Trick Training

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wings

Reaction score
Has anyone trained their mini to bow?

I've just started the work with Pallidon but he is so bendy, balanced and general flexible that he can contort any direction to reach the treat without dropping down for it. Would love some help!

The other thing we've done some basics of is the spanish walk, but I don't want to confuse his signals for that with how I ask for him to shift his legs in the halter ring. Anyone trained this?

default_saludando.gif
i dont no would love to try it my self

try u tube thay may have some videos

Yup, putting a lot of time in on youtube! Rotten smart and bendy horses
default_new_rofl.gif

Dapper Dan bows. He tries to bow when I pick up his foot to do hoof work and I have to tell him no. He only gets praised if he bows when I give the cues.

When I say "are you ready to bow" he hurries to get beside me and can hardly wait for the cues. Did I say he is very food oriented??
default_smile.png

I started by bending his front leg and stretching it back, with one hand on his back. The knee must touch the ground. When he got that down, I held a treat between his front legs to lure his head down. He doesn't get the treat unless he goes all the way down with his knee touching the ground.

I'd like for him to stay in the bow position until I say "up", but we haven't mastered that.

Many forum members have taught their horses amazing tricks.

That's one of the things I'm trying to be careful of. I really don't want to stuff up his halter ring cues!

I like the curtsey for the girls, I think it's so cute! Rather then take one leg back they get them to bend down for the treat. No idea how they train that one.

I'm trying to get Palli to reach for the treat between his front legs while I'm holding up one of them, I'm trying to enocurage him to do a bit of reaching for it but he is fighting the bend
default_wacko.png

I really want him to reach for it and give me the bend rather then drag him down as some people have.

Danielle, who has Gypsies and Minis, trick trains many of her horses and has done for years. You can find her at All Star Farm. I'm sure she'd be glad to offer advice.

Lizzie

Food helps alot
default_yes.gif
Iv trained my stallion to give me each foot when i ask..lots of people i know dont like to use food treats they always tell me it makes ponies nippy..iv always used foody treats with all my animals when training none of them are nippy
default_no.gif
even the piggies
default_smile.png

The book "Mini School: Train Your Mini to Be All He Can Be" by Sabine Ellinger has a chapter on trick training which covers bowing, kneeling, lying down, sitting, Spanish Walk, Rearing and standing on a pedestal in addition to tons more info on general training and dressage movements. The driving section is not too useful but overall the book is very good. I think it was around $20 at Amazon.

My mini is not home yet so have not trained him, but my shetland have I trained to bow, rise or what ist's called
default_laugh.png
and lay down
default_wub.png

default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, pretty swish looking horse SWA! CHuckie Chuckles is also a cutie
default_biggrin.png

Thanks everyoen for all the links and recomendations. I don't think Palli will find a way out of all of them the smart little turd
default_new_rofl.gif

Back