Tropical Storm Fay...We Took A Direct Hit

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2Minis

Reaction score
We took a direct hit from Tropical Storm Fay early this morning. She made landfall at 5 am and what fun that was!! Nothing compared to the direct hit we took from Cat. 3 Hurricane Wilma back in 2005. But Fay was bad enough with 65 mph winds and 8 inches of rain!! My little mini barn is about a foot under water. I had to move all my Minis to higher spots on my property that are not flooded. I am just glad we are all OK!!
default_aktion033.gif

Mini Barn and Paddock

000_0215.jpg

000_0219.jpg

000_0216.jpg

Flooded Spots and the overflowing Canal

000_0214.jpg

000_0229.jpg

"The Swimming Donkeys, LOL"

000_0220.jpg

Has anybody else had bad weather from "Frisky Fay", LOL ??

We have barely had a drop of rain here in Brooksville. But it looks like we should get a lot of rain by this evening. Yes, nothing like back in 2004! Thank God for that.

Glad you are all OK.......just a little wet.
default_smile.png

Carol

Wow - that is a lot of rain! Glad everyone is okay!

Liz R.

What a mess!

Glad everybody is fine.

Praying for alot of sunny days ahead for you!

That looks like a mess. I know from last Winter what those storm systems are like, and I'm glad it wasn't worse for you. The water will go away, you can clean up the mess and hopefully it will be a long time (or never) before it happens again.

Liz

OUCH!! That is a LOT of water. We're still getting slammed here. I'm surprised that we're getting the big gusts STILL that we're getting right now. No flooding here. We're up on the ridge so we never do. Our pond is very full though. I take that back, Our lanai is flooded.

We did tarp our barn. Its an "open air" barn and when we have heavy winds and rain my stalls flood and my poor horses get soaked. When hubby built the barn he didn't extend the eaves out far enough. We're going to run the boards higher eventually. Two of our mares really flipped out over the tarps. Tonight I had to kick them out one by one to clean stalls and they were so funny. When I got out there they were all "Let me out!! Let me out!!!". Immediately upon being turned out each one was back at the gate "Let me in!!! Let me in!!". The two mares are completely AOK with those tarps now. As soon as they found out what was REALLY going on outside no one wanted any part of it!!!

My crew is funny. The do NOT like to get wet!!

Hope you get dried out soon!!! Hope this thing gets past us soon!!

Sad to say, your place looks better than where I board my horses right now. There's a creek that runs around 3 sides of the ten acres and a pond in the middle. The creek flooded into the barn. We've got 9 inches so far and it's not done. I teach at a school and school is canceled tomorrow, so that's a good thing, especially since my little Saturn probably wouldn't be able to make it there without drowning. It's slightly northeast of us right now trying to decide whether it wants to leave or not
default_no.gif
but it is coming back on Thurs or Fri farther north
default_no.gif
. This storm in Florida didn't want to leave any Florida resident out.
default_rolleyes.gif

Amanda

Well as of now this entire area has not gotten much rain at all. More or less a sprinkle or two. Guess we lucked out. It is a bit windier than normal but hard to tell as I am so close to the Gulf we always seem to get nice breezes.

Glad everyone and all of the fur and hoof children are doing okay! I agree with minie812, maybe you should build yourself an ark!
default_new_shocked.gif
My favorite aunt lives in Palm Beach and she's hiding out in the bathroom with her little Bichon Frise.
default_sad.png

We had a lightening storm the other night rather late, but I don't believe we had thunder. Maybe heat related. But glad everyone's okay!

Here in Port St Lucie, its the worst flooding in memory. We are in a closed community and can't get out. Several cars are sitting in the ponds and cars are abandoned everywhere. Check out this website---wptv.com---. Lots of pictures and info. Thought we saw an ark full of animals floating down the street
default_biggrin.png

Gosh you poor thing...you really did get wet!!! Came down real hard from about 4 am to 6 am for us in Ft. Myers. We have an open air barn as well and really blew alot of rain into the stalls. Dummy me went and put about 3 bags of new shavings in each stall the night before......I wanted my guys to be nice and cozy!!! Only yesterday it took about 3 hrs to strip and clean all wet soggy shavings out and replace!! Not something I wanted to do. Luckily none of my pastures are bad just a few little puddles here and there!! And the best part is no falling branches and fences to fix!! Im glad to hear no one here had any major barn damage. Heidi

P.S. New2Minis.....where are you located?? If you need a place for any one while your area dries out you are more than welcome to send any horse over here...we have plenty of room and they wont need to bring their water wings!!

Thanks everybody for your nice comments! I am also sooooo glad it was not worse.

Thanks for the offer LittleRibbie but we are all dry today so all is well. BUT I may take you up on that in the future but hopefully I wont need to!! All the storms can stay away from here and it would not hurt my feelings at all, LOL!

BTW...I am in Naples.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dread what the next few days hold.
default_unsure.png
I am glad your all ok. We are in North FL and in the middle of the Red cone. ITs just starting with rain and wind, they say the eye will hit thurs pm/fri am. Stay safe and as dry as possible.

Hello from Daytona area

We had the eye sitting off our coast for a long time and still is not moving, 2miles an hour. We had plenty of rain but my colts are high and dry. I just did not want to move them away from home so since we had to build new stalls we just invested in tons of dirt and mats. I told my husband we would get our money back in the long run when me don't have to buy extra bedding.

We had a weather alert to be on the look out for snakes and other wild creatures looking for dry space and that got me worried as we are only a 1/2 mile from the preserve.

The rain is still coming down hard and I just want it to leave because we in Florida had enough. FLFlyingW

[SIZE=12pt]Has anyone heard how the Citrus County - Crystal River/Homosassa area is??[/SIZE]

Thanks,

Joy

Latest posts

Back