Trimming Feet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowgurl_up

Reaction score
Hello,

I really would like to learn how to trim my mini's feet. The farriers here charge way too much, in fact they charge the same price for a mini as they do for doing a big horse. And I still haven't found one to do it quite right. They always leave too much on one side or something so my horses feet aren't balanced right at all.

My question for those of you that do trim your own horses feet is, Where/how did you learn? What tools do you use?

Thanks a ton in advance for the advice!

I learned how to watching a few youtube videos, and my farrier talking me threw what he does...i do my own broodmares but my farrier does the show horses feet as i just dont trust myself doing them yet.

Youtube it and you'll get some great informational videos
default_smile.png

I do all of mine myself even most of my show horses...younger horses I will tend to have a farrier do since I dont want to screw them up when they are in the growing process. I just have watched farriers trim feet my whole life and figured it out on my own
default_smile.png
Its not that hard you just have to have a good eye to see that everything is even and that it has a good angle. My first couple were a little shaky but I am getting much better at it, practice makes perfect. You can find the knife, rasp, and clippers at Theisens and other farm stores but I prefer to get the ones that JT international carries so you just need to find a dealer that carries their stuff.

With only having 1 mini I don't have to use the nippers much at all mostly just good hoof knives and rasps.

I do his feet fairly frequently so he doesn't get a whole lot of growth in between.

I learned on big ones in the late 80's/early 90's with help from farriers (when we had big'uns) and purchased a dvd on how to do minis.

I also enjoy watching Horse Shoe'n Time on tv.. I believe they mail out some dvds for free (you just pay shipping)

I learned how to trim on the big horses in the '70's and '80's. I do my horses for the most part but since I have been sick I found I needed help. I found a farrier that only charges $15 so he is comming out next week. I am on a limited income but I am going to have him do 2 one month and 2 the next. However, if you want to learn to trim there are a ton of very informitive sites that will explain the whole process. I think I searched "Trimming a horses feet".

The farriers here charge way too much, in fact they charge the same price for a mini as they do for doing a big horse.
I agree it can be pricey, particularly if you have a lot of horses to do but I just have to say in defense of farriers every where; If you actually DO trim one yourself you will come to realize that just because they have smaller feet does not mean they are less work. Large horses allow a farrier to be far more comfortable while he bends to trim the foot, minis are so short they can make even the most flexible back sore. I don't mind paying my farrier to do mine even tho he too charges the same to trim a saddle horse because I'm lucky to finish one before my back hurts so much I can barely straighten.

Hubby learned by asking lots of questions and our big horse farrier was always willing to answer anything. He ordered some books too to study about the hoof. He gets really in-depth when it comes to the animals. If we have a problem and do not feel comfortable doing something then we call our farrier. Ours charges the same as a big horse too, but remember it is really back-breaking to have to lean so far down to do those little hooves and we have a couple mini mares that can get a tad nasty
default_wink.png

The farriers here charge way too much, in fact they charge the same price for a mini as they do for doing a big horse.
I agree it can be pricey, particularly if you have a lot of horses to do but I just have to say in defense of farriers every where; If you actually DO trim one yourself you will come to realize that just because they have smaller feet does not mean they are less work. Large horses allow a farrier to be far more comfortable while he bends to trim the foot, minis are so short they can make even the most flexible back sore. I don't mind paying my farrier to do mine even tho he too charges the same to trim a saddle horse because I'm lucky to finish one before my back hurts so much I can barely straighten.
I just wanted to say that I sit on a stool and the farriers I have had come out will get on their knees to do the work. I have worked a long time with my horses to beable to tie to a post and sit to trim them.

My husband does our mini's feet. He learned to trim feet from Lisa's (Runaway Ranch) husband who passed away last year. Hus also just kneels to do feet...

My farrier taught me. He was more than happy to not have to travel an hour to get here after he taught me(he did so for 10+years, he now has way too much clientelle closer to home). He will come out for problem cases and comes out 1-2Xs a year to check my work, so far, he said they look great. It is going on 3 years that I have been doing them myself. Tools I use, a hoof pick, a rasp, nippers and a hoof knife.

Carolyn

I had an excellent farrier who did not like doing the little ones.

He travels with his own rig to do mostly race horses for miles around in Southwestern Ontario. He used to go to Florida and work the track with his farrier business in the winter.

He would come to do our horses but often there was a little more time between visits than I liked.

I started trimming a bit on ones that were getting too long, while waiting for him.

He then started to "critique" my job and gave me some pointers.

Now I have the barracuda nippers, which are unbelievable and do a fabuloius job for me. I am older with arthritic hands and the barracuda nippers make the job a "snap."

I am short and I either kneel or bend over or sit, depending on the horse.

I use a "clip" for the noses of some who get a bit antsy.

Practice makes perfect and in the beginning I would err on the side of leaving them a bit long, in order to avoid tenderness.

Rarely have any issues now and am able to keep everyone looking good all the time.

A good place to start is Pete Ramey's barefoot trim.

http://www.barefoothorse.com/

This will give you sound basics of a proper trim.

You don't want to rocker or dub the toe on the show horses, but you will learn what a balanced hoof looks like.

I do find I still have to pare sole out of the minis, they just retain more sole than the big guys.

It's still a good place to start reading.

Vickie

I learned from a friend who was a farrier, that oversaw my work for around a year.

Some farriers will teach you- you just have to ASK!

Once I knew enough to start asking questions, the other farriers started sharing their secrets with me too.

I am willing to teach any one who is willing to learn.. But most seem to be disintrested once they see what kind of work is involved.

It is well worth learning it though, as you just never know when you are going to need a farrier and not be able to find a good one.

On a lighter note: I have found that my getting comfortable is not likely to happen while trimming hooves.

Insted, when I keep the horse as comfortable as possible,... the trimming jobs seems to go smoother.

I am often guilty of feeding hay while doing hooves.
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My ex was a farrier, so he taught me to do my own. I will have a farrier do my new little mini, since his feet are messed up from improper/no foot care, but when he is normal, I will start doing it myself.

My local tack shop also carries shoeing supplies, so that's where I get my stuff. I have my ex's tool box, since he got hurt and was unable to trim any more. Total shame because he was a super farrier.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences! I have had plenty of time to watch the farrier and I don't blame them for charging the same as a big horses because I do realize the strain that puts on their back. It's more paying them that much to do it and still not have it done right.

I will check out the youtube videos and see what I can learn and then I guess I have to go shopping. = ) I am going to talk to my farrier and see if maybe I can do them one month and him the other so he can keep making sure I am doing it right. At least until I get more comfortable with it.

Thanks again so much!!

I learned by buying Pete Ramey's book and then there is a hoof board on another horse forum I frequent. They have tons of info and you can post pics of your horse and they will help you with what to do to get them where you need them. They are also VERY knowledgeable and very nice to newcomers. I use a diamond brand rasp and a hoof pic. I have no need for nippers and I keep Apple Cider Vineagar on hand always. It helps keep thrush at bay is isn't caustic to the hoof tissue like Kopertox or Thrush buster or any other home or store bought remedy.

If you would like the forums page you can pm me and I will send the link to you. But they are very helpful and one of the most knowledgeable ones is a friend of mine who is a trimmer for our area and Western NC

And if you plan on doing them yourself, take aleve before hand and just wait for the backache to follow. It is much harder on your back than a big horse. Also I haven't tried a 10in rasp yet but I think it would be easier My 14 in rasp is not easy to work with on my mini. I have a yearling and have been doing her feet since she was 2 months since the "best" trimmer in our area was killing her feet.

Hope that helps you out

I learned with the help of my farrier and one vet I used to work for specialized in laminitis. So I watch her a lot.

I got the video from small horse press on trimming your mini. It was pretty good and gave some pointers on trimming.

Barb

I trim my own horses too. I learned on my big horses many years ago and experimented. I started with practicing rasping first, then the knife and finally the nippers. Now I used mainly the knife occasionaly and mostly the rasp. I enjoy doing my guys as I get the trim I like. I like a little more heal than some due to having jumping horses. Haven't had any sore horses ~ I always have my vet check their feet every year during their annuals just to ensure I am on a good path. So far, so good!

An elder gentleman taught me how to trim feet. He was a good old time cowboy and figured it was important to learn because you can't always find a farrier when you need one. I thank him for that skill all the time. Lost him though in 1997.

Back