First born filly is home!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight star stables

Reaction score
Joe and I made it home after 18 hours on the road yesterday. Cat and her filly are settling in nicely.

Some of you know, I sent my mare LTD's Lil Copycat out to be bred in April 2009 and we had a lot of troubles. She finally got in foal and she stayed out to be foaled out by more experienced hands. Cat foaled July 8th this year, and we were finally able to pick up mom and baby yesterday.

The filly is sired by Dun-Havens Grand Event. She is still name less for the time, I'm letting her pick it
default_smile.png
. She seems to really like the name Asana (yogurt!)... She is 35 days old today and 25" tall. Mom is 36" and Dad is 38", while at Jen's I was able to see two 1/2 siblings to my filly; one was a yearling only 32" tall, the other a two year old at 34". Event throws SMALL babies, even when bred to B's... Yeah!

It's great to see Cat in the barn again! And the filly is very tiny, and cute! She's into everything! Spunky thing. I'm smitten and I can see why everyone wants to breed... I'm still done with breeding, but I sure am enjoying having a baby around!

Here are some pictures of my filly:

Catsfillydayone020.jpg
Catsfillydayone011.jpg

Catsfillydayone003.jpg

Catsfillydayone008.jpg

Now I do have a question regarding feeding. The mother mare is 19 years old and did not handle the pregnancy well, she was thin through most of the last months. She is still thin and I'll work to getting her weight up. I was told she foundered during the pregnancy (gestational diabetes) so I worry about pumping her too full of protein. She was getting 8 cups a day of senior plus beet pulp and hay (and other stuff?). What I am planning on doing is feeding mostly equine developer (with 16% protein, 3% fat, 8.5% fiber), and some senior feed (with 14% protein, 6% fat, 16% fiber) until the foal is weaned (then that is all she'll get). They are getting hay 24/7 and beet pulp 3x a day too. My question is how much? Because I've started her on a new feed, she's been weaned down with her grain intake for the next few days. I'm thinking I want to work towards having her at around 8 cups (16 oz) equine developer, 4 cups (8 oz) senior, and approximately 10 cups of soaked beet pulp a day, split into 2 or 3 feedings. I'll reevaluate in two or three weeks, but do you think I am on track? Should I work to be feeding more? I worry about the risk of founder, but my priority is getting Cat to a healthy weight safely. Baby is still nursing but also nibbling on grain and hay at this time. The filly is quite chunky!

Catsfillydayone015.jpg

I am so proud and excited about these two, Thank you for letting me share!
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Your baby is STUNNING!!! Congratulations.

I'll let someone more knowledgable offer advice on feeding your mare; she obviously has some special dietary needs at this point.

Again, congratulations!

Congratulations on getting her home Desiree!! I don't have any advice as far as feeding goes, but the filly is beautiful, and Cat is just gorgeous as always
default_wub.png
One could never tell she is 19-- what a great testiment to the care you give
default_aktion033.gif

Dan.

AWWWW! Now I got my baby fix for the day. Actually I don't see were your mare is too thin. I do agree with you on too much protein at her age, it's not good for her kidneys. Maybe have the vet draw some blood and check her kidney and liver function, as too much beet pulp is also not good for a horse with issues. Your vet is a good resouce for feeding her and her nursing foal. Just a thought.

What a gorgeous filly - many congratulations!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I too will leave others to advise you on feeding Cat, but I have to say that I have never had a problem with laminetic/foundered mares having a relapse when feeding a foal - the foal is 'draining' so much in the way of nutrients from the dam.

Do you know why your girl foundered in the first place, you say that you had a lot of trouble to get her in foal? If you had to use 'drugs' etc then they could have upset Cat's system enough to cause a bout of laminitis - did she/has she actually foundered? I have a mare here who is a laminetic and in the past she did founder once, but now she lives out on good grass all year round with her friends with no problem at all (I do keep a very observant eye on her!) But when it comes to worming her, I have to be extremely careful not to 'overdose' her at all, it upsets her system and she will go feely footed within couple of days. Not all laminitis has a grass/overfeeding/etc cause, it can just as easily be caused by compromising a horse's system in some way, so I'm sure Cat will be fine with a good quality food regime, easpecially while feeding her beautiful new filly!

Congratulations Desiree, I can't wait to watch her grow up and am sure to be seeing her at the upcoming shows
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back