Triple Crown Senior VS Nutrena Senior

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
I am moving to Virginia this Friday so I am excited yet nervous about my feeding options......no one within a decent drive from me has any carriers of Nutrena Senior and I am planning on changing both my boys (one hard keeper and one 19 yo) to the TCS but I am wondering how you guys like it?

The NS is 14% protein 6% fat and 16% fiber while the TCS is 14% protein 10% fat and 17% fiber..... the TCS is $22.45 per bag in VA and the NS is $20.99 here where I live so not much difference.

So give me your opinions on these feeds please! Has anyone had colic issues from TCS?

I fed TCS for years, no experience with the other brand you listed. Overall, I was pleased using TCS for a variety of horses and needs.

However, in my experience I had to feed quite a bit to cover nutritional needs and to keep their weight proper. I felt completely safe feeding it as a 'grain' when introducing a filly I had that was recovering from severe colic surgery.

Now, for harder keepers I feed a sweet feed with lots of added beet pulp and alfalfa pellets and an alfalfa/orchard hay. Supplements when needed / depending on needs.

I've only fed limited Triple Crown feeds, as I have to special order them, but I'd feed Triple Crown hands down before any Nutrena feed. Triple Crown makes very good feed. Since the TCS has a higher fat level, you might be able to feed a little bit less of it than you have been of the Nutrena senior. The Triple Crown is also going to have a lower sugar/starch level than the Nutrena, which for most horses is a good thing.

Triple Crown makes premium products, I wouldn't hesitate to use any of them.

I've been feeding Triple Crown products for several years now and I always highly recommend the feed for it's consistency, quality and how my horses do on it. I don't have any experience with Nutrena products.

Just a reminder, with Sr horses you often have to feed more of their sr feeds as they begin having issues with the consumption of grass and hay. Having 11 who are in mid 20's to early 30's I can assure you they do just fine with these feeds without extra forages. You just have to constantly "feel" thru the hair for their weight. These feeds are made with a lot of BP to substitute for the lack of eating forages.....with higher quantities used. I've used these for the one or two hard-keepers I've had with good results.

TSC is an excellant product.

Where are you moving in VA? I'm just outside of Suffolk......10 miles from NC & 40 miles from I-95.

I like the Triple Crown Complete better than the Sr. Does great at keeping the weight on and you don't feed as much as the Sr. I am a Triple Crown Feed Fan
default_smile.png

Bess- I am going to be living in Chesapeake....you sound like you're going to be near me?

What is the Triple Crown Complete?

Bess- I am going to be living in Chesapeake....you sound like you're going to be near me?

What is the Triple Crown Complete?

The triple crown senior is hands down the BEST senior feed on the market, and ive tried them all. Was able to cut my feed back to 1/3 of what I was feeding of another feed, and the horses actually look better. Its low starch (right around 11%) which seems hard to find in senior feeds anymore, and since feeding it, I no longer need any coat supplements. I was very happy that I made the switch. I have a friend who owns a 23 year old mare that they were going to put down before winter because shes a hard keeper and they couldnt get extra weight on her for winter. As a last ditch effort, they switched her to triple crown, and shes gained quite a bit of weight. Shes always been on good senior feeds, but the triple crown has worked better than any.

Its a pelleted feed, with some beet pulp mixed in. You can soak it or not, and its a "greasy" pellet (from the rice bran oil in it). Their customer service is top notch, they really care about the product they produce and the people they sell it to.

I cant say one bad thing about them, and Im a bit of a feed nut.

Yes, 25 - 40 miles depending on area of Chesapeake. Hey, have we lots of feed stores around, just have to get another animal person to give you locations in your area -- some are not so obvious, LOL -- and many brands. In general, this is a good area with mostly non extreme weather, so you should feel pretty much at home quickly. Welcome to VA !!

Latest posts

Back