. I remember visiting her when she was still with Susan Hopmans - a very eccentric girl, that's for sure. I'll be watching for a healthy foal annoucement real soon
default_wink.png

Back