Trimming dog nails...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvwalkers

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I really don't enjoy trimming toenails, I am always affraid of taking too much. most of their nails are black so I can't see how far I can go. Anyway, I have bought 4 or 5 pairs of dog clippers over the last year and none of them work very well. Does anyone have a picture or name/name brand of what works best for you? my dogs will thank you
default_biggrin.png
, Nikki
[/SIZE]

I have used nothing other than Millers Forge nail clippers in many years.

Here is a link...I use the red handled ones on the bottom of the page with the safety.

Millers Forge Nail Clippers

If you run a search you can find them at many places. I have never tried the other style, just the red handled ones.

Shelley

[SIZE=12pt]thank you Shelley, I am going to have to get a pair of those, wondering though what size to order? hmmm...[/SIZE]

Whatever you do, don't waste your money on those electronic "QuickFinder" Clippers!
default_wacko.png

The Millers Forge brand are what I usually use in the parlour. Proper size would depend upon the size of your dog(s). If you have medium or large dogs, a large pair should do fine. Small dogs (under 10-15 pounds) are easier to do with a smaller pair. Ordering the guillotine style or regular clippers is just a matter of preference.

Since you are concerned about quicking, I suggest you also order some Kwik Stop powder. When clipping, just take off the very tips and remember that you can always take off more. Do this every two weeks, and your dog's nails will be right where they're supposed to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use our big toe clippers for small puppies and the trimmer you buy at a dollar store.

You do not need anything fancy or expensive.
default_wub.png
Just to add dog groomers hit the quick too.

1. If this is the first time you have clipped the nails, or if the nails are unusually long merely 'tip' the nail on the first session. The reason for this is that the quick can be very close to the surface and it is safe practice to become accustomed to your dog's nails through subsequent clippings. 'Tipping' the nail simply involves stabilizing the guide portion of the clippers to the surface of the nail and taking a very thin shaving of the nail off with the blade. Tipping the nail will cause the quick to recede a bit more each time you do it. This is especially comforting if your dog has black nails.

2. If by chance you happen to hit the quick of a nail and the nail starts to bleed, don't allow your dog to wrench away from you and run around. The reason for this is two- fold, by not taking control of this problem he will learn to fear the nail cutting. If you hold him firm and reassure him that you know it hurt, he will trust you. Second, you need to get styptic or corn starch powder onto the end of the nail. Simply keep the original grasp you had on the paw and press the powder to the end of the nail until the bleeding stops. You may have to keep packing powder for two to three minutes, but the longer you are able to apply steady pressure, the more effectively you will stop the bleeding. (Don't be concerned if your dog wants to lick the wound after initial bleeding stops. Do keep him from prancing about for at least fifteen minutes).

3. Trimming your dog's nails at home can be difficult. It is safest not to cut to the nail any further past than flush to the bottom of his foot. Accidents can happen, and when they do there's no need to rush of to the vet's. Run to the bathroom, dry off any excess bleeding with some toilet paper and grab a bar of soap that is fairly soft. With firm pressure on his toe, scrape his nail through the soft bar of soap. This should push the quick back and plug the nail, stopping the bleeding.

4. If it is really bleeding heat up end of flat knife on the stove and touch hot end on the nail. It will take two to do this job. Hubby and I had to do this a couple of times.

Trial and error. I have never found a nail trimmer that will stop you from cutting into the quick all dog nails are different, depending on how ofter they get trimmed.

It might take them a little getting used to, but you could try a small Dremel tool to grind them down (bought one at Lowe's or Home Depot for about $30; it has 2 speed settings). I do my 2 boxers nails this way, since getting the second one as a pup and his breeder showed me how she kept the dogs' nails so short. It takes a couple more minutes than clippers, but you won't hurt them by accidentally cutting too much off.

This way you don't quick them, and you can get the nails nice and short over time (the quick recedes a little each time you trim this way too). It was really good for my rescue boxer who had overgrown, terrible snap-off-and crack-and-bleed nails.

[SIZE=12pt]I have alway trimmed the little dogs, the big dogs seem to keep theirs worn down and never need trimming. I used to be better at keeping up with it but then about a year ago made one the them yelp but no blood. I guess I got kind of leary and let them go longer inbetween trimmings then I should have. I have been trimming them every 2 weeks. I have only been taking a little and don't seem to be gaining
default_sad.png
I will just have to keep working at them and get braver and take alittle more next time. Nikki
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]I have a dremel, sounds like it might work, the only problem I can see is our Papillon is not to keen on getting her nails done, it's like trying to hold onto a carp :DOH! , I can see her flipping and twisting now...
default_biggrin.png
[/SIZE]

Just a word about the dremmels. I've never used one, but in our obedience and puppy classes...they warned if we decided to get our pups used to it, be careful that the dremmel can heat up against the nails.

Good point, Sterling. I'll add that if you or your dog has long hair, dremels can also catch hair and cause serious injury.

I have an old arthritic dog and using any type of cliper on her wont work. So I use a grinder in the shop, its pneumatic, but a Dremmel type would work just as fine. You can take off as little or much as you want and can shape and file them smooth.

We use a dremel too, a 2 speed rechargable type. We keep the hair between the pads trimmed to help keep them from slipping on the wood floor. For dogs that squirm, a shot of peanut butter on the roof of the mouth usually keeps them busy worrying about sucking that down and they don't worry as much about their feet.

We use a dremel also. Love it! We start using it on the pups and by the time they are bigger they are use to the sound. It does heat up in your hands and if you have long hair watch out, I bent over it one time and wham it caught my hair and it got twisted up on my head so fast, hubby was laughing his butt off while I'm trying to turn that sucker off-finally I pulled it from the wall! :DOH! Left a good bald spot.
default_biggrin.png

Other than that we love it, gets them nice and short and you can shape them too. No jagged or sharp nails here.

We use a dremel here also. For my keeshond I put a nylon stocking on his foot, with his nails poking through, it keeps all his hair out of the way and only takes a second to do. My poodle puppy is already used to and very good for getting his nails filed.

I use the same that Shelley mentioned...

If you take just a little off each week, eventually the blood line will recede.

[SIZE=12pt]thanks for all the tips. I'll let you know how it goes 14 days...ugh...[/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back