Trusting others, it was the right person

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hang in there - only a couple of hours or so to go - they are almost home!

Sending prayers for them and hugs for you.

Anna

They have arrived. I am more than happy to have them here. I will say that some need some TLC and me, and hopefully up to par in a few days.

I like to have an outside fence, just in case they find a way out, and that fence is not completed yet, so makes me some nervous, but I spent 2 hours securing up the section they are in, so I think it will be ok. I guess we will see if they found the section I missed.

Thank you all again for thinking of us, and remember, have a back up to check on your back up!
default_smile.png

Carolyn, I'm SO glad you have your babies there with you!

I hope none of them are in serious condition and they'll all be ok!

I am so glad to hear your horses arrived safely, and hopefully they will be 100% shortly.

I am always nervous when I leave my horses in the care of others. One year I hired the daughter of the farmer I get my hay from. You figure a farmers daughter would be careful. (she was 20) The first night I was away, she left 4 gates open and Windchaser and his mares got out into the road. At that time the road was a dirt road, so people did not drive fast on it. Well, down the road there was a party that night of teenage boys.

I got a call at 5:00 in the morning. It was the farmer. The police had called looking for me because there where several horses down in the road. One was a 10 day old buckskin filly that I was so excited to be born, two others where some of my top mares, one being one of only two daughters of Eclectic Destiny, Johnathan Witts top winning Gelding who is a multiple AMHA World Champion as a stallion and as a gelding. He sired only 3 foals before his sperm count was zero, and he was gelded. There was also one of my daughters mares.

They were really not in the road, but off the sides of the road in different areas. The police felt that the teen boys from the party decided to have a, lets see how many horses we can kill, party and ran them down. No one reported hitting any horses. There must have been car damage, and I would have been responsible to any car or human damage.

The farmers daughter said that my horses must have open the gates themselves.
default_new_shocked.gif
They have never done it before and have not down it since, and that was several years ago.

Needless to say, I never hired her again. My vet bill alone was over $10,000 and we could not save any.

So each time I leave my heart is always in my throat till I get home.

I have a wonderful girl who does the care now when I go. She is my farrier and very responsible at 20 years old. Still....I worry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so glad to hear your horses arrived safely, and hopefully they will be 100% shortly.

I am always nervous when I leave my horses in the care of others. One year I hired the daughter of the farmer I get my hay from. You figure a farmers daughter would be careful. (she was 20) The first night I was away, she left 4 gates open and Windchaser and his mares got out into the road. At that time the road was a dirt road, so people did not drive fast on it. Well, down the road there was a party that night of teenage boys.

I got a call at 5:00 in the morning. It was the farmer. The police had called looking for me because there where several horses down in the road. One was a 10 day old buckskin filly that I was so excited to be born, two others where some of my top mares, one being one of only two daughters of Eclectic Destiny, Johnathan Witts top winning Gelding who is a multiple AMHA World Champion as a stallion and as a gelding. He sired only 3 foals before his sperm count was zero, and he was gelded. There was also one of my daughters mares.

They were really not in the road, but off the sides of the road in different areas. The police felt that the teen boys from the party decided to have a, lets see how many horses we can kill, party and ran them down. No one reported hitting any horses. There must have been car damage, and I would have been responsible to any car or human damage.

The farmers daughter said that my horses must have open the gates themselves.
default_new_shocked.gif
They have never done it before and have not down it since, and that was several years ago.

Needless to say, I never hired her again. My vet bill alone was over $10,000 and we could not save any.

So each time I leave my heart is always in my throat till I get home.

I have a wonderful girl who does the care now when I go. She is my farrier and very responsible at 20 years old. Still....I worry.
Oh gosh what a sickening story
default_sad.png
My worst nightmare...

I am so sorry to hear that! I always have three or four people checking in on them now. I made that mistake once with someone I trusted and there of course was no water.. dirty stalls..missed meals. Not sure why anyone who loves animals would not be more careful. I do barn sit for a friend and am proud to say I am the only one who does it...he tried another girl and they never even brought the horses in the whole time! I hope you guys get home and are under your care soon..

So glad to hear they're home safe and sound! You have been through so much the past year....you certainly didn't need this!! I always worry about my babies when others are caring for them....I usually end up calling at least once a day and seeing how everyone is. Even then I've come home and found empty water troughs and that just ticks me off!! Especially when I use "horse" people.

Glad that they all arrived. I am sure with your love and care they will be back in shape soon. Thanks for the advise.

Glad they're home where you can give them the TLC they need!!!!

Barbie

Carolyn, bumping this up because I've been wondering how your horses are since the move. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to hear how they're settling into their new home.

Latest posts

Back