Turnout Blankets & Sheets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace67

Reaction score
Anyone use the Stormshield line of turnout sheets and blankets from Schneiders for their minis in the winter? If you do how's the fit and are you happy with the durability?

Thanks!

Curious about this too. Their prices seem quite reasonable but if they don't perform it is just wasted money. I do know a few people that have the full size horse ones and they are very pleased with those. Say they are very durable.

In California? I think your horses would be better off in natural coats. We have more severe winters here in VA (a 29" snowfall a few years ago!), and our horses fair extremely well in natural coats w/ access to shelter. If you start the season off w/ blanketing, then you take the "loft" out of their coats, and that is what helps to keep their natural heat in. I don't think there is another breed more suited to winter than miniatures. While I have an assortment of blankets for show or if one is sick, MOST of these are honestly still in their original packaging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jill actually I'm in northern CA and we do get cold, wet winter storms that can last for a week or better with lows in the 20s and highs never getting over 40 degrees. I would like to keep a waterproof turnout around for each of my geldings in case I need to throw them on every now and then for one of those cold, wet spells. We also will be body clipping more next show season and they will need a light turnout sheet on in the very cool evenings occasionally otherwise my plan is to let them grow out and be shaggy and warm all winter. I don't plan on blanketing them day in and day out but I'd like to have a few around if needed. They do have access to three sided, matted stalls and plenty of good quality grass hay with extra during those really cold periods.

That's not harsh weather for a mini if there is access to shelter. With blanketing, I agree it is good to have some on hand in case you need one, however, if you start blanketing, the loft will leave the coat and then you will need to continue blanketing the rest of the season.

I had to blanket Maggie in Oregon. We would get a week or more of cold rain, then it would freeze. Maggie would shiver so much she would lay down because she was too cold and couldn't warm herself.

She would see me come out with her blanket and just about put it on herself. She would warm up, and no more shivering. It is the cold rain... months on end of the stuff... then you get freezing weather...

many horse's and mini's can't deal with that.

I prefer this blanket from here.. better Quality, stays on better and tough.

http://www.justforponies.com/tuffriderthermomanagerlinedblanket36-56.aspx

VA is not even close weather wise.. to the NW. It doesn't get the cold wet rains, then freezing temps, at least from what I have seen so far.

So just do what you need to do to keep your mini's happy and healthy. ;O)

I am in Va too and was wondering the same thing about blankets! I will be getting my 2 fillies on the 13th and was wondering if I should order blankets?? As for sizes Misty will be 5 months and Josie is the little dwarf she is 6 months any suggestions on sizes or which ones are better??

I have one mare here that I blanket on cold damp or windy days--when it warms up again I do remove her blanket until the next cold spell--she does not have to be kept blanketed all winter once I start.

I use the Kensington blankets but have wondered about the storm shield blankets too. I haven't out out the money to try one yet.

The regular blankets and sheets schneiders makes for minis are garbage, I have some as my "disposable" blankets for at home, they never fit quite right no matter what horse you put them on.

For turnouts, I like kensingtons. I get them at ozark when they go on sale.

Im in western pa, we get some nasty winters. I do not blanket unless my horses are clipped. I used to blanket the same as I did my big horses, all winter and changing the weight of the blanket according to the temps but I found my horses actually stayed warmer in the winter if I didnt blanket at all. The loft of their winter coat insulates very well. If you blanket, it smashes the loft, and it loses all insulating qualities, therefore creating a colder horse. That said, I also dont let my horses out in driving rain in the winter. If its hard driving rain. I put them in stalls. Light rain or snow is fine, but nothing thats going to soak them to the bone. I throw extra hay on the nights when its super cold. Since I started doing things this way, Ive never had a horse in winter coat shivering, and I used to have blanketed unclipped horses shivering...

Where I live it in not uncommon to have the months of rain. Or the 10 to 20 below zero. My trainer said she blankets at 20 degrees,

I was thinking of waiting till it was zero before putting a blanket on at night only. Cany any one tell me if they have done that at those temps. My trainer only puts hers on at night.

I find that I use rain sheets more in the spring than anything else. I hate when they get soaked from 2 weeks of straight rain with all that hair.

For whatever it's worth, I've kept horses for close to 20 years, LOTS of horse, never a snotty nose, plenty of snow, etc. I have only blanketed one elderly full size horse and if we've clipped for a show. Minis really are ideally suited for winter BUT if you choose to blanket, please be aware that you will need to keep doing so once the loft is out of their coats.

I do not mean to sound like a broken record, but I can remember when I first had horses, and when I was first responsible to care for my own horses, and I thought "more is better"... But that's not actually the case in my experience with our hooved wonders. Less is best, more natural is better -- in most, but not all, cases.

We have cold winter rains for months and the horses have free access to shelter- but I put a rain sheet on if we plan on working the horse in order to have a clean, dry horse to harness up. Long wet coats are miserable to get cleaned up. Same with a riding horse! Too much time spent cleaning up if the horse has no rain sheet. We often get 9 months of winter rain. It's a lot easier to pull the sheet off and have a clean horse to work vs. standing out in the cold rain cleaning one up. That said, if we aren't planning on working anyone, they don't get a blanket or sheet. The exception is our old guy who appreciates a warm blanket when the temps drop low at night, so if he starts to shiver, he gets his blanket.

I appreciate all the thoughts and wisdom about blanketing. I myself have owned full size horses for many years and have experience with both blanketing and not blanketing horses through many types of weather and for various purposes. My main question was about the Schneiders Stormshield line of turnout blankets and sheets and if anyone had any experience with them. If you also have suggestions on other lines of blankets and sheets that have worked (or didn't work) for your horses that would be greatly appreciated as well. I have two geldings, one 34" and the other 37" and I'd like to have a turnout blanket and sheet on hand for each of them to use if/when necessary.

Thanks!

To be honest, I would not buy their mini sized blankets--the ones I have considered are their junior sized blankets for my bigger ponies.

I haven't heard good things about the fit of the mini blankets from Schneiders and I find the catalogue photos unappealing (poor fit!)

I love my Kensington waterproof blankets--great fit and they wear well.

Thanks Minimor, best online source for Kensingtons as far as price and selection? Do they also offer a waterproof turnout sheet?

I have been very satisfied w/ the fit and quality of several sheets/blankets I got from "JUST FOR PONIES".

Winter before last, we had a night of -27 degrees, following a day w/ a HIGH temp of 0! I did blanket all but one of my minis; he had the longest, thickest coat of all and did fine. Two I shut into the barn(don't shut them in unless it is REALLY cold, but no need to 'invite' bitter cold air into my insulated barn by leaving stall doors open to runs in the COLDEST of weather, not to mention rain or snow falling!)I put 'regular' blankets on both overnight, and for several nights after, when temps were still quite cold. 'Outside' horses have a large, deep, southfacing run-in shed w/ their feeders against the back wall, for maximum protection against wind wind-driven rain/snow. My tiny mare got to wear a brand new, just-her-size, kevlar fleece-lined blanket I'd had for years, never used till then, and stayed snug and warm in it! Thank goodness, it was dry and not windy during that EXTREME cold snap, though, as wind and/or wetness would have made it MUCH worse!

Agree, use blankets ONLY when really needed-- healthy minis are especially well-suited for harsh weather conditions.

Margo

I was fortunate to get the Polar waterproof turnouts when they actually were waterproof -- I've heard that the more recent renditions are a bit leaky, but ours keep the ponies warm and dry.

We've used our blankets so little, they still smell new. We're in northwest Oregon in the hills, and while it gets down below freezing most winter nights, I only blanket when it's rainy, windy AND extremely cold -- this is rather rare, but when it occurs, I'm so glad to have the blankets. Make certain your blankets are also breathable; I don't like blanketing a wet horse, but on occasion it's difficult to avoid, and a breathable blanket is a lifesaver in this case.

I think many people blanket for their own comfort rather than the horse's, but as long as the horse doesn't overheat, there's really nothing wrong with this. If it helps you sleep better, it's a valid reason.

We have them for our riding horses and they have been great. We get down into the -20F here in the winter and the horses seem cozy and warm. I especially love them though in the late fall/early spring when it is wet AND cold. Bottom line is they are great blankets IMO.

Latest posts

Back