Trotting Pole Spacing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seahorse

Reaction score
How far apart should a place trotting poles for a relatively long legged approximately 27" mini?

Thanks!

i want to say i space mine about 15" give or take depending on the stride of the mini. I would measure them for you but they are all under the snow! lol

I would like to add something, at all the shows I have been too, they dont adjust them for the size of the horses. So 34 and under all do the trotting poles at the same distance apart.

I sent Kody over one pole over and over and paid attention to where his feet landed. Then I added a second pole at my best guess and adjusted as necessary depending on what I saw when he tried it for me. Once they are used to working at a length that is comfortable for them you can move the poles closer together or further apart and the horse will learn to modify their stride to match. That's what makes cavaletti such a gymnastic exercise.
default_smile.png

Leia

I think I'll try adding one pole at a time. I tried spacing them all several times by guessing, but it was not working well at all. Poor Country was getting discouraged. I got the right spacing for the walk (I think?) because he does not hit any poles. Tomorrow I'll try doing the trotting poles again.
default_yes.gif

It all depends on why you want to put him over trotting poles. If you want an exercise to lift and round his back and tuck his tummy you want them to be the exact right distance for him to clear them easily at a good strong trot. If you are training a horse for obstacle and you want him to learn to be careful with his feet and watch where he is stepping you want to space them long or short or staggered. For a 27" Mini you are looking at approximately 12" apart for proper spacing but that will all depend on his length of stride and you may need to give or take a few inches.

Latest posts

Back